Pretty damn cool

Old January 10th, 2008, 09:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L

Default Pretty damn cool

I still have a copy of "Splash" the program that got "Flash" started
before Macromedia bought it, and I've upgraded to each of the first 5
versions of Flash.

Now, as you all know it has become far more than just a way to make graphics
more interesting on a website, has it's own scripting language and is often
the real core of a site instead of HTML. On my slow dial-up I've come to
dislike Flash as pageweight is usually way too heavy for me.

But, this is way cool ... imho ... I may have to upgrade to latest version
and study for weeks to learn how this was done

http://www.flytyingclips.com/chung.html

Old January 10th, 2008, 09:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly, rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
rb608

On Jan 10, 4:50*pm, "Larry L" wrote:
But, this is way cool ... imho ... I may have to upgrade to latest version
and study for weeks to learn how this was done

That *is* cool. I could study for weeks, & I still wouldn't
understand it.

Joe F.

Old January 10th, 2008, 10:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mike Ridolfino[_2_]

Thats pretty neat! From a coding standpoint, its actually pretty simple
and straightforward. The hard part would be taking all the pictures
required to make it look as smooth as it does.

--
Mike Ridolfino
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly, rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
[email protected]

On Jan 10, 2:50 pm, "Larry L" wrote:

But, this is way cool ... imho ... I may have to upgrade to latest version
and study for weeks to learn how this was done

http://www.flytyingclips.com/chung.html

Pretty nifty...I counted about 10 discrete increments for a 90 degree
rotation, so it looks like they just took 40 stills of the fly and
then just switch still images based on mouse location. Probably pretty
easy...once you get your stills all lined up.

Jon.
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly, rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mike[_6_]

On Jan 10, 11:44 pm, wrote:
On Jan 10, 2:50 pm, "Larry L" wrote:

But, this is way cool ... imho ... I may have to upgrade to latest version
and study for weeks to learn how this was done

http://www.flytyingclips.com/chung.html

Pretty nifty...I counted about 10 discrete increments for a 90 degree
rotation, so it looks like they just took 40 stills of the fly and
then just switch still images based on mouse location. Probably pretty
easy...once you get your stills all lined up.

Jon.

The guy who did this posted about it on one of the fly-dressing
boards. It involved taking a lot of still images. I canīt remember how
the rest was done, may be as you say a function of mouse location.

MC
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly, rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
salmobytes

On Jan 10, 2:50 pm, "Larry L" wrote:
http://www.flytyingclips.com/chung.html

That is very cool indeed.
I did 3D programming (in Ope-Inventor and OpenGL on SGI boxes)
for several years. I'm guessing, but I assume there is some
3D interpolation going on there. A half a dozen or more photographs,
taken at regular 360' intervals, are fed into a program that fills
in the blanks, much the same way 3D tomography is done.

I've seen rotations of electron and confocal microscope images
put together in a spin like that, where software takes out blurriness
due to depth of field, and splices it all together so it looks like
a continuous view. I'd like to know what flash software did that.

Old January 11th, 2008, 11:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly, rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
salmobytes

On Jan 10, 4:04 pm, salmobytes wrote:
On Jan 10, 2:50 pm, "Larry L" wrote:
http://www.flytyingclips.com/chung.html

That is very cool indeed.

I thought about this some more. It doesn't have anything to do
with 3D--you can only spin the image in one axis.
I'll bet this is 2D frame-to-frame pixel morphing.
The user takes 4-8 still photos in a regular axis rotation.
Then something vaguely like Xmorph interpolates a bunch
of new frames between the original image points. How that
happens in semi-realtime is a mystery. This is no giant
animated gif. That would take too long to download.
There are a few image editing groups on usenet.
Maybe someone out there really knows.
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mike Ridolfino[_3_]

You're trying too hard. Its simply a matter of taking alot of shots, at
least 36 for this fly at regular angles. If I was coding it, I'd
preload all the images, create a double linked list(or similar
structure) with one element per picture, and then move left or right on
the list based on the left or right movement of the mouse. You could
code it in Javascript if you really wanted, but flash makes it much
more compact. Morphing images and creating new frames would be way too
heavy for most internet connections, and you'd never get such a clear
view unless the software was incredibly advanced.

--
Mike Ridolfino
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Sal Monella

Mike Ridolfino wrote:
You're trying too hard. Its simply a matter of taking alot of shots, at
least 36 for this fly at regular angles.

Maybe.
The following is similar. But it uses a ray-traced cartoon
as a starting point. I'm going to have to learn
about ActionScripting and animations. This looks too much
fun.

http://72.21.54.82/kozykorner/flash-lego3d