ant patterns

Old November 30th, 2003, 08:13 PM
gary

Default ant patterns

I have always used grasshopper patterns , but never really gave ants a
thought in the summer. Does anyone have a good ant pattern, do they work
well? I think I'll tie some up.

I'd guess that an ant pattern would be better than grasshoppers as they are
naturaly are around most the summer.

How well do beetle pattern's work?

Old November 30th, 2003, 08:55 PM
RLPPT

Ants and beetles are my go-to fly both in my native PA and my adopted WI any
time the water temp is high enough to get fish looking up.

While most of what you hear and read about ants and beetles concerns smaller
sizes (16's and smaller), I fish large ants in particular as searching flies.
These are always simple deerhair ants, lacquered to make them a little more
durable. They are mostly sizes 12 and 10. I splat them down next to bank hides
and along other cover. They don't last very long, but it only takes an hour to
make a dozen more.

I'd no sooner go out on the water without my ants than I would without my rod,
my waders or my u-trau...
Old November 30th, 2003, 09:11 PM
Willi

gary wrote:

I have always used grasshopper patterns , but never really gave ants a
thought in the summer. Does anyone have a good ant pattern, do they work
well? I think I'll tie some up.

I'd guess that an ant pattern would be better than grasshoppers as they are
naturaly are around most the summer.

How well do beetle pattern's work?

Beetles are my favorite terrestrial pattern. Ants are good but they're
difficult to see on the water because of their size.

Willi

Old November 30th, 2003, 09:45 PM
Wayne

Beetles are one of the greatest SNP patterns. They are great because they
are durable, they are unsinkable (foam beetle), they are easy to see with a
little over-wing or parachute, and they catch fish like crazy from early May
until late September. I would say they actually outfish Elk Hair Caddis. A
great thing about foam beetles is you can drop them right into the white
water to disguise the cast and the fish on the edge of the foam will snap
them up as they bob to the surface. White CDC makes a super wing over a
black body and orange works nicely if you need the extra visibility. I use
pre-cut foam bodies and would love to find some smaller (smaller than #12)
bodies or a cutter for cutting smaller bodies. I've trimmed down some of
the larger bodies to tie #14 and 16 beetles. The small bugs are absolute
killers in the SNP in June-July.
--
Wayne
To Fish is Human...To Release Divine!

Old November 30th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Charlie Choc

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:45:23 GMT, "Wayne"
wrote:

I use
pre-cut foam bodies and would love to find some smaller (smaller than #12)
bodies or a cutter for cutting smaller bodies.

Pre-cut beetle bodies? Just get a sheet of foam and use scissors or an
x-acto knife.
--
Charlie...
Old November 30th, 2003, 10:45 PM
Larry L

For ME beetle patterns are one of MY dry "go to" patterns for searching the
water, fishing to fish I've seen when nothing specific seems to be hatching,
and for fishing to risers when they won't accept my "hatch matching"
efforts. Larry's Fishing Rule #19 " After some refusals to your best
entomological marvel ties, rest him and show him a beetle before you give
up." g

I'd probably pick a #14 or 16 black foam beetle, tied with a peacock
underbody, rubberlegs, and a dab of bright poly on the back to help me see
it, in that oft contemplated "you can only have one dry fly" situation

YMMV

PS another benefit? you can tie them VERY fast and they last a long time
if you run tying thread through the peacock to strengthen it

PPS do NOT be afraid to try some HUGE beetles for searching ... I bet
you'll be pleasantly surprised

Old November 30th, 2003, 11:04 PM
Wayne

I usually end up doing that Charlie but I would like to find a punch that
would cookie-cutter the things out so I could save some time during the
get-ready-for-spring fly tieing rampage that seems to set in each year. In
fact, using the Xacto knife method I got tired one evening making beetles
and ended up tying up some rectangular strips of tan foam to some #6 hooks
and ended up with a killer smallmouth fly. Leaving the squared-off front
end sticking out beyond the eye and turned up it acts like a gurggler
pattern and the smallies can't resist it. Don't let Fank C. know, there
won't be a darn smallmouth left in Virginia waters once they go down enough
to wade (may take a couple of years).

Old November 30th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Wayne

I tie my black foam beetle underbody with peacock herl. Then I don't bother
with legs. Between the color, flash, and little bits sticking out wiggling,
it seems to be dynomite! The smaller sizes work best on Brookies but
Rainbow especially like a #10 or 12. I have a small hoard of Japanese
beetle pattern I found at a shop in Linville NC. I have never found the
material to make the darn things. They are somewhat fragile and only take a
dozen or so fish before they are done. I've never found a beetle pattern
for Rainbows and Browns to beat it.

Old November 30th, 2003, 11:23 PM
rakane at verizon dot net

Wayne, check out this link to a great cutter.

http://www.riverroadcreations.com/beetlefoam.htm

The beetle comes in sizes 12-18. They are the best made cutters I have
found. I saw them in Missoula last year, and then ordered some from the
company directly. Each cutter comes with a piece of plastic to save the
desktop and preserve the cutting blade.

Nice folks to deal with, just wish some local shops would stock these.

RK

"Wayne" wrote in message
I usually end up doing that Charlie but I would like to find a punch that
would cookie-cutter the things out so I could save some time during the
get-ready-for-spring fly tieing rampage that seems to set in each year.

In
fact, using the Xacto knife method I got tired one evening making beetles
and ended up tying up some rectangular strips of tan foam to some #6 hooks
and ended up with a killer smallmouth fly. Leaving the squared-off front
end sticking out beyond the eye and turned up it acts like a gurggler
pattern and the smallies can't resist it. Don't let Fank C. know, there
won't be a darn smallmouth left in Virginia waters once they go down

enough
to wade (may take a couple of years).
--
Wayne
To Fish is Human...To Release Divine!

"Charlie Choc" wrote in

message

Old November 30th, 2003, 11:30 PM
Wayne

Thanks, exactly what I'm looking for! Looks like a stocking stuffer to me!
--
Wayne
To Fish is Human...To Release Divine!

"rakane at verizon dot net" wrote in