Four Stroke -vs- Two Stroke Maintenance

Old January 5th, 2009, 02:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
[email protected]

Default Four Stroke -vs- Two Stroke Maintenance

Hoping this works cause I'm at work trying to access the ng through
Google...

Anyway, I'm considering purchasing another boat and see now that
Tracker is selling mostly with four stroke engines. I'll assume that
this means no more mixing oil and gas which is a positive, and that
the engine will not be as loud. Most likely will be a little slower
compared to a two stroke too, right? Speed aint that important to me
as I'm only looking at about a 40hp anyway.

I remember winterizing my two stroke... but I'm wondering about the
four stroke. Since it doesn't burn oil, I really wouldn't have to
about oil gumming up the fuel injection, like I did with the carbs...
Speaking of fuel injections, how's the gas consumption?

I know... I'm sounding like a noob again!
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
[email protected]

On Jan 5, 8:42*am, wrote:
Hoping this works cause I'm at work trying to access the ng through
Google...

Anyway, I'm considering purchasing another boat and see now that
Tracker is selling mostly with four stroke engines. I'll assume that
this means no more mixing oil and gas which is a positive, and that
the engine will not be as loud. Most likely will be a little slower
compared to a two stroke too, right? Speed aint that important to me
as I'm only looking at about a 40hp anyway.

I remember winterizing my two stroke... but I'm wondering about the
four stroke. Since it doesn't burn oil, I really wouldn't have to
about oil gumming up the fuel injection, like I did with the carbs...
Speaking of fuel injections, how's the gas consumption?

I know... I'm sounding like a noob again!

Hi Charles;

I would look at the Evinrude E-Tec 40 HP. It is 2 cycle 2 cylinder
with no mixing of oil and gas and EFI. Can be ordered in several
configurations with electric or rope starter etc. I recently replaced
my engine with an E-Tec and it is the best engine I have ever run.
Mine is a 90hp 3 cylinder 2 cycle. It is quiet and starts easily. In
addition it has an auto winterizing feature which lets you winterize
with no hassle. Much better fuel efficiency than my old engine. If you
want to take a look at it just give me a call. I recently pulled it
home to redo all the electrical wiring but will have it back at the
marina shortly.

Happy New Year and best wishes.

Jack
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

On Jan 5, 7:42*am, wrote:
Hoping this works cause I'm at work trying to access the ng through
Google...

Anyway, I'm considering purchasing another boat and see now that
Tracker is selling mostly with four stroke engines. I'll assume that
this means no more mixing oil and gas which is a positive, and that
the engine will not be as loud. Most likely will be a little slower
compared to a two stroke too, right? Speed aint that important to me
as I'm only looking at about a 40hp anyway.

I remember winterizing my two stroke... but I'm wondering about the
four stroke. Since it doesn't burn oil, I really wouldn't have to
about oil gumming up the fuel injection, like I did with the carbs...
Speaking of fuel injections, how's the gas consumption?

I know... I'm sounding like a noob again!

Not at all. Good questions.

Here I go again. I typed out a thorough response earlier, but it
never appeared. Bass & Walleye Boats Magazine recently tested most of
the major 50HP pllayers on the market. If you are looking at 60s I am
sure they would test similarly. The Merc 4 stroke had the best fuel
economy and the best top speed, but nearly the worst hole shot of all
engines tested. The Merc 2 stroke had the best hole shot and the 2nd
best top speed (about 1 mph difference), but nearly the worst fuel
economy. When they totalled the score for all of the outboards tested
for all of the scoring criteria the Merc 2 stroke rated the highest.
Its also the least expensive outboard in the group. They tested
Honda, Merc, Evinrude, Yamaha, and one of two others for 8 outboards
total I think. Since you are looking at Tracker and they only offer
them as package deals with Mercury outboards there is no reason to
look at the specific results for the other motors. If you want a
great hole shot to clear shallow water obstructions quickly go with
the Merc 2 stroke. If you need emmissions for places like Diamond
Valley and Tahoe, then look at the Merc 4 stroke.

For the naysayers, They used several identical hulls, and let the
factory teams install, setup, and drive their own outboards. BWB
staff road along and recorded the results with their own
instruments.

