Headwaters of the Big Wood ...

Old December 21st, 2007, 03:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
rw

Default Headwaters of the Big Wood ...

Willi wrote:
rw wrote:

Also, I was thinking of going into Ketchum (but didn't -- another 20
miles, or 40 round-trip).

You were thinking about going an EXTRA 40 miles!!!

Willi

I was, if I could think of a good reason, but I couldn't. The best I
could come up with was getting a good restaurant meal, and that wasn't
enough.

Stanley is sixty miles from anywhere, and 120 miles from a city of any
size (Boise or Twin Falls). That's one thing that made my cabin
renovation so difficult.

Old December 21st, 2007, 04:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Willi

rw wrote:
Willi wrote:

rw wrote:

Also, I was thinking of going into Ketchum (but didn't -- another 20
miles, or 40 round-trip).

You were thinking about going an EXTRA 40 miles!!!

Willi

I was, if I could think of a good reason, but I couldn't. The best I
could come up with was getting a good restaurant meal, and that wasn't
enough.

Stanley is sixty miles from anywhere, and 120 miles from a city of any
size (Boise or Twin Falls). That's one thing that made my cabin
renovation so difficult.

You're talking about cross country skiing right?

Willi
Old December 21st, 2007, 05:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
rw

Willi wrote:

You're talking about cross country skiing right?

Willi

Right. I'd have to go the extra 20 miles to Sun Valley for downhill
skiing, and then pay $79 for a lift ticket. It's am excellent mountain.
I do it a few times a year, when I have good company, but I prefer XC
skate skiing on well groomed trails, where I can take Bee, my Border
Collie. She adores it. There are always lots of other skiers with dogs.
It becomes an interesting social scene.

Normally, we have well groomed trails close to Stanley, about six miles
out, but this is (so far) a low-snow year here, so I have to go over the
hill. It's a long drive and sometimes treacherous, dodging deer and elk
and red foxes on icy roads.

I don't like driving 80 miles round-trip to skate ski, but that's what
I'm stuck with for the time being. I'll ski for an hour and a half. I'm
planning to go tomorrow. I'll take my cell-phone/camera, and I might
even drive to Ketchum for a restaurant meal, and then return home to see
my honey who's returning from her job in Challis. Then it's off to
California to see my kids for Christmas and New Year, and them back to
Stanley for more skiing and hockey. It's maybe a strange life for some,
but I'm enjoying it in my retirement. Not bad at all.

I used to do the traditional diagonal-stride XC skiing, but I don't like
it nearly as much as skating. Skating is a tremendous aerobic workout,
and you can go fast.

Old December 21st, 2007, 01:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

Willi wrote:

jeff wrote:

rw wrote:

jeff wrote:

rw wrote:

... just south of Galena Pass, taken with my cell-phone camera
while XC skiing.

neat...if that's a cell phone, hope you'll take the good camera
along next x-country.

jeff

I'm more tempted to take along a pack rod. The river is too small to
fish at that spot, but downstream near Ketchum and Hailey the XC
trails cover some pretty good looking holes.

yeah...but i can't enjoy the fishing, while your photos provide a
semblence of a shared experience. so...take the pack rod and the
camera. g

jeff

What I can't figure out is why he would want a cell phone when he was
going skiing and/or fishing out in the country.

Willi

given the thread over in roff, and in that context, that's funny and a
bit wicked (assuming your tongue is in cheek, with grin).

like me, steve's getting old.g unlike me, he's in superb physical
condition. rachel insists i carry the phone with me for safety purposes.
last one i took on a fishing trip off lookout a few weeks ago...it was
very rough and i got very wet. so did the phone, and it was killed
graveyard dead. she just bought another one for me...this one takes
pictures too. we'll see how long it lives.

jeff

jeff
Old December 21st, 2007, 02:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Willi

jeff wrote:
Willi wrote:

What I can't figure out is why he would want a cell phone when he was
going skiing and/or fishing out in the country.

Willi

given the thread over in roff, and in that context, that's funny and a
bit wicked (assuming your tongue is in cheek, with grin).

I was pulling Steve's chain based on that.

like me, steve's getting old.g unlike me, he's in superb physical
condition. rachel insists i carry the phone with me for safety purposes.
last one i took on a fishing trip off lookout a few weeks ago...it was
very rough and i got very wet. so did the phone, and it was killed
graveyard dead. she just bought another one for me...this one takes
pictures too. we'll see how long it lives.

Yeah, he is in good shape but what I thought he was saying is that he
was thinking of skiing another 40 miles! And he ain't in that good of shape.

Susan tells me the same when I go off by myself. I dislike the impact of
cell phones and I don't carry one but I also don't think there is any
reception where I go. I don't have to worry about getting calls on the
one I own. No one, not even me, knows the number.

PS Haven't been fishing because of the ice but I attached the obligatory
pic of a "fisherman" I came across last week.

Willi

Old December 21st, 2007, 03:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
rw

Willi wrote:

Yeah, he is in good shape but what I thought he was saying is that he
was thinking of skiing another 40 miles! And he ain't in that good of
shape.

No way!

However, I do plan on skiing the 31 km Harriman Trail from Galena to the
SNRA headquarters near Ketchum this winter. It follows the Big Wood
downstream. The other direction is harder.

Susan tells me the same when I go off by myself. I dislike the impact of
cell phones and I don't carry one but I also don't think there is any
reception where I go. I don't have to worry about getting calls on the
one I own. No one, not even me, knows the number.

This is actually my first cell phone. (I used to have a satellite
phone.) I don't use it very much as a phone, but when I do need it I
find it very handy, especially when traveling. I more often use the iPod
and YouTube features in the gym, and the map and Safari (browser)
features are very useful for finding things in unfamiliar cities.

PS Haven't been fishing because of the ice but I attached the obligatory
pic of a "fisherman" I came across last week.

Cool.

Old December 21st, 2007, 10:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

Willi wrote:

jeff wrote:

Willi wrote:

[...]

excellent photo...but, did you take it with your phone? g btw, any
new ideas on the wilderness thing? i'm at a dead end. also...let me
know if you have an interest in the oct-nov carolina sal****er. i'm
trying to get danl and cindy to visit over this way too.

jeff
Old December 22nd, 2007, 05:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Tom G

"rw" wrote in message
m...
jeff wrote:
rw wrote:

... just south of Galena Pass, taken with my cell-phone camera while
XC skiing.

neat...if that's a cell phone, hope you'll take the good camera along
next x-country.

jeff

I'm more tempted to take along a pack rod. The river is too small to
fish at that spot, but downstream near Ketchum and Hailey the XC trails
cover some pretty good looking holes.

So who needs a camera...just a little fiddlin with levels...

Tom G

Old December 22nd, 2007, 05:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Tom G

sorry for size of file..didn't realize that simply adjusting original file
would triple it's size
"Tom G" wrote in message

"rw" wrote in message
m...

Old December 26th, 2007, 06:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Joshuall

Great pic RW !~

--
God Bless America