Beginner: Tying Salmon Flys

Old March 26th, 2004, 09:16 PM
JonnyMac

Default Beginner: Tying Salmon Flys

Hi
I have been tying Dry fly's for a few months and would like to start tying
Salmon fly's and was wondering if anyone could tell me what materials I
should get (Which capes, hooks etc) to make a good range of fly's

Thanks

Old March 26th, 2004, 10:54 PM
roddytoo

"JonnyMac" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi
I have been tying Dry fly's for a few months and would like to start tying
Salmon fly's and was wondering if anyone could tell me what materials I
should get (Which capes, hooks etc) to make a good range of fly's

Thanks

Wrong way round. Decide which flies you wish to tie, compile a list of
materials, go from there. The range of flies and materials is so large it
would be like asking the blind men to describe an elephant. You would need a
38 tonne artic to carry that lot!

Old March 27th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Derek.Moody

In article m, JonnyMac
wrote:
Hi
I have been tying Dry fly's for a few months and would like to start tying
Salmon fly's and was wondering if anyone could tell me what materials I
should get (Which capes, hooks etc) to make a good range of fly's

That rather depends on which you intend to tie. Are these to be showcase
classic patterns or the contents of a working flybox?

Take a look at your flybox, which of the simpler flies do you use often?
Which use materials do you already have?

You can add surprisingly few items, use hackles from the other end of your
softer capes, add a few scraps from around the house and make quite a range
of useful flies. I'd suggest your first purchase might include some
stronger thread, a couple of flosses, some heavier silver ribbing and a
selection of dyed deer hair.

If you use them a tube attachment for the vice would be a useful gadget.

I wouldn't bother with built wings just yet.

Cheerio,

Old March 27th, 2004, 01:01 AM
Kim Sawyer

The message m
from "JonnyMac" contains these words:

Hi
I have been tying Dry fly's for a few months and would like to start tying
Salmon fly's and was wondering if anyone could tell me what materials I
should get (Which capes, hooks etc) to make a good range of fly's

That's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. It's years since
I tied salmon flies, but I can tell you that tying patterns like Mar
Lodge, Dunkeld, Torrish and Thunder and Lightning on decent sized hooks
(1/0 and larger) with traditional materials can be both expensive and
also try the patience of a saint.

First, if you haven't already done so, you should invest in a good book
depicting fifty or so traditional salmon patterns, listing the materials
required and the method for tying each of them. There are plenty of good
beginners books available out there at reasonable cost. Get a good one
and it will prove to be a valuable investment.

Then choose three not too adventurous patterns that all share as many of
the listed materials required as possible, and take it from there.
Choose simple compound wings first, and as your skill and ability
develops you can try your hand at more difficult patterns.

And don't neglect the hair wing patterns. Flies in smaller sizes, say
doubles and singles in 6's, 8's and 10's are relatively easy to tie and
are probably used far more often than the larger sizes. Try tying some
simple patterns like Willy Gunn, Garry Dog, Stoat's Tail and Tadpole.
When you're feeling more adventurous you can try your hand at some of
the more complicated shrimp variations.

Don't skimp on hook quality. Buy the best true salmon hooks you can
afford. But above all, have fun.
--
Kim Sawyer
Sutherland
Old March 27th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Sandy

Derek.Moody wrote:
In article m,
JonnyMac wrote:

You can add surprisingly few items, use hackles from the other end of
your softer capes, add a few scraps from around the house and make
quite a range of useful flies. I'd suggest your first purchase might
include some stronger thread, a couple of flosses, some heavier
silver ribbing and a selection of dyed deer hair.

First thing to get is a book on salmon flies and see what flies you want to
tye, then follow the above good advice. Have a look online for sites, the
one bellow, although american, is quite good.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/atlantic/

If you use them a tube attachment for the vice would be a useful
gadget.

i use a large darning needle for tying tube flies, just remember if you do
to stick a cork over the sharp end if it protrudes from the tube, saves
accidents.

I wouldn't bother with built wings just yet.

Those were the ones I started on and I agree, they are a pain in the a**e
but very satisfying to do when they come out right.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

Old March 27th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Bob

Good advice so far especially on hook quality.

A few thoughts though.
Do any of your relations have old fur coats (real or rabbit will do) this is
a great source of fur, next what about old mohair jumpers and the like
again a great cheap souce. Next get down to a carpet shop and ask for one
or two of their old samples - shag pile is good and in quite a few colours.
As for patterns depends what you want on the day copy what works for you
with a few variations - try longer hairs. For tubes get hold of a few bits
of the stuff carp fishermen use it comes in green, black, brown and clear
and in a number of diameters.

Bob

Old March 27th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Kim Sawyer

A quick search for suitable books came up with these:

Beginners Guide to Fly Tying - Chris Mann and Terry Griffiths (£9.99)
Pocket Guide to Trout and Salmon Flies - John Buckland (£8.99)
Shrimp and Spey Flies for Salmon - Chris Mann and Robert Gillespie (£20.00)
Fly Tying Bible - Peter Gathercole (£16.99)
Handbook of Fly Tying - Peter Gathercole ( £14.95)

All are available from John Norris of Penrith. (www.johnNorris.co.uk)

--
Kim Sawyer
Sutherland
Old March 27th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Kim Sawyer

The message
from "Bob" contains these words:

Good advice so far especially on hook quality.

You'd be surprised how many anglers, given the choice, buy the less
expensive hook.

Do any of your relations have old fur coats (real or rabbit will do) this is
a great source of fur, next what about old mohair jumpers and the like
again a great cheap souce. snipped

Steady on, he might be young and *very* impressionable. (Images already
forming here of Jonnymac's mum slipping on her £2000 mink coat to find a
2" square hole in one of the sleeves.)

--
Kim Sawyer
Sutherland