Leaders and lines

Old January 8th, 2011, 04:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve W.

Default Leaders and lines

OK new question...

Been sitting here going through the gear. Cleaning and lubing the reels,
checking poles for problems.

Now for the fun part.
Re-spool time.

Line wise I will probably be reloading a few with braid. Those will be
15-50 pound gear. The spinning reels will probably get good mono line
4-20# range)

So what have you used and how did you like it. And NO I don't want to
hear how I should ONLY use line made by XXXXX because it rocks..
I'd like to hear the real stories, warts and all.

Now maybe if you managed to snag a bikini off some 20 year old blond
using a particular line and hook....

What are you using for leader material? Do you use a leader all the
time? When you do how long are they? One guy I talked to recently was
saying that he uses a leader that is able to wrap at least 4 times
around the spool when the line is in.

--
Steve W.
Old January 8th, 2011, 04:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Steve W." wrote in message

65 braid flipping and frogging. (used to use 50, but got tired of breaking
off)

14 mono deep cranking and large poppers

12 mono regular cranking and popping

10 mono small cranking and popping usually on spinning tackle

17 mono buzzbait

6-10 flouro finnesse pretty much always on spinning tackle

12 flouro everyday 5" senko

14 mono medium blade

10-12 mono small blade

For each application I use the strongest line that does not kill the action
of the bait and is still castable. Its like hooks for plastics. Always use
the biggest hook that does not kill the action of the bait. Each rod also
is suited to the application.

I never use leaders, but I do spool braid on spliced with a back to back
uniknot to a dozen feet or so of 25-30 lb mono backing. The mono will not
slip on the spool with an arbor knot.

Hopefully one of the other regulars will pipe up and argue with me so you
can get some idea why for each application.

Old January 8th, 2011, 03:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

"Steve W." wrote in message
[...]

Hey Steve,

I'm a little different than Bob. I use braided line on ALL my reels with
the exception of the rod/reel that I crappie fish with. For that rod, I
like to use 1/32nd oz. jigs and a slip bobber. When braided line get's
broken in well, it gets a little fuzzy and the weight of the jig isn't
enough to pull the fuzzy line through the bobber to the stop.

I primarily use PowerPro, although I have tried and like High Seas braid.
It's a good line too, but not as easy to find in west Tennessee as PowerPro
is.

Now some people claim that they don't like PowerPro because it's noisy
coming through the guides. I personally love that sound because it usually
means I have a fish on! Some people don't like PowerPro because it loses
its color quickly. That doesn't bother me because when it starts losing
color, that only means that it's nice and limp, getting broke in. Some
people don't like PowerPro because they feel it's too visible. Again, that
doesn't bother me because I don't believe a fish has the reasoning
capability to figure out that there's fishing line attached to the lure.
And no, I rarely, if ever use a leader when I'm fishing. It's just not
necessary. The ONLY time I do use a leader is when I'm fishing in/around
zebra mussels. Braided line doesn't have the abrasion resistance that mono
does. So then I use a Uni-Uni knot and tie on a 6 foot leader and use it
until it's about 18 inches long.

I use 65 lb. for frogging and jigging.

I use 50 lb. for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and Carolina rigs.

I use 30 lb. for crankbaits open water spinnerbait applications.

I use 8 and 10 lb. on my spinning reels for fishing wacky rigged worms,
flukes, dropshotting and all other finesse applications.
--
Steve Huber
Executive Producer/Editor in Chief

Old January 8th, 2011, 10:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty[_2_]

I use spinning gear with 15# braid, no leader and use that for just about
everything. Steve talked about abrasion resistance; I think he's talking
rocks, etc., because braid has fantastic abrasion resistance against wood
and vegetation. I think it's a waste of money to not use backing. I use
enough cheap mono backing to allow about 50 yards of braid to actually fish
with.

Old January 8th, 2011, 11:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve W.

Marty wrote:
I use spinning gear with 15# braid, no leader and use that for just about
everything. Steve talked about abrasion resistance; I think he's talking
rocks, etc., because braid has fantastic abrasion resistance against wood
and vegetation. I think it's a waste of money to not use backing. I use
enough cheap mono backing to allow about 50 yards of braid to actually fish
with.

Rocks are one obstacle in a couple of the rivers I fish. They are much
worse after the flooding last year though. We had very fast water that
did more damage in two days than the last three floods combined.
LOT'S of large boulders that were retaining walls for the creeks made it
downstream to the river. Most are rectangular blocks with nice sharp
edges! Cuts most line like a knife... Almost makes me want to switch
wire line some days.

The local bass ponds and lakes are usually just tree snags. Being stuck
on shore last year made those interesting. I actually had a small remote
control boat that I would attach to the line and use it to free the
snag. Worked pretty well. And was MUCH easier that dealing with a full
sized boat.

