Fifty Places to Fly Fish Before You Die (by Chris Santella)

Old December 26th, 2007, 09:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

Default Fifty Places to Fly Fish Before You Die (by Chris Santella)

It doesn´t really make a lot of difference what anybody posts here,
the same people weigh in with the same nastiness, begrudging, and
generally insulting rubbish. It is no wonder that many of you are
obviously lonely and depressed, you wallow in it, a most unfortunate
and demeaning spectacle.

That is why this place has become what it is, it was always largely a
waste of time, but now it is invariably also an unpleasant waste of
time.

A merry Christmas? No, I wish you all the same as you wish others,
and it is to be hoped that you receive your just deserts.

MC

Old December 26th, 2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"Mike" wrote in message
It doesn´t really make a lot of difference what anybody posts here,
the same people weigh in with the same nastiness, begrudging, and
generally insulting rubbish. It is no wonder that many of you are
obviously lonely and depressed, you wallow in it, a most unfortunate
and demeaning spectacle.

That is why this place has become what it is, it was always largely a
waste of time, but now it is invariably also an unpleasant waste of
time.

A merry Christmas? No, I wish you all the same as you wish others,
and it is to be hoped that you receive your just deserts.

Ladies and gentlemen, squeaking in just under the wire, may I present the
undisputed winner of this year's Ironic Post of the Year award!

Wolfgang

Old December 26th, 2007, 10:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Mike wrote:
It doesn´t really make a lot of difference what anybody posts here,
the same people weigh in with the same nastiness, begrudging, and
generally insulting rubbish. It is no wonder that many of you are
obviously lonely and depressed, you wallow in it, a most unfortunate
and demeaning spectacle.

That is why this place has become what it is, it was always largely a
waste of time, but now it is invariably also an unpleasant waste of
time.

A merry Christmas? No, I wish you all the same as you wish others,
and it is to be hoped that you receive your just deserts.

The nasty, insulting rubbish is so onerous you just had to add a
bit of your own. ;-)

Happy Holidays Your Loonyness, and I hope whoever it is who forces
you to spend your valuable time reading, and commenting on, this
unpleasant waste of time called roff will grant you a reprieve in
2008.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old December 26th, 2007, 10:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

This review surely smacks of obscene consumerism:

"A must for the Rich Fishing Addict, August 28, 2005
By G. Collector - See all my reviews

If you have unlimited funds and time this book provides the backbone
for a lifetime of fishing trips to exotic locales. "

Gee, and I don't have it. How 'bout you, Richard?

d;o)

The book is extremely consumerist and elitist. It's pretty much porn for
fly fishermen. I'm sure you're familiar with the genre. Orvis has
mastered it.

When people know that you like fly fishing they give you the strangest,
most useless, kitschy stuff. T-shirts with "bite me" and such. :-)
Fly-fishing porn is at least better than that.

What surprised me was that I've fished in 18% (9 in 50) of the places
named in the book -- mostly the ones the ones in my more-or-less
familiar parts of this country. You don't have to be rich to fish Idaho,
Montana, Wyoming, California, not to mention Colorado, New Mexico,
Oregon, Washington, Utah, and even Nevada. Those of us in the Pacific
Coast and Rocky Mountain West are fortunate.

An important part of fly fishing, for me, has imagining and anticipating
a new place or a new species. (More often than not, the reality doesn't
live up to the dream.) The person who gave me the book knows that, so it
was a thoughtful gift.

Old December 26th, 2007, 10:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Dec 26, 10:07 pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
Mike wrote:
[...]

I merely wished you what you wished others. I am not responsible for
you being nasty.

MC
Old December 26th, 2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Mike wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Mike wrote:
snip
A merry Christmas? No, I wish you all the same as you wish others,
and it is to be hoped that you receive your just deserts.

Happy Holidays Your Loonyness, and I hope whoever it is who forces
you to spend your valuable time reading, and commenting on, this
unpleasant waste of time called roff will grant you a reprieve in
2008.

I merely wished you what you wished others. I am not responsible for
you being nasty.

My holiday wish for roff was "May your days be merry and bright."
I hope I receive desserts and not deserts. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old December 26th, 2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

rw wrote:

An important part of fly fishing, for me, has [been] imagining and anticipating
a new place or a new species. (More often than not, the reality doesn't
live up to the dream.) The person who gave me the book knows that, so it
was a thoughtful gift.

....and this was my initial take on the matter of your post as well.
plus, i am interested in places others have fished or suggest i fish,
though some hold no allure for me.

the book isn't one many of us would buy for ourselves, though i looked
at its contents at the local b&n. i'll never see 90% or more of those
places, but it's fun to look at them in a book.

there was nothing in your post that required or even invited a negative
comment, imo. i read it and appreciated it. thanks.

jeff
Old December 26th, 2007, 10:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

Ken Fortenberry typed:
Mike wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Mike wrote:
snip
A merry Christmas? No, I wish you all the same as you wish others,
and it is to be hoped that you receive your just deserts.
Happy Holidays Your Loonyness, and I hope whoever it is who forces
you to spend your valuable time reading, and commenting on, this
unpleasant waste of time called roff will grant you a reprieve in
2008.

I merely wished you what you wished others. I am not responsible for
you being nasty.

My holiday wish for roff was "May your days be merry and bright."
I hope I receive desserts and not deserts. ;-)

Nopalito Pie (Cactus Pie) -- http://www.recipezaar.com/85893

An unusual dessert from Margarita C. Hinojosa of Benavides, Texas, famous in
the Rio Grande Valley for her Nopalito Pie as published in the Texas
Highways magazine. Her creation is reminiscent of the taste of apple pie,
especially if served warm and topped with a gorgeous vanilla ice cream
(whipped cream works well, too).

8 fresh cactus pieces, paddles with thorns and eyes removed and tough edges
sliced off,diced
1 pastry for double-crust pie, 9 inch (either your favorite recipe OR frozen
premade pie crusts)
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 slice Fruit of prickly pear cactus (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F.
Parboil cactus for 3 minutes in enough boiling, lightly salted water to
cover in a covered saucepan.
Drain and rinse under running water.
Roll half of pastry to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
Place in a 9-inch pie plate; trim off excess pastry along edges and set to
the side.
Combine cactus dice (nopalitos) and next three ingredients; mix well by
hand.
Spoon filling evenly into pastry shell, and dot with butter.
Roll remaining pastry to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into 1/2-inch strips and
arrange into lattice; fold edges under and flute into a pretty edge.
Bake for 50-60 minutes.
Garnish with slice of prickly pear fruit, if desired.

--
TL,
Tim

Old December 26th, 2007, 10:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Dec 26, 10:31 pm, jeff wrote:

there was nothing in your post that required or even invited a negative
comment, imo. i read it and appreciated it. thanks.

jeff

I´ll second that.

Although I would have to be rich to fish in Idaho!

MC

Old December 26th, 2007, 10:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Dec 26, 10:27 pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
Mike wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Mike wrote:
snip
A merry Christmas? No, I wish you all the same as you wish others,
and it is to be hoped that you receive your just deserts.
Happy Holidays Your Loonyness, and I hope whoever it is who forces
you to spend your valuable time reading, and commenting on, this
unpleasant waste of time called roff will grant you a reprieve in
2008.

I merely wished you what you wished others. I am not responsible for
you being nasty.

My holiday wish for roff was "May your days be merry and bright."
I hope I receive desserts and not deserts. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Deserts = Noun. An outcome (good or bad) that is well deserved.

MC