Best Crank Bait Rod

Old July 11th, 2004, 11:47 PM
FJ Smith

Default Best Crank Bait Rod

I read this first on your forums. Somehow that doesn't seem to make
sense to me what with almost everybody saying heavy fast for bassing.
I would be really curious to know what others think about your
anecdotal (at best) observations and the conclusions you drew.

ROFB RULES
FJ Smith

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...
Yesterday I missed a fish on a stick worm, and just had the feeling that a
crank bait bottom bounced through the area would pick up the fish. My son
had a medium light action rod with 8 pound CarbonPro and a fairly loose drag
rigged up with a 4-6 foot runner that I thought would be perfect. He
managed to wrap the line around three other rods in the boat on the way up
to the front to make the cast. By the time I got it all untangled the boat
was starting to drift out of position. Rather than bump the trolling motor
and risk spooking the fish I just made the cast and brought the crank bait
through the area. It worked. While it was not a big fish, it was our big
fish for the day. A 2.35 lb LM.

I had Robert get the net, because I have had way to many fish come
unbuttoned on crank baits lately. He was a little slow on the net, but I
was able to bring the fish up and over the net for him to bring it in. When
I got the fish in I noticed it was barely hooked by the rear hook in the
corner of the mouth, by loose flesh. If I had tried to swing it in the boat
I would surely have lost it.

I am amazed the fish didn't come off while fighting it, but the rod did a
really good job. While the crank bait tends to put a lot of load on the
rod, I think the rod itself saved the fish. It is not marked, but it fishes
like a medium/light power medium or medium/slow action rod. That fish made
several runs up near the boat while Robert was getting the net in position.

The casting distance was also very amazing with the eight pound line it was
spooled with. I am hesitant to fish such light line and tackle since I use
crank baits primarily in and over heavy grass beds with submerged trees.
But the fact is the rod and line did an admirable job of managing the fish
and putting it in the boat. I am seriously considering risking the tackle
in order to put more of the hooked up fish in the boat. I definitely could
feel the grass and rocks better since the rod would load up so much more
each time it came into contact. I am amazed. For feeling a strike on
plastics a fast action medium or medium heavy rod seems to detect hits
better, So I was really surprised with how well I could judge the run of the
crank bait on this much lighter tackle. That is quite an interesting
learning experience. I know I need to do some experimenting with my lighter
tackle now.

Old July 12th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Fritz Nordengren

Each angler may have their own preferences, but I found this ad copy on
a web site about G Loomis crank bait rods.

"A good crankbait rod needs to be relatively soft with a moderate
mid-flex action that will not tear the lure away from the fish before it
has a chance to get the bait securely. It also needs to be forgiving
enought to not tear the hooks out when the fish lunges, especially near
the boat. For many anglers the perfect crankbait rod used to be made of
fiberglass. That was before G. Loomis blended a variety of graphites to
make a rod with just the right action. With the sensitivity of graphite
you can have the correct action to cast your crankbait, you can feel
brush, rocks and the lightest strike, and you can successfully land your
fish. Another big advantage is that the G. Loomis Crankbait rod is much
lighter than the old fiberglass rods, so when you're on a good crank
bite you can throw it for the whole tournament without wearing yourself
out. These rods shine for ripping jerkbaits or working topwaters like
Sammys or Zara Spooks, as well as tearing lipless crankbaits through the
grass. We offer the entire lineup of Crankbait Rods with actions that
work with any bait from tiny "finesse" cranks to deep, bottom dredgers
like DD22's and heavy swimbaits. Try a Loomis Crankbait Rod and feel the
difference. "

I've found my own preference for crankbait rods is much lighter action
than 2 years ago....but that could be my wrists and not my head talking.