Since this was a performance test of brand new outboards I can not
speak to maintenance or durability, but I have sure run the heck out
of my 2005 Merc 2 stroke. Also, the O in ELPTO means oil injected.
You just keep the oil tank full on the outboard and put gas in the
tank. No mixing involved. On mine there is a cap that comes out
through the top of the cowling that I can open and add 2 stroke oil.
The only maintenance I do is add oil, change the lower unit oil once a
year, and put in a new water pump impellor every year (sandy river
running). I can do all of that myself fairly easily. I do check the
plugs, but so far its still purring on the original factory set. The
same maintenance I would do on any outboard.

A 4 stroke does require an oil change periodically just like your car
or truck, so that would add to the maintenance cost.

JMHO
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

On Jan 5, 11:16*am, Bob La Londe wrote:
On Jan 5, 7:42*am, wrote:

[...]

Bob La Londewww.YumaBassMan.com- Hide quoted text -

Oops. I see you are looking at a 40. I missed that the first time.
Should be right on the money comparson wise with the 50. For the 2
stroke a lot of parts or the same between the Merc 50 and the Merc
40.

Speed may not be important to you, but look at the speed tables on
Tracker's outboard options spec page for the boat you are looking
at.

My litttle boat sees a big difference between my 50HP Merc 2 Stroke
and my 50HP Force 2 Stroke (The Force puts out about 40 HP). With the
Force I get about 28 -31 top speed. With the Merc I have tipped the
40 mark a couple times, and can routinely run 38. 8 - 10 MPH
difference is not a lot on a small lake, but it makes a difference
when running 16 miles up river to your spot.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message SNIP

Oops. I see you are looking at a 40. I missed that the first time.
Should be right on the money comparson wise with the 50. For the 2
stroke a lot of parts or the same between the Merc 50 and the Merc
40.

Speed may not be important to you, but look at the speed tables on
Tracker's outboard options spec page for the boat you are looking
at.

My litttle boat sees a big difference between my 50HP Merc 2 Stroke
and my 50HP Force 2 Stroke (The Force puts out about 40 HP). With the
Force I get about 28 -31 top speed. With the Merc I have tipped the
40 mark a couple times, and can routinely run 38. 8 - 10 MPH
difference is not a lot on a small lake, but it makes a difference
when running 16 miles up river to your spot.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Not only would a larger motor offer a little more speed, it will offer more
fuel economy as when you do need to make a run, instead of running at WOT,
you can back off the throttle a little bit, still maintain the same speed as
a smaller outboard at WOT, but be running more efficient at reduced rpms.

I used to guide from a 17' boat with a 75 hp outboard. When I moved up to a
19' boat with a 175 EFI, I not only used LESS fuel, but my travel times were
reduced.

Plus, many people underestimate how they're going to load the boat. Once
you get anchors, a full load of fuel, water in the livewell, all tackle, a
cooler with iced soft drinks and your beer-drinking fishing buddy, you'll
soon find out that a 40 hp boat might be VERY underpowered.

Charles, want to buy my Triton TR-21? I'll make you one heck of a deal and
I'll even deliver it! Of course, we'll have to go out and I'll teach you
how to run it, and we'll do some fishing.....
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old January 6th, 2009, 12:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
D K[_2_]

wrote:
On Jan 5, 8:42 am, wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, Tracker only offers Mercury products.

-dk
Old January 6th, 2009, 04:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Charles B. Summers

Steve... I'd love to have your Triton, but I'm just wanting a boat that's
fun to fish from/easy to care for/cheap to maintain/not a gas hog. It's time
to do this again... and I rally don't want anything that'll make me work too
hard... if you know what I mean. Just a little fishing boat.

Old January 7th, 2009, 10:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
DanD

Default Florada trip

So am planning a trip to Florida next month.
The northern end of Okeechobee as far as I know.
Mostly it is the brothers trip, I go along to get away from the snow.
Anyway first time on the lake for us. Usually go to the Kissimmee chain.
Brother likes to pull a shiner around while we cast artificial from the
font.
To me it is to much like worm fishing, and neither of us do that much.
Mostly spinner baits, crank baits and a fluke or two for good measure.
Ok for me it is mostly different colors and sizes of spinner baits.
Heck if it doesn't want to hit a spinner bait must not really be hungry.
Will not have a computer there, so if anyone has any info or wants someone
to fish with for a day or two in Feb. let me know.
Plan to leave Wisconsin on the 13th of Feb should be on the lake by the
15th. Two weeks later back to Wisconsin. for joy for joy Have I ever said I
hate the cold weather.......
That was the reason for going into the Navy.
Well at least it is a couple of weeks of hopefully sunny weather.
Dan not an ice fisherman
--

Sometimes the best thing to do:
Is nothing at all. But not this time.