Battenkill Large Arbour Rell advice

Old November 14th, 2006, 01:01 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
BT News

Default Battenkill Large Arbour Rell advice

Hi

I am new to fly fishing and have my heart set on a Orvis Large Arbour Reel
to go with a Grey's platinum XD rod. I am going for a size #7 rod but
ideally think the orvis #4 reel would do fine only trouble is on the various
sites they all seem to sell the #3 or #5?? Where would I get a #4 that is
ideally suited to a #6,7 or 8 line? Are they discontinued or am I barking up
th wrong tree here???

Any help would be grateful.

Cheers
CRJ007

Old November 14th, 2006, 02:07 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Chris Bagnulo

Just curious, I know I still have a lot to learn, but why would you put a 4
weight reel on a 7 weight rod. Or does the #4 not equate to a 4 weight. By
the way I got the mid arbor and love it.

chris

Old November 14th, 2006, 07:29 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
briansfly

BT News wrote:
Hi

I am new to fly fishing and have my heart set on a Orvis Large Arbour Reel
to go with a Grey's platinum XD rod. I am going for a size #7 rod but
ideally think the orvis #4 reel would do fine only trouble is on the various
sites they all seem to sell the #3 or #5?? Where would I get a #4 that is
ideally suited to a #6,7 or 8 line? Are they discontinued or am I barking up
th wrong tree here???

Any help would be grateful.

I have the latest Orvis catalog in front of me, and it looks like you
are right. The IV/#4 reel isn't being sold. Going to the V/#5 reel is a
big step up in size, but I think it would be a better option than going
with the smaller, size III/#3 reel. I'm not sure how long ago the IV
reel has be discontinued, but you might find one at a online shop, or
Ebay. Also, before the new model numbers, i.e., I, II, III & V, Orvis
used to call the reels 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 & 9/10. You might find a 7/8
Battenkill(I have one) out there somewhere.

Good luck

brians

Old November 20th, 2006, 10:45 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
BT News

Cheers Brian

So you'd recommend the #V rather than the #111 is this because it will take
heavier lines i.e. 7,8,9 And what would happen if I say put a 6 weight line
on the reel? Would I still be able to use it?

Soory for all the questions but I am extremely green and trying to
understand it all!!!

Cheers
Clive

Old November 20th, 2006, 10:53 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
BT News

Hi Chris,

No the 4 weight reel is for 7,8,9 weight rods I think??

Cheers
Clive

. ..

Old November 20th, 2006, 11:55 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
briansfly

BT News wrote:
Cheers Brian

So you'd recommend the #V rather than the #111 is this because it will take
heavier lines i.e. 7,8,9 And what would happen if I say put a 6 weight line
on the reel? Would I still be able to use it?

Soory for all the questions but I am extremely green and trying to
understand it all!!!

Cheers
Clive

Clive,

Ideally, the now discontinues IV would work best. Since it's not
available, i'd go with the bigger V, than go with the much smaller III.
You would have virtually no backing capacity going with the smaller III.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, the V reel is too big for a 6
weight line. Better more than less/nothing.

Personally, if it were me, i'd get a reel rated for a 5-6 weight line. A
personal favorite is the Lamson Litespeed 2. I have two of these reels,
and many spare spools. It's an absolute workhorse of a reel, light and
very smooth drag. They are updating this model, and you can buy the old
model at a very good discount.

Hope this helps

brians

Old November 21st, 2006, 12:44 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Clive J

Cheers Brian

I've taken everything on-board.

Thanks for your comments.

Clive

Old December 13th, 2006, 03:36 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Joe

BT News wrote:
Hi

I am new to fly fishing and have my heart set on a Orvis Large Arbour Reel
to go with a Grey's platinum XD rod. I am going for a size #7 rod but
ideally think the orvis #4 reel would do fine only trouble is on the various
sites they all seem to sell the #3 or #5?? Where would I get a #4 that is
ideally suited to a #6,7 or 8 line? Are they discontinued or am I barking up
th wrong tree here???

Any help would be grateful.

Cheers
CRJ007

Orvis is upgrading the Battenkill Large Arbor reel. The old model will
likely be discontinued as soon as the exisitng inventory is depleted.
If you're looking for a large arbor reel for 8 to 10 weight lines,
check out the review on http://www.flyfishinginsider.com. They did
some bench tests on 10 or 12 reels. The battenkill came out near the
bottom I think.