Reel mechanics

Old January 22nd, 2006, 07:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default Reel mechanics

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:03:25 GMT, "Doug"
sent into the ether:

Hi everyone!

Say, does anyone know of someone reputable that does maintenance on higher
end reels? I have a couple Shimano Sustains that need bearing upgrades and
basically gone thru to get ready for the season. I would like the
reassurance that they are actually a business too and not an individual
working out of there living room, a website maybe would help. I guess what
I'm saying is that if I send my reels somewhere, I want to KNOW that I"ll
get them back.

No one in my area does any reel repair except one guy, I don't think he does
much but squirt oil around the external parts that's it. I took a reel to
him for the same problem 3 different times and I know he never cracked the
case. I used white lithium grease normally myself, and before I took the
reel to him the 3rd time, I put a drop of blue grease in the crank case and
it was still there upon return and he assured me he redid the whole thing
for a 3rd time. No way.......

Anyway, if anyone has an rec's, I would be interested!

Thanx,

Doug

These might help. Jerry Barton posted them a while back. I know
others out here are also aware of other service places.
http://heartlandtackleservice.com/shimano.stm
http://home.att.net/~kelley_brown/reelservice.html
http://members.cox.net/del-mart/hotrod.html

I've learned that I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it!

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
www.SecretWeaponLures.com
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!

Old January 22nd, 2006, 09:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

http://www.fishingreelrepair.com - this is the website for
Southwestern Parts & Service in Dallas, TX. I've never had them work on
any of mine, but I've had them recommended numerous times. I did buy a
used reel they reconditioned, and it's smooooooth.

Old January 22nd, 2006, 11:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Don Beck
Fisherman' Blessing
4824 Old Hickory Blvd.
Hermitage, TN 37076
(615) 232-5999

Old January 23rd, 2006, 03:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Alright, thanx everyone, I will look into these and I appreciate your time
in replying!!

Doug

"Jerry Barton" wrote in message
Don Beck
Fisherman' Blessing
4824 Old Hickory Blvd.
Hermitage, TN 37076
(615) 232-5999

Old January 23rd, 2006, 06:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

You could always send it to the manufacturer, or use one of their authorized
places, if that suits your fancy.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/cont..._services.html

Old January 23rd, 2006, 07:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Ollie Damon
Portland, Or
503 232 3193

Has been in the reel repair business since just after WW2, also repairs
Coleman products, Minn Kota trolling motors etc.

They get reels and gear from the guides all over the world in ammo boxes
etc. in huge numbers for repair every year.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 05:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

I'll second Jerry's post and say that Fishermans Blessing is where mine are
going. Actually, I've got a rod blank that I'm going to take to him this
weekend to have built. Great prices... and local too! LOL

Old January 23rd, 2006, 09:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Okay, I'll give him a try and see how it goes. I seen his name come up in a
couple posts last year when I frequented the r.o.f.b. but couldn't remember
the name until I seen Jerry's post. Lights and whistles went off.
I know you all spoke highly of him in the past and looks as though his
reputation is still in good standing.

I have sent a reel into the factory before for repair, they sent it back and
said nothing was needed, and that it was in proper working order. It took
over a month from beginning to end to get it back, (mostly cause it was in
California I suppose) and turned out to be an upsetting experience since it
still had the problem and it was SMALLIE SEASON!!.

I've just had some bad luck with reel repair I guess. Starting to feel a
bit like Schleprock when it comes to picking repairmen.. lol

Anyway, I'll give this guy a try and I do appreciate the info.

:-)

Doug