Lures for fishings

Old October 15th, 2003, 10:35 PM
Eric Delongchamp

Default Lures for fishings

What is the best lures or jigs for Walleye and pike? thanks
Old October 16th, 2003, 12:11 AM
_jj_

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:35:59 -0400, Eric Delongchamp
wrote:

What is the best lures or jigs for Walleye and pike? thanks

Where are you fishing ?
I always liked the 5-o-Diamonds spoon, for pike.
John T.

Old October 16th, 2003, 01:30 AM
smiles

If I knew, I wouldn't have tackle boxes full of plastic, marabou, hair jigs
of all sizes and colours. One rule of thumb. The better stuff is a tad
more expensive. Go to a good tackle shop and let the salesman recommend you
some lures. You will also learn the first rule of fishing....suck the other
guy's brain dry of all the info you can get.

Old October 17th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Dark Knight

Sweet Lord! Such a simple question, with nothing close to a simple answer.

For Walleye, I'd have to say that the single best presentation is a
jig-&-live leech, but there are a lot of folks that swear by crankbaits, and
lots that swear by harnesses for walleye. I've certainly caught my fair
share on both of these options, and give the rod combo you presented in your
for you. (Your rod's a bit long, and a bit stiff - in my opinion - to be a
really good jigging stick.)

As for the best Pike bait, I'm not too sure there is one. You can catch
Pike on jigs, flies, spoons, cranks, live bait, dead bait, spinners, and the
occasional kitchen sink!

Given your rod and reel, my suggestion would be:

A) Spool up with some 14lbs Berkley Fireline (10lbs Diameter). If you have
a spare spool, load it with 6 or 8lbs Trilene Tournament Strength.

B) Pick yourself up perhaps a three or four lipless crankbaits, in weights
from 1/4 oz to 3/4 oz. Rattlin' Raps, Ambush Stealth Divers, etc.
- Lipless cranks are a universal, able to catch both species with
fair consistency.

C) Pick up perhaps a half dozen Rapala Husky Jerks - or some other
suspending crank, in a variety of sizes and colors.
- Again, they will catch both species on a regular basis.

D) Add in two or three in-line spinners, like those offers by Mepps,
Mangler, Vibrax, or Reel Pearl.
- On the retrieve, you'll catch more Pike than Walleye, but if you
can vertical jig for Walleye with a spinner, you'll do just fine.

E) Round out your collection with some spoons, leaders, a handful of jigs
and soft plastic grubs, and some Lindy-styled "walker" weights and
harnesses, and you should be go-to-go-for either species, in just about
every situation.

DK

Old October 18th, 2003, 07:08 PM
john

Both.

For walleye, if you don't know where the fish are, troll using lures to
pinpoint locations or contact roaming fish. Rapala body baits and others are
fine for that. Longer narrow (minnor baits) are better in my opinion. You
may need weight to get them deeper. If you do know where the fish are (for
example off a rocky point or shoal) then using jigs with a twister to hit
the spot. Sweeten with worm or minnow and you'll catch fish

For pike - the top choices are 1) spoons (5 of diamonds, red devil) 2)
spinner baits 3) body baits (again rapala). Don't forget a leader for pike.