Hoping to get back on the water this year. Currently looking for a jon
boat to work on and turn into a fishing platform. Seen one locally that
the owner says it stainless steel! Told the wife that It would be
interesting having a mirror bottomed boat.

--
Steve W.
Old January 8th, 2011, 11:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Marty" wrote in message
I use spinning gear with 15# braid, no leader and use that for just about
everything. Steve talked about abrasion resistance; I think he's talking
rocks, etc., because braid has fantastic abrasion resistance against wood
and vegetation. I think it's a waste of money to not use backing. I use
enough cheap mono backing to allow about 50 yards of braid to actually fish
with.

Yep, against rocks and mussels, braid doesn't work well. Against wood and
vegetation, I don't worry about it, the braid will saw through weeds like a
weed whacker!

And I think it's a waste to use mono for backing. I tie direct to the spool
and fill the spool, using tape to secure the line to the spool and prevent
the line from slipping on the spool. Then, when the line level is down
enough that I need to think about replacing, THEN I tie on some similar
diameter mono and fill the spool. I take that mono end and tie that onto a
different reel of the same size and fill the spool.

That way I reverse the line and use the "unused" back half of the reel and
double the life of one spool of line.

Old January 9th, 2011, 05:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_4_]

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com" wrote in message

"Steve W." wrote in message
[...]

I tried that based on some of Steve's past advice and I can see the benefit.
It give really nice feedback for lots of applications. It's a really nice
feel for blades, and for that being able to feel the blades turn can be
critical. Often a large chaser will engulf the bait and keep swimming. If
you can't feel the blades stop turning it may spit the bait before you know
to speed up and sweep the rod.

My problem is that except for the heaviest braids I just didn't seem to get
very good life out of my braid. I broke off freshly tied 30lb on hooksets.
I launched spinnerbaits into orbit on the tiniest little bind during a cast
etc. I also used PowerPro for a long time, and its great initially, but it
would start to get rotten on me. Perhaps it the dry air or the harsh
natural radiation in Arizona, but it was really only good for a few trips on
deck or maybe half a season if stored below deck. I store my boat indoors.
I get the same life out of mono and good quality mono is still cheaper.

In the 65# line I use for flipping and frogging I've found I can use Stren
Super Braid all season until it starts to get short from cutting off and
retying. I have had a few that seemed to get "rotten," but those were
spooled up on rods I use every single time I go out. Rods that were on deck
and exposed to the Arizona sun 50-60 days a year or more.

I don't disagree with Steve, and I definitely see the appeal of using all
braid for all except a few of the most severe clear water finesse
presentations. I even know guys who fish cranks and popper on braid, but
you better have the right rod for the job if you do. Its really easy to
straighten out those light hooks and rip them out of the fish. (The pros I
know who do this also usually swap out all the hooks on those baits too.)

Ultimately you have to take all this information and figure out what works
best FOR YOU.

Old January 9th, 2011, 05:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_4_]

"Steve W." wrote in message
[...]

There is one rock face I fish regularly. It has several fallen rocks in
front of it. Two of them have tempted me to get out my snorkeling stuff and
an air hammer. It doesn't matter what line I am using if a fish swims
across them it slices through like a razor. I've gotten used to fishing it
though and when I fish the space between I have the trolling motor turned
towards the rock and I'm ready to lift my rod up high after I set the hook.
If they don't get under the log at the far end I've got them.

Old January 9th, 2011, 08:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve W.

Bob La Londe wrote:

There is one rock face I fish regularly. It has several fallen rocks in
front of it. Two of them have tempted me to get out my snorkeling stuff
and an air hammer. It doesn't matter what line I am using if a fish
swims across them it slices through like a razor. I've gotten used to
fishing it though and when I fish the space between I have the trolling
motor turned towards the rock and I'm ready to lift my rod up high after
I set the hook. If they don't get under the log at the far end I've got
them.

One of the places I fish is a lot like fishing in a box of razors...

--
Steve W.
Old January 10th, 2011, 01:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

I don't use leaders on braid - mostly because I have only one outfit
rigged with braid and use it for throwing frogs in grass. Everything
else I fish on mono or fluorocarbon

Ronnie

http://fising.about.com

Old fly lines Bob[_3_] Fly Fishing 1 October 3rd, 2009 02:28 PM
Lines MC Fly Fishing 2 November 11th, 2007 10:57 AM
hi-vis lines Andrew Horvath Bass Fishing 0 October 4th, 2007 07:16 PM
fly lines mat Fly Fishing 1 September 22nd, 2006 05:27 PM
fly lines gary Fly Fishing 5 January 8th, 2004 08:01 PM