Need a Trolling Motor - Opinions?

Old July 2nd, 2004, 04:10 PM
Scott Davis

Default Need a Trolling Motor - Opinions?

I have a 36v Motor Guide Tour Edition motor that died. (still works, just
one speed). I talked with Foster's, and they (and Motor Guide) told me I
can't get parts anymore. Everything has switched to the new digital system.
It looks like about $350 to have it rebuilt. For that I get basically a new
trolling motor with a 1 year warranty.

This is a 82# thrust motor I believe. I seem to always have plenty power,
but more is better right?...:-) I have been thinking of upgrading to a 100#
motor for a while now.

My question is, which motor would you get.

Motor Guide 109# Tour or the Minn Kota Maxxum 101#?

Pros/Cons - horror stories, etc...

Thanks,

Scott....
Chetek, WI

Old July 2nd, 2004, 08:40 PM
Andrew Kidd

"Scott Davis" wrote in message
s.com...
My question is, which motor would you get.

Motor Guide 109# Tour or the Minn Kota Maxxum 101#?

Pros/Cons - horror stories, etc...

Thanks,

Scott....

Scott,
I think I can sum up the answer you're going to get from this group in a
couple paragraphs.
Most here think Motorguides suck, and have many, many stories why they
suck. I used to have a Motorguide from 1993 to early 2003, without a hitch.
Ran like a top, so I don't necessarily agree, but most of the experiences
these guy share are with much more recent products.
On my new boat, I have a 65lb thrust Minn Kota Maxxum. I would compare
it's overall power to my old 45lb Motorguide (seriously). It works well, is
about the same noise level as my old motor, if not slighty louder. The only
problem I have is getting used to the controls. The power button is on the
opposite side as the MG, and is taking me an exceptionally long time to get
used to. The bigger complaint to me is the power selector, which does not
rotate 360 degrees like the MG, and is not as easily moved. I really don't
like this, cause on the MG, I pretty much could reach up with my foot, give
it a little pull down and have it end up on the setting that I wanted,
without trying to "back it up". Overall though, it's a good motor.
There does seem to be a pretty major bug in the power selector. If you
are between 1 and 2 just right, it thinks it's on 5. Pretty intense to
punch it with the motor setting sideways, think it's on 1 or 2. Almost got
ejected from the boat.

Have fun!

--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

Old July 3rd, 2004, 04:16 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Scott Davis" wrote in message
s.com...
I have a 36v Motor Guide Tour Edition motor that died. (still works, just
one speed). I talked with Foster's, and they (and Motor Guide) told me I
can't get parts anymore. Everything has switched to the new digital

system.
It looks like about $350 to have it rebuilt. For that I get basically a

new
trolling motor with a 1 year warranty.

This is a 82# thrust motor I believe. I seem to always have plenty power,
but more is better right?...:-) I have been thinking of upgrading to a

100#
motor for a while now.

My question is, which motor would you get.

Motor Guide 109# Tour or the Minn Kota Maxxum 101#?

Pros/Cons - horror stories, etc...

Thanks,

I too have a POS 36v Motor Guide Tour Edition, mine is stuck on high. It
was two weeks old when it took a dump. I called the dealer, he said it's
MG's problem. MG said that it came on the boat, it's the dealer's problem.
They both pointed fingers at each other until the warranty ran out and now
neither claim that they're repsonsible for repairing the motor!

I used to have PinPoint trolling motors, the couple times that I did have
problems, I called the factory, they sent me a new motor, I boxed up the old
one and sent it back, total elapsed time? 48 hours. PinPoint was bought by
MG, now they have (I believe) 3 repair centers in the whole country. The
speediest one of the lot had my motor for over 6 weeks, and when I got it
back, it still wasn't fixed 100%, now that motor too is dead, and they won't
honor the warranty, either the original or the repair, because the motor is
no longer made.

I now have a MinnKota on my boat and while I don't necessarily like it as
much as I did my PinPoint when it was working properly, it's given me far
better service than any of the previous five MG's that I've owned.

Maybe the new Motor Guide Digital units are better, but that remains to be
seen. Until someone can prove to me otherwise, buy MinnKota.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old July 6th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Scott Davis

Thanks Steve.

I'm going to order the Maxxum 101 today.

Scott....
Chetek, WI

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...