Fifty Places to Fly Fish Before You Die (by Chris Santella)

Old December 30th, 2007, 01:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Default Fifty Places to Fly Fish Before You Die (by Chris Santella)

Wayne Knight wrote:
As American citizens we'd have to break the law to go there. Isn't that
****ed up?

It would not be all that hard for you to get a Visa to visit Cuba
legally since you've had a magazine article or two printed IIRC. I got
permission just to go along with a writer in the early days of the
administration. If the travel and spending ban for the average Joe
ever gets rescinded, the BASS guys are going to go nuts.

apparently, there are ways to get there legally and fish. wally, mark,
and i know a fella in morganton that goes there regularly. also, years
ago when i was in jamaica one of the resorts offered special tours to
veradero (?) beach that a lot of americans took to see havana and
partake of "stuff" cuba offered at very low prices.

jeff
Old December 30th, 2007, 02:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus--Mark H. Bowen

"jeff" wrote in message
Wayne Knight wrote:
As American citizens we'd have to break the law to go there. Isn't that
****ed up?

It would not be all that hard for you to get a Visa to visit Cuba
legally since you've had a magazine article or two printed IIRC. I got
permission just to go along with a writer in the early days of the
administration. If the travel and spending ban for the average Joe
ever gets rescinded, the BASS guys are going to go nuts.

apparently, there are ways to get there legally and fish. wally, mark,
and i know a fella in morganton that goes there regularly.

I cannot believe that you have revealed the LEADERS location! I suspect that
Jason Bourne is likely on his way to take you out. So much for the April/May
fishin' excursion :~^ (

Btw, stopped in to see Greg the other day. He is stayin' in NC for the
Winter. He plans to turn the campground into a luxury trailer park? He is
also interested in installing a hydoelectric dam and wants me to get him
info similar to what you had asked about. Did you ever contact Dr. Brian W.
Raichle at the Dept. of Technology? If you have lost the info on him I will
resend it to you.

As usual Greg's plan is quite grand, but I'll believe it when I see it, as I
haven't seen him do a great deal towards his other plans of the past.
Personally, I hope he leaves the campgrounds as they are, and simply build
more cabins an open up a few more motorcoach sites. The way he talks, the
lodge, Wayno's cabin, the shower house and other buildings will be raised to
make room for a large number of motorcoach hook-ups.

I stopped by Wally's store the other day and cashed in my credit for that
POS William-Joseph's chestpack that fell apart
on our last outing. I ended up spending another $150 on a neat western NC
fly fishin' book and a Fishpond chest and backpack. I like this rig much
more so that the W-J POS. This set-up doesn't make me look like I have to
sagging square tits hangin' off of me! Used my credit to by my brother some
Woolrich merchandise (Birthday ****), which naturally turned out to be to
small for him. So I had to spend another $100 buyin' him some ASU clothing
and I get to wear the Woolrich stuff :~^ )

Wally and I met at Greg's place the other day, and I got to watch him drink
half of the gift I had brought of Greg--Greg wasn't there. OBROFF--brought
along fishin' gear, but never wet a line.

Op

Old December 30th, 2007, 03:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

jeff wrote:
Wayne Knight wrote:

As American citizens we'd have to break the law to go there. Isn't that
****ed up?

It would not be all that hard for you to get a Visa to visit Cuba
legally since you've had a magazine article or two printed IIRC. I got
permission just to go along with a writer in the early days of the
administration. If the travel and spending ban for the average Joe
ever gets rescinded, the BASS guys are going to go nuts.

apparently, there are ways to get there legally and fish.

The restrictions on Americans who can travel to Cuba are actually quite
specific and severe, and I don't fit into any of the categories.

I understand that the risk of traveling to Cuba illegally is pretty
small if you take precautions (risk of prosecution, I mean), but they do
exist and people have been prosecuted. But that wasn't my point.

The point is that the government has no business telling its citizens
where it can't travel. The are no other such restrictions covering any
other place in the world, as far as I'm aware.

The only reason for it, IMO, is to appease an important voting block
(Cuban Americans) in an important swing state (Florida). In fact, that's
the sole reason for the stupid and counterproductive embargo in general.

