There's hope yet

Old May 31st, 2004, 04:35 AM
Tim J.

Default There's hope yet

It was a perfect day in New England to do whatever outdoors activity you wanted.
After a day of hard labor around the house, it was time to get out and enjoy. It
took a lot of discipline, but I left all my fishing stuff in the car while #2
son, Scott (21 years old), and I canoed around a East Brimfield Reservoir. We
traveled about three or four miles in all, staying near the shore as much as
possible. We saw beaver, turtles, and lots of fish - enough so Scott said he'd
like to get his fishing license this week and do it again soon. Since he swore
off fishing about four years ago, this was good to hear.

I'm looking forward to the next trip, but, with rod or without, it's good to be
out with him, talking, laughing, and actually having the time to enjoy each
other.
--
TL,
Tim

Old May 31st, 2004, 04:44 AM
Padishar Creel

Tim, I would give anything to take my youngest daughter on such a venture.
She was always my fishin's buddy, I sure miss her, we would have the
greatest time (her laugh is so contagious and so fun) and we seldom caught
many fish. We tried to rob a fish trap one time, that was a kick!

Thanks for sharing your experience, it made my day!

Chris Fanning, sounds like you got an early Father's day present to me!
--------------------------------

"Tim J." wrote in message
[...]

it's amazing what fishing can do for somebody. my daughter had a real rough
night last night- we went to the emergency room, they gave her something to
help her sleep, and let her talk with someone who was able to validate her
emotions. after finally getting a good night's sleep that lasted until 3:00
this afternoon, she decided she was ready to get out and put her feet in
some water. i brought along the spin rod, as i have yet to learn to
properly cast the fly rod, and when she got that rod in her hands, and felt
the fish nibbling and pulling at the hook, she got very excited and even
let out some giggles, and squeals.
that was so good for her heart and mine. she wants to go back out, and do
it again tomorrow. she says she won't stop until she catches one.
there surely is something special in the sharing of the fishing experience.

snakefiddler

Old May 31st, 2004, 02:35 PM
Tim J.

"snakefiddler" wrote...
there surely is something special in the sharing of the fishing experience.

It is certainly medicinal, with or without camaraderie.
--
TL,
Tim

Old May 31st, 2004, 03:51 PM
Wayne Harrison

"snakefiddler" wrote

i brought along the spin rod, as i have yet to learn to
properly cast the fly rod, and when she got that rod in her hands, and

felt
the fish nibbling and pulling at the hook, she got very excited and even
let out some giggles, and squeals.
that was so good for her heart and mine. she wants to go back out, and do
it again tomorrow. she says she won't stop until she catches one.
there surely is something special in the sharing of the fishing

experience.

*now* you are "official", with or without the fly rod.

yfitp
wayno

Old May 31st, 2004, 04:57 PM
daytripper

On Mon, 31 May 2004 03:35:23 GMT, "Tim J."
wrote:

It was a perfect day in New England to do whatever outdoors activity you wanted.
After a day of hard labor around the house, it was time to get out and enjoy. It
took a lot of discipline, but I left all my fishing stuff in the car while #2
son, Scott (21 years old), and I canoed around a East Brimfield Reservoir. We
traveled about three or four miles in all, staying near the shore as much as
possible. We saw beaver, turtles, and lots of fish - enough so Scott said he'd
like to get his fishing license this week and do it again soon. Since he swore
off fishing about four years ago, this was good to hear.

I'm looking forward to the next trip, but, with rod or without, it's good to be
out with him, talking, laughing, and actually having the time to enjoy each
other.

Yikes. I *bet* you stayed close to the shore line - it was blowing like a
bastid out your way most of the day! The spousal unit and I took a nice drive
out the Mohawk Trail to North Adams, then south to route 9 and back east with
a stop at Quabbin to spot raptors. Beautiful day to be out, not so great to be
on fla****er - we didn't see any boats moving on the reservoir.

What we did see at Quabbin (aside from the daily display of raging paranoia -
apparently "The Terrorists" have already won there) was an amazing volume of
water roaring down the spillway flume above the Y-pool. I haven't seen that
much excess capacity hitting the river in at least a few years. Good to know
that the res is at 100% to start the summer...

/daytripper
Old May 31st, 2004, 07:27 PM
Tim J.

"daytripper" wrote...
"Tim J." wrote:

[...]

bastid out your way most of the day! snip

Hmmm . . . must have been an alternate universe. It wasn't bad at all where we
were; just slight breezes now and again. We paddled back and forth a few times
across the main body of water with little trouble.
--
TL,
Tim

Old May 31st, 2004, 07:48 PM
George Adams

From: daytripper

(aside from the daily display of raging paranoia -
apparently "The Terrorists" have already won there)

Hell, it ain't nothin' now. You shoulda been there when the National Guard was
on duty. Now *that* was scary.

an amazing volume of
water roaring down the spillway flume above the Y-pool.

Shoulda brought your rod....fishing was good.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller