A Shocking Experience

Old November 20th, 2011, 08:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_2_]

Default A Shocking Experience

Note:
Actual date of survey trip was November 15th.
Location was Imperial Division of the Colorado River
This post was copied from my forums.

I got the opportunity to go out with Russ & Mark with AZGFD last night on
the shock boat to do a bass survey. It was a blast, although I felt that
Mark and Russ did all the work while all I had to do was the fun part.
Netting stunned fish. I think they said we netted and recorded 116 fish on
seven different sites. Those included:

Largemouth bass
channel catfish
flathead catfish
yellow bullhead catfish
red ear sunfish
bluegill
warmouth
tilapia
crappie
striped bass
threadfin shad
and a couple bullfrogs

We did not log every fish netted, and we didn't net even a fraction of the
fish stunned. The primary species was bass and in one amazing stretch we
didn't even net all of the larger bass stunned.

Because I have fished every place we shocked last night it gave me an
interesing perspective on the numbers of fish in those places. In a couple
places the results were very close to what I expected, but in one stretch I
was totally floored. I've always caught fish there, but based on the shear
numbers of quality fish we shocked relative to my catch rates there I have
come to the conclusion I suck as a bass fisherman. LOL.

If you ever get the chance to go out on a shock boat in areas were you fish
you should go. Russ and Mark are old hands at this, but I had an absolute
blast. At midnight we loaded the boat and headed back to Yuma, but I would
have been up to hit a couple more areas. I was tired, and I wasn't doing
the most of the actual work, but it was so much fun I would have loved to go
again. I even told them if anybody cancels on the rest of their surveys to
call me I would love to go again.

I think the biggest fish netted was a flathead that looked to be about six
pounds to me. There were a bunch of bass in the 2-3 pound range, 4 or 5 in
the 4 pound class, and one approaching 5. I think we netted close to 100
bass from 2 inches to almost 5 pounds.

The other thing to note is we shocked thousands of shad. There were a lot
of them in the 6 inch class.

We didn't shock a lot of crappie, but the ones we did were pretty big. Mark
was the one who got them, and he said he thought they were bass at first.

As expected there weren't a lot of bass in the shallow baren silt flats, but
where there was a major change within them there were decent numbers. I
also think in a couple areas were there was a lot of bait fish (shad and
sunfish both) and heavy grass we weren't seeing the bass that were there
come up from under the grass but where in a couple places there was a break
in it we did have some stunned fish that were seeable and netable.

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. We worked all after sunset, and while we
did shock a lot of quality fish there were no toads. I have caught quite a
number on regular hook and line bigger than the biggest ones we shocked.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Tournament Director
www.YumaProAm.com

ROFB FAQ
www.ROFB.net

Old November 22nd, 2011, 03:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

I followed a shocking boat around way back in the 1970s on Jackson
Lake here. At one point they told us to fish a blowdown before they
shocked it. Bob and I made a dozen casts each to the tree with no
bites. When they ran the chains up around it, two five pound bass came
up. Showed me that just because you don't get a bite don't mean there
aren't fish there!

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
danl

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 18:03:28 -0800 (PST), Ronnie
wrote:

I followed a shocking boat around way back in the 1970s on Jackson
Lake here. At one point they told us to fish a blowdown before they
shocked it. Bob and I made a dozen casts each to the tree with no
bites. When they ran the chains up around it, two five pound bass came
up. Showed me that just because you don't get a bite don't mean there
aren't fish there!

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Both interesting accounts. Always wanted to follow or be on a shock
boat. A friend in Oconto County, WI followed a shocking boat on a
stretch of the Oconto River that he lived on and we all fished. We
had all caught 12" to 19" Browns along there. There were times at
night when huge splashes occurred when fishing jointed Rapalas, but
never a hook up. The shock boat measured browns up to 30" along that
stretch!! These were Browns that had no access to lakes.

Dan