Fifty Places to Fly Fish Before You Die (by Chris Santella)

Old December 26th, 2007, 10:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

Default Fifty Places to Fly Fish Before You Die (by Chris Santella)

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 16:31:29 -0500, jeff
wrote:

there was nothing in your post that required or even invited a negative
comment, imo. i read it and appreciated it. thanks.

That's because you don't appreciate irony, counselor.

Old December 26th, 2007, 11:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Mike wrote:
On Dec 26, 10:31 pm, jeff wrote:

there was nothing in your post that required or even invited a negative
comment, imo. i read it and appreciated it. thanks.

jeff

I´ll second that.

Although I would have to be rich to fish in Idaho!

MC

The book has a American-centric theme. North America is probably
over-represented, and the travel information is geared to the American
angler. But it touches on all the fantasy destinations that come up in
ROFF: Argentina, Chile, New Zealand, etc. The most intriguing one, which
I'll read next, is Zambia: Tiger Fish on the Zambezi River. :-)

You wouldn't have to be rich to fish in Idaho if you lived in Idaho,
Mike. Gas would be your biggest cost, so share the ride (but not with
LaCourse). :-)

Old December 26th, 2007, 11:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Dec 26, 11:22 pm, rw wrote:
Mike wrote:
On Dec 26, 10:31 pm, jeff wrote:

there was nothing in your post that required or even invited a negative
comment, imo. i read it and appreciated it. thanks.

jeff

I´ll second that.

Although I would have to be rich to fish in Idaho!

MC

The book has a American-centric theme. North America is probably
over-represented, and the travel information is geared to the American
angler. But it touches on all the fantasy destinations that come up in
ROFF: Argentina, Chile, New Zealand, etc. The most intriguing one, which
I'll read next, is Zambia: Tiger Fish on the Zambezi River. :-)

You wouldn't have to be rich to fish in Idaho if you lived in Idaho,
Mike. Gas would be your biggest cost, so share the ride (but not with
LaCourse). :-)

I like reading or hearing about fishing anywhere. Most of the places I
hear about I will never fish and to be honest I don´t really want to.
I never did. I always tried to make the most of the opportunities I
had. I have been quite successful in that, and have nothing to
complain about. I am not envious of others who can do these things,
and it is basically irrelevant that I can´t, or don´t want to, I am
merely happy for them, that they enjoy it so much. I always was happy
for people who enjoyed their fishing.

As it turns out, I will not be doing much more fishing anyway, either
here or anywhere else. Force of circumstance. Just how it is.

One thing that all the nastiness and silliness can not take away, is
your love and enjoyment of fishing, so I would not be overly worried
what anybody here might say. It wont affect that at all.

TL
MC
Old December 27th, 2007, 01:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

wrote:

there was nothing in your post that required or even invited a negative
comment, imo. i read it and appreciated it. thanks.

That's because you don't appreciate irony, counselor.

i reckon some might claim that...and perhaps it's so; but i'll wager
it's a higher art form than exhibited in your response to steve.

jeff (who prefers appreciation rather than depreciation, and euphony
over irony g)
Old December 27th, 2007, 02:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:43:11 -0500, jeff
wrote:

i reckon some might claim that...and perhaps it's so; but i'll wager
it's a higher art form than exhibited in your response to steve.

Art? Who the hell is talking about art? I'm talking about pure and
simple irony ("obscene consumerism" criticism, followed by......wait
for it......... ta daaa ..... obscene consumerism.) Ya gotta love
it. Mayby you prefer the word hypocrisy. That works fo me. But,
either way, no art involved.

Old December 27th, 2007, 02:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Joe McIntosh[_3_]

"jeff" wrote in message
' who appreciates euphony'
Damm Jeff you don"t even like my Yani concert tape !
think I have been lucky enough to fish in 13.7 % of the places and my squaw
won"t let me return to New Zealand as I would stay.
You guys cannot even enjoy a picture book ???
Joe the elder

Old December 27th, 2007, 02:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Joe McIntosh wrote:
"jeff" wrote:
' who appreciates euphony'
Damm Jeff you don"t even like my Yani concert tape !
think I have been lucky enough to fish in 13.7 % of the places and my squaw
won"t let me return to New Zealand as I would stay.
You guys cannot even enjoy a picture book ???

