Winner Boats or Ned Momany

Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Slinkeey

Default Winner Boats or Ned Momany

Hello,

Does anyone know if Ned Momany is still in the boat buildig business
or if any of the molds from the Winner Boat Company are still in use
to date? They made some great boats in their day!

Jeff
Old August 4th, 2009, 01:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

Slinkeey wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone know if Ned Momany is still in the boat buildig business
or if any of the molds from the Winner Boat Company are still in use
to date? They made some great boats in their day!

Jeff

I ran a factory Winner in the mid-to late 80s. I believe the last
Winners that came out of Dickson TN were labeled '89 models, but were
actually built/shipped in late '88.

Ned had some trouble meeting insurance payments after a principal in the
company made of with a large chunk of the bankroll, and closed up shop
in '88. He resurfaced a couple years later at Bass Pro, about the time
the glass boat division of Tracker was becoming Nitro, but wasn't there
all that long, to my knowledge.

The holding company that bought everything out (and came to get my
factory boat) sold most everything to the guys who started Sprint boats.
Sprint had the same hull design, but weighed about 2/3 as much, and
didn't use the 'no-wood' stringer/transom system that made the Winner
unique at the time.

Ned was 60 when I met him in the mid-80s, so if he's still around, he
would have to be in his mid-80s.

Old August 4th, 2009, 02:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Slinkeey

On Aug 3, 7:18*pm, RichZ
wrote:
Slinkeey wrote:
[...]

Ahhh.... Sprint Boats.. I aslso heard Aries may have also gotten some
of the molds.

Those boats still had wood in the transom though I beleive. I think
many other Bass boat manufacturers had wood stringers even into the
90s. Did they get the fiberglass grid system idea from the older
Winner Boat company that was bought up by Thompson?

My parents had a Winner Chameleon and my mother seams to remember that
you got a great boat for the money.

I kind of want to get my hands on a Winner. The fiberglass stringer
system makes me want to beleive that a Winner from the late 80s can
still be a great shape. The only thing that scares me is the wood in
the transom. Maybe when it is time to shop the used market, I should
just forget about Winner....

One thing that I found interesting is that they made a boat called a
Spirit.. It looks like a Ski Boat / Runabout on a bass boat's hull. I
am guessing it was to compete with the smaller Checkmates.

Wow I didn't realize Ned was in his 60's when he was involved with
Winner.
Old August 4th, 2009, 10:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

Slinkeey wrote:

One thing that I found interesting is that they made a boat called a
Spirit.. It looks like a Ski Boat / Runabout on a bass boat's hull. I
am guessing it was to compete with the smaller Checkmates.

Wow I didn't realize Ned was in his 60's when he was involved with
Winner.

Many bass boat manufacturers did the same thing. There's a guy around
the corner from me with a fairly recent skeeter runabout. Then again,
Hydrostream had a bass boat for one year, and so did Mastercraft (that's
right, it was the Bass Nautique).

Winner had a full line of Sal****er boats in the late 80s as well. Great
big Cuddy Cabins and Center Consoles.
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Slinkeey

On Aug 4, 4:43*pm, RichZ
wrote:
Slinkeey wrote:

One thing that I found interesting is that they made a boat called a
Spirit.. It looks like a Ski Boat / Runabout on a bass boat's hull. *I
am guessing it was to compete with the smaller Checkmates.

Wow I didn't realize Ned was in his 60's when he was involved with
Winner.

Many bass boat manufacturers did the same thing. There's a guy around
the corner from me with a fairly recent skeeter runabout. Then again,
Hydrostream had a bass boat for one year, and so did Mastercraft (that's
right, it was the Bass Nautique).

Interesting..

Winner had a full line of Sal****er boats in the late 80s as well. Great
big Cuddy Cabins and Center Consoles.

I knew about these.... I think I can find these easier then the bass
boats.

What do you think about a 20+ year old winner that has been taken care
of.. If one can find one for the right price do you think it would be
worth looking at?
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Slinkeey

Many bass boat manufacturers did the same thing. There's a guy around
the corner from me with a fairly recent skeeter runabout. Then again,
Hydrostream had a bass boat for one year, and so did Mastercraft (that's
right, it was the Bass Nautique).

I am not talking Fish & Ski either.. I am talking closed bow....
hehe....
Old August 6th, 2009, 12:31 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

Slinkeey wrote:
Many bass boat manufacturers did the same thing. There's a guy around
the corner from me with a fairly recent skeeter runabout. Then again,
Hydrostream had a bass boat for one year, and so did Mastercraft (that's
right, it was the Bass Nautique).

I am not talking Fish & Ski either.. I am talking closed bow....
hehe....

Right. That's what the skeeter around the corner was.
Old August 6th, 2009, 12:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

Slinkeey wrote:

What do you think about a 20+ year old winner that has been taken care
of.. If one can find one for the right price do you think it would be
worth looking at?

My kid has a 23 year old dynatrak that's been great since he replaced
the floors.

And he's got a buddy with a Winner about the same age. The boat is very
sound, but rodents chewed up the wiring to the front panel as well as
the front livewell drain hose, and they are talking about popping the
cap to repair it properly, Will be interesting to see how good the
condition is under the floor..
Old August 6th, 2009, 09:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Slinkeey

On Aug 5, 6:35*pm, RichZ
wrote:
Slinkeey wrote:

What do you think about a 20+ year old winner that has been taken care
of.. *If one can find one for the right price do you think it would be
worth looking at?

My kid has a 23 year old dynatrak that's been great since he replaced
the floors.

And he's got a buddy with a Winner about the same age. The boat is very
sound, but rodents chewed up the wiring to the front panel as well as
the front livewell drain hose, and they are talking about popping the
cap to repair it properly, Will be interesting to see how good the
condition is under the floor..

Nice to see people taking care of these old boats.

Interesting to see how the fiberglass stringer system held up in that
Winner.
Can't get to the wiring on the front panel by popping up some of the
floor instead?

Oooh that front livewell hose.... My parents winner Fish N Ski had
that pop off and it was a real treat to get at..
That hose popping off and the battery shelf were the only things that
ever had a problem on their Winner.

The battery shelf may have been aftermarket from the Marina when
adding trolling motor package.

The Winner's had a wood transum but fiberglass stringers...

Many of the other manufacturers didn't get the wood out of their
stringers until the 90's I think Ranger had a no wul transom in the
80's though.. Funny how winner tackled the stringers first when
everyone else appeared to go after the transom.
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Slinkeey

On Aug 5, 6:35*pm, RichZ
wrote:
Slinkeey wrote:

What do you think about a 20+ year old winner that has been taken care
of.. *If one can find one for the right price do you think it would be
worth looking at?

My kid has a 23 year old dynatrak that's been great since he replaced
the floors.

And he's got a buddy with a Winner about the same age. The boat is very
sound, but rodents chewed up the wiring to the front panel as well as
the front livewell drain hose, and they are talking about popping the
cap to repair it properly, Will be interesting to see how good the
condition is under the floor..

So Close but bad engine... Wants 1200 for the boat... I suppose it
all depends on how much it costs to repair the outboard...
http://madison.craigslist.org/boa/1308460063.html