So Wolfgang and Joel...Any Fish?

Old April 26th, 2004, 02:24 AM
George Cleveland

Default So Wolfgang and Joel...Any Fish?

*see above

g.c.
Old April 26th, 2004, 03:47 AM
Joel Axelrad

George Cleveland wrote....

So Wolfgang and Joel...Any Fish?

Yes George. Wolf brought to hand about 13 or 14 for the day. All released. I
managed to land only 3. Hooked and lost 3 others and had many strikes. All in
the 9-11" range. All Brown's except for one nice fat Rainbow Wolf got.

The weather stayed almost perfect for the day. 50-55º, overcast, and no rain.

We spent a good part of the AM scouting around. Never got fuirther west than
Trout Creek where we fished several spots. Had good luck there. Ended the day
at Black Earth Creek again with much success.

A caddis emerger was, most likely, the best fly to use but I got my first
hookup on, of all things, a Royal Trude. Go figure. The fly of the day for
Wolf was - you guessed it - the Pass Lake. Why that stupid fly attracts any
fish is beyond me. But it do! And my man Wolf certainly knows how to present
it.

It was a real fine day and we missed ya. Next time.

Joel Axelrad
**DFD**
Old April 26th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Wolfgang

"George Cleveland" wrote in message
news
*see above

Joel pretty much covered it. I'll simply add that it was great to be
out fishing in good company and that I only caught fish after moving
into whatever spot Joel had just left.....they just don't like that
boy.

Wolfgang

Old April 27th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Danl

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"George Cleveland" wrote in message
news
*see above

Joel pretty much covered it. I'll simply add that it was great to be
out fishing in good company and that I only caught fish after moving
into whatever spot Joel had just left.....they just don't like that
boy.

Wolfgang

Not to highjack your thread or nothin, but.....

my buddy, Harry, will be visiting his offspring in Madison this weekend. I
made the gross faux pas of mentioning that I had read that there were
troutly streams in the area and now, well, brother can ya spare a tip? Is
there a stream that you would recommend a stretch of water to hit for a
couple of hours within striking distance of Madison?

Danl

Old April 27th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Jeff Miller

Joel Axelrad wrote:

A caddis emerger was, most likely, the best fly to use but I got my first
hookup on, of all things, a Royal Trude. Go figure.

odd enough...on a lark, i tied on a royal trude when we fished that
stream last year near merrill with gc and the jazzman (anyone heard of
or from him?) in the evening. caught fish after fish with it...didn't do
as well with anything else. when in wisconsin, gotta do the trude,
dude! g

looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

The fly of the day for
Wolf was - you guessed it - the Pass Lake. Why that stupid fly attracts any
fish is beyond me. But it do! And my man Wolf certainly knows how to present
it.

spawn of satan, fished by a proper apostle...g

jeff

Old April 27th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Wayne Harrison

"Jeff Miller" wrote in message

Joel Axelrad wrote:

A caddis emerger was, most likely, the best fly to use but I got my

first
hookup on, of all things, a Royal Trude. Go figure.

odd enough...on a lark, i tied on a royal trude when we fished that
stream last year near merrill with gc and the jazzman (anyone heard of
or from him?) in the evening. caught fish after fish with it...didn't do
as well with anything else. when in wisconsin, gotta do the trude,
dude! g

on my only colorado trip, about a decade ago, the best fly, by far, on
the three or four creeks we fished was a 16 royal trude.

yfitp
wayno

Old April 27th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Joel Axelrad

Danl wrote....

Not to highjack your thread or nothin, but.....

my buddy, Harry, will be visiting his offspring in Madison this weekend. I
made the gross faux pas of mentioning that I had read that there were
troutly streams in the area and now, well, brother can ya spare a tip? Is
there a stream that you would recommend a stretch of water to hit for a
couple of hours within striking distance of Madison?

Danl

Black Earth Creek. I'll send you an Email with details.

Joel Axelrad
**DFD**

Old April 27th, 2004, 03:31 PM
DaveMohnsen

. com...

Joel Axelrad wrote:

Wayne wrote:

on my only colorado trip, about a decade ago, the best fly, by far, on
the three or four creeks we fished was a 16 royal trude.
yfitp
wayno

Hi Wayno,
Sshhhhh. . .don't tell the other folks (another pattern that works
surprisingly well is a Rio Grande King Trude pattern . . .kinda think of a
Pass Lake with a Golden Pheasant tippet tail. I don't use chenille or
peacock for the body, but just synthetic body material. I also don't quite
do the front portion of the fly as Wolfgang did for a swap. (ROFF FS 2000)
I also do the wing before I do the hackle. (Hmmmm . . .different tail,
different body, different wing position on the body, different hackle
position, same black thread . . . maybe different size of thread . . .
sounds like the same pattern to me . . . grin)

Bill Claspy did another version of the Pass Lake for the ROFF FS2004 swap.
Looked like more of a streamer version. (which may have been where it
started)

Both are on Stan Gula's site.
http://www.gula.org/roffswaps/

Just another thanks to all the swapmeisters. I enjoy the ideas of the
tiers, and to Stan, and all others, for allowing me to see them.

Both the Royal Trude and Rio Grande King Trude work well in my portion of
the West. (and in the East, North, and South where I wandered about in the
past) As I recall, when I was playing a bit in the fly industry, we did a
Royal Lime Trude for some folks also. I've also done them with an orange
center portion and a black center portion, and a yellow center portion.

The stuff I tie has become, usually, much more simple, over the last 30
years or so, but it is fun looking at new variations of things, and the
materials that appear.
BestWishes,
DaveMohnsen
Denver (and heck . . .I just enjoy the look of peacock on any patterns, thus
my simple response to a Royal Trude post)

Old April 27th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Tim J.

"DaveMohnsen" wrote...
snip
Just another thanks to all the swapmeisters. I enjoy the ideas of the
tiers, and to Stan, and all others, for allowing me to see them.

I'll second that. I go to Stan's site on a regular basis for pattern referral
and just to get ideas. Very cool.
--
TL,
Tim