Old December 30th, 2007, 04:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Halfordian Golfer

On Dec 29, 8:19 pm, Mike wrote:
I did not post that, Mr.Conner did, my name is Connor. But here´s the
list if you want it;

Silver Salmon on Nakalilok Bay
Alaska
Alaska Peninsula

Rainbow Trout and Silver Salmon at Bristol Bay
Alaska
Bristol Bay

Landlocked Salmon on Rio Traful
Argentina
Bariloches

Golden Dorado on Estero Ibera
Argentina
Estero Ibera

Sea-run Brown Trout on the Rio Grande
Argentina
Tierra del Fuego

Black Marlin off Cairns
Australia

Bonefish off North Andros Island
Bahamas

Peacock Bass on the Rio Negro River
Brazil

Steelhead on the Dean River
British Columbia
Bella Coola

Steelhead on the Skeena System
British Columbia
Smithers

Brown and Rainbow Trout around Greater Redding
California

Brown and Rainbow Trout off Chilean Fjords
Chile

Brown and Rainbow Trout in the Gunnison River
Colorado

Tarpon off Jardines de la Reina
Cuba

Rainbow Trout in Blagdon Lake
England
Blagdon

Brown Trout in the River Test
England
Stockbridge

Permit off the Florida Keys
Florida

Atlantic Salmon on the Laxa i Adaldal
Iceland

Rainbow Trout on the Henry's Fork
Idaho
Last Chance

Cutthroat Trout on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River
Stanley, Idaho

Giant Trevally off Christmas Island
Kiribati

Brook Trout on the Woods River System
Labrador

Redfish around Cocodrie
Louisiana

Landlocked Salmon on the West Branch of the Penobscot River
Maine

Striped Bass off Martha's Vineyard
Massachusetts

Largemouth Bass in Lake Huites
Mexico
Sinaloa

Snook at Boca Paila
Mexico
Yucatan

Brown Trout on the Au Sable River
Michigan

Taimen in Mongolia
Mongolia

Brown and Rainbow Trout on the Bighorn River
Montana
Fort Smith

Rainbow Trout on Armstrong's Spring Creek
Montana
Livingston

Rainbow Trout on the Upper Delaware River
New York

Brown and Rainbow Trout on the South Island
New Zealand

Northern Pike on Great Slave Lake
Northwest Territories

Atlantic Salmon on the Alta River
Norway

Steelhead on the North Umpqua River
Oregon
Livingston

Redsides and Steelhead on the Deschutes River
Oregon
Maupin

Brown Trout on LeTort Spring Run
Pennsylvania

Atlantic Salmon on the Grand Cascapedia
Quebec

Rainbow Trout on the Zhupanova River
Russia
Kamchatka

Atlantic Salmon on the Ponoi River
Russia
Kola Peninsula

Atlantic Salmon on the Rivers Dee and Tay
Scotland

Bonefish on St. Francois Lagoon
Seychelles Islands

Brown Trout Around Peralejos de las Truchas
Spain

Brown and Rainbow Trout on the Green River
Utah

Brown Trout on the Battenkill River
Vermont

Smallmouth Bass on the Shenandoah River
Virginia

Brown and Rainbow Trout in the Firehole River
Wyoming

Brown and Rainbow Trout in the Madison River
Wyoming and Montana

Tiger Fish in the Zambezi River Zambia

This one has intrigued me for a long time as very doable.

Redfish around Cocodrie, Louisiana

Actually, what looks more intriguing (to me, very naively anyway) is
the Venice, LA area. Not sure if the gulf and beaches there are nice
but it has to be pretty with all that shoreline. Was thinking a great
place to explore, camp with row boats? Or is that just crazy talk?

Halfordian Golfer

Old January 2nd, 2008, 07:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"rw" wrote in message
Halfordian Golfer wrote:

Will you please post all 50 places? I'm very curious to see what they
are. It would interesting to try and speculate. Thinking about it for
even a few seconds I find doing that harder than it sounds. Naming the
top 50 places near home would be hard, let alone the entirety of the
world.

That's too much typing for me. Maybe I should send the book to Wolfgang.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but just about anything and everything
you've posted here over the years was too much typing for you.

Wolfgang
guess where my hands are.

Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Lazarus Cooke

In article ,
wrote:

Buena Vista Social Club - Geart music!

.... or even better....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Afro-Cuban-L...s/dp/B00005LW4

....same people, but the first half is a much better film, made by a
much better director.......

Lazarus