White perch

Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:49 PM
Jeff Durham

Default White perch

In a lake that I fish in SW Ohio, we occasionally catch drum using lead head
jigs when fishing for crappie and saugeye. I have heard others on this lake
make reference to catching white perch. First, I assume there is a
difference between these two type of fish. Second, I am not sure they know
what they are talking about. I have never caught nor seen a white perch,
but maybe they do exist in this lake. What are the main differences between
these fish from an identification standpoint? The drum I thought had a
round mouth more like a sucker which is very different from panfish. Maybe
I am the one who cannot tell the difference.

By the way, is white perch a good fish to eat?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:42 PM
IBNFSHN

White Perch are excellent eating.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

Old June 22nd, 2004, 11:23 PM
RichZ

White perch is 1st cousin to a striped bass (much smaller, and without the
stripes)

http://www.fishbase.org/images/Moame_u0.jpg

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:11 AM
Marty

"RichZ" wrote in message
White perch is 1st cousin to a striped bass (much smaller, and without the
stripes)

Also same family as white bass. In my neck of the woods, I occasionally ran
into schools where I'd get a strike almost every cast, and they were mixed
schools, both white bass and white perch. Lots of fun on a 4# outfit. Those
fish would hit like a ton of bricks.

Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:15 AM
G. M. Zimmermann

White Perch is related to white bass and striped bass. They look kind of like
a white bass without the stripes. I don't think they get quite as big as white
bass, but I could be wrong on that.

-Zimmy
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:43 PM
RichZ

G. wrote:
I don't think they get quite as big as white
bass, but I could be wrong on that.

You're not. Most of them are about 10 inches long, tops. Biggest I've ever
seen was just over 3 pounds. They tend to overpopulate lakes and get
somewhat stunted.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old June 23rd, 2004, 03:29 PM
Bob La Londe

"RichZ" wrote in message
G. wrote:
I don't think they get quite as big as white
bass, but I could be wrong on that.

You're not. Most of them are about 10 inches long, tops. Biggest I've ever
seen was just over 3 pounds. They tend to overpopulate lakes and get
somewhat stunted.

So can striper.

--
Public Fishing & Boating Forums
Fishing & Boating Link Index

Old June 23rd, 2004, 04:08 PM
Jeff Durham

Thanks for the info. I will be on the look out for these white perch. On
Ohio DNR's website, it sounds like there is a possibility they could be in
the lake I fish, but they are not native to Ohio, but rather the Atlantic
Coast.

Jeff

Old June 23rd, 2004, 04:43 PM
Bob La Londe

I don't know about the native part, but we would catch them from time to
time on Lake Erie over 20 years ago.

Old June 24th, 2004, 03:53 AM
RGarri7470

They tend to overpopulate lakes and get
somewhat stunted.

So can striper.

--
Public Fishing & Boating Forums

Stripers aren't able to reproduce in any lakes aroudn here - they are all
stocked. Maybe they are differnet out there but have never heard of them
overpopulating a lake.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com