Why don't you keep that racist language to yourself, it's
not appreciated here.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old December 27th, 2007, 02:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Wolfgang wrote:
"rw" wrote in message

Dave LaCourse wrote:

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 11:32:49 -0800, rw
wrote:

I didn't ask for the book, Dave.

Yeah, I know. Funny how things like that happen at Christmas time.

It wasn't me that complained about the "obscene consumerism". Glass
house and all that..... You could have refused it, dontchaknow. And
what did you GIVE this year?

That's none of your business.

Absolutely right! It is no more his business than is what you GOT for
Christmas.......or, for that matter, all of the bigger fish than anybody
else has caught in all the strictly non-consumer places that you have been
to (and/or those you will yet get to) and nobody else has. Come to think of
it, all those "shared" photos of all those enormous, firm, virile (and
presumably male) fish are probably none of his business either......nor
anyone else's here. And then there's you relationships with all those
nubile young female body parts.....that's probably none of our business
either.

Gosh, don't it make you wish there was some way of keeping us from prying so
deeply and frequently into your personal life? It certainly does me.

Wolfgang

I can assure you only of this much: I didn't give anyone anything even
remotely related to fly fishing.

Old December 27th, 2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
BJ Conner

On Dec 26, 11:12*am, rw wrote:
I received this book as a Christmas present. Naturally, I first had to
see how many of the places I've already fished:

Alaska -- Bristol Bay: Rainbow Trout and Silver Salmon Around Bristol Bay

California: Brown and Rainbow Trout Around Greater Redding

Florida: Permit off the Florida Keys
(Didn't catch a permit, or much of anything)

Idaho -- Last Chance: Rainbow Trout on the Henry's Fork

Idaho -- Stanley: Cutthroat Trout on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River

Kiribati: Giant Trevally Off Christmas Island
(Didn't catch a Giant Trevally, but lots of Bonefish)

Montana -- Fort Smith: Brown and Rainbow Trout on the Bighorn River

Wyoming: Brown and Rainbow Trout on the Firehole River
(It was too warm for decent fishing)

Wyoming and Montana: Brown and Rainbow Trout on the Madison River

Only 41 more to go! Too little time left. :-)

On the top of my wish list is Seychelles Islands: Bonefish on
St.François Lagoon.

Here's a list of all 50 places.
http://www.meosphere.com/User/WhatIt...&InfoID=231234

I checked it out of the library a couple of years ago. Nice pictures.
The author writes books on were the best 50 places to do lots of
things, play golf, watch birds, eat hamburgers etc. etc.
I was not and am still not convinced that he knows much about
fishing.
Roff could come with a list of the 50 best places to fly fish that
would be just as valid.
I think there is a calendar on this same theme but not a many places.
I can't fault the author, he's got a good scam. He gets to travel
take pictures ( I don't think he takes them all), fish play golf,
watch birds etc.
Old December 27th, 2007, 03:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

BJ Conner wrote:

Here's a list of all 50 places.
http://www.meosphere.com/User/WhatIt...&InfoID=231234

I checked it out of the library a couple of years ago. Nice pictures.
The author writes books on were the best 50 places to do lots of
things, play golf, watch birds, eat hamburgers etc. etc.
I was not and am still not convinced that he knows much about
fishing.
Roff could come with a list of the 50 best places to fly fish that
would be just as valid.
I think there is a calendar on this same theme but not a many places.
I can't fault the author, he's got a good scam. He gets to travel
take pictures ( I don't think he takes them all), fish play golf,
watch birds etc.

That's a great point. It's a brilliant scam. (This was, however,
according to the dust jacket, his first book.)

Even better, he didn't even have to write the book, except for the
introduction and the editing. All the entries are written by third
parties, none of whose names I recognize except for Ernest Schwiebert.

This guy can write off all his travel expenses, taken off the top of his
earnings (from the book) before taxes. He has to check out the
recommendations, right?

Brilliant.

As long as he sells enough books he's living the life, and the book
obviously makes a natural excellent gift for someone in her life who
loves fly fishing. :-)