Best Fly Rod/Reel/Line Combination for $500 or less?

Old January 11th, 2010, 06:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

Default Best Fly Rod/Reel/Line Combination for $500 or less?

Notice: In the interests of fighting that dreaded killer, cabin
fever,
we make this post as a public service.

What would be your recommendations for general purpose fly rod/reel/
line combination with a budget under $500?

Old January 11th, 2010, 05:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

DaveS wrote:
Notice: In the interests of fighting that dreaded killer, cabin
fever,
we make this post as a public service.

What would be your recommendations for general purpose fly rod/reel/
line combination with a budget under $500?

Sage Flight 590-4 (9' 5wt, 4 piece) $330
Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock Reel II $119
Cortland 444 Classic Fly Line DT 5 $ 55

OK, so that's $504. But that's about as nice a setup
as you can get around that price point.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old January 13th, 2010, 07:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Jan 11, 9:03*am, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
DaveS wrote:
Notice: In the interests of fighting that dreaded killer, cabin
fever,
we make this post as a public service.

What would be your recommendations for general purpose fly rod/reel/
line combination with a budget under $500?

Sage Flight 590-4 (9' 5wt, 4 piece) $330
Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock Reel II *$119
Cortland 444 Classic Fly Line DT 5 *$ 55

OK, so that's $504. But that's about as nice a setup
as you can get around that price point.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Hello Ken
That would be a great looking outfit and I lean toward Sage anyway,
while the Reel looks skookum enuf for me to get past my slight Orvis
aversion. (Did just buy wifey Orvis waders however).

But the line? I don't get why folks use DTs anymore? What was your
thinking?

Old January 13th, 2010, 07:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"DaveS" wrote in message

But the line? I don't get why folks use DTs anymore? What was your
thinking?

Dave

I have always personally liked DT lines, they just seem to cast better for
me. You also get twice the life out of a DT line.

ymmv,
JT

Old January 13th, 2010, 07:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Jan 11, 8:39*am, sgr wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 22:35:05 -0800 (PST), DaveS
wrote:

Notice: In the interests of fighting that dreaded killer, cabin
fever,
we make this post as a public service.

What would be your recommendations for general purpose fly rod/reel/
line combination with a budget under $500?

Ross Evolution (hurry, they're going fast), Echo Carbon 6wt, Rio
Mainstream DT6 from a state without sales tax.

How does the Echo cast? (Anyone?) Rajief (SP?) is an incredible caster
and I believe he has cred in the design shop at Sage, under Jim Green
maybe, so anybody fish one yet? Price is sure a winner, but I still
have a hard time with guilt when buying imports, especially when Sage
is an Island company down the highway. But i do need something in 4
pieces.

Old January 13th, 2010, 07:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Jan 13, 11:29*am, "JT" wrote:
"DaveS" wrote in message

But the line? I don't get why folks use DTs anymore? What was your
thinking?
Dave

I have always personally liked DT lines, they just seem to cast better for
me. You also get twice the life out of a DT line.

ymmv,
JT

Think it has anything to do with the kind of waters you fish or the
rod you use? How about in the wind or in throwing larger flies into
the wind. Where i fish there is almost always Mountain effect winds at
least half a day, and almost always in the evenings,

Old January 13th, 2010, 07:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

DaveS wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
DaveS wrote:
Notice: In the interests of fighting that dreaded killer, cabin
fever,
we make this post as a public service.
What would be your recommendations for general purpose fly rod/reel/
line combination with a budget under $500?

Sage Flight 590-4 (9' 5wt, 4 piece) $330
Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock Reel II $119
Cortland 444 Classic Fly Line DT 5 $ 55

OK, so that's $504. But that's about as nice a setup
as you can get around that price point.

Hello Ken
That would be a great looking outfit and I lean toward Sage anyway,
while the Reel looks skookum enuf for me to get past my slight Orvis
aversion. (Did just buy wifey Orvis waders however).

But the line? I don't get why folks use DTs anymore? What was your
thinking?

As I replace my fly lines I'm going with DT across the board
in everything 6wt and under. I use the specialty tapers for
bass, steelhead and muskie in 7wt to 9wt but for everything
6wt and under it's DT. There is precious little difference
which I can discern in the lighter weights and when a DT
wears out you just turn it around and you've saved $60.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old January 13th, 2010, 09:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"DaveS" wrote in message
On Jan 13, 11:29 am, "JT" wrote:
"DaveS" wrote in message

But the line? I don't get why folks use DTs anymore? What was your
thinking?
Dave

I have always personally liked DT lines, they just seem to cast better for
me. You also get twice the life out of a DT line.

ymmv,
JT

Think it has anything to do with the kind of waters you fish or the
rod you use? How about in the wind or in throwing larger flies into
the wind. Where i fish there is almost always Mountain effect winds at
least half a day, and almost always in the evenings,

Dave

********

Might have something to do with the water... I for the most part fish
smaller to medium sized streams/rivers like Kelly Creek, North Fork or the
Clearwater, Henry's Fork, South Fork of the Boise, Green, etc... I have DT's
on all my rods from 5 wt.Powell LL, 4 wt Sage LL to 5 wt. Winston LTX.
among others. Pretty much a wide spectrum from medium/slow to fast...? My
cousin over lined his 5 wt. Winston LTX with a 6 wt - wf, the shop owners
idea was the 6 wt. line would load the rod better in close casting
conditions... I really didn't care for it myself. I don't think the
presentation was nearly as delicate as I could throw with the DT's. Might
just be something different that I needed more practice with?

For throwing larger flies like weighted buggers/streamers, I use an 8 wt.
diamond back with a 8 wt. - DT and it throws well.

Wind isn't my friend anytime... In moderate winds less than 10 mph, I do
okay... The worst conditions I ever fished in wind was on Silver Creek, I
was using the 5 wt. Winston LTX, although I was able to catch a few fish
that day, for the most part it probably looked like a major cluster f__k...
Man did it blow hard, what a frustrating day that was.

JT

Old January 14th, 2010, 03:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jan 13, 3:20*pm, sgr wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 11:33:43 -0800 (PST), DaveS
wrote:

How does the Echo cast? (Anyone?) Rajief (SP?) is an incredible caster
and I believe he has cred in the design shop at Sage, under Jim Green
maybe, so anybody fish one yet? Price is sure a winner, but I still
have a hard time with guilt when buying imports, especially when Sage
is an Island company down the highway. But i do need something in 4
pieces.

I discovered that Echo rods cast well at the GGACC, (who have the rods
for their casting lessons). I found it to be smooth, the power to be
reasonable and accessible, and the "medium" fast taper to be very
fishable. Fit and finish is about what one could expect on a $200
rod, but I think better than many others priced in the $300-400 range.
All in all, especially when cost is factored, these are nice
expendable rods.
For a point of reference I think the TFOs and Sage VTs are best used
as tomato stakes, which may give some indication of my taste.

Expendable?!

Bic makes expendable products. I write and light with them. But I
have never spent more than 69 cents for any of them.

g.
who, nevertheless, often feels cheated.....and it's got nothing to do
with flavor.
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DP_diddly

wrote:

DaveS wrote:

[...]

Hey the fish don't care what you paid for your outfit.......
dp_Diddly