A Fishing forum. FishingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » FishingBanter forum » uk.rec.fishing newsgroups » UK Game Fishing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Fly Fishing Rods



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
Dave Lane
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default Fly Fishing Rods

W. D. Grey wrote:
In article , Dave Lane
writes


snip

Just a Ford.... KA :-)
Difficult to get a decent rod in the back though!


you want to try getting a 14 foot double hander into a mini???
Even in 3 pieces.... :+)


Your maths are in terrible state - 3 doesn't go into 14...:-)

How are things Dave - any salmon this season yet?


Hi Bill - sadly no - not yet. The river has been up and down like a
yo yo, and I don't think that I have ever seen it so high - bit dodgy
being down there sometimes. I've been flogging away at all of my
favourite places, and a whole bunch of new spots, which have been quite
nice to explore - but just the once had the line suddenly slap tight -
really gets the heart going, doesn't it? It's chucking it down again
this morning, so no prizes for guessing where I'll be later today :+)
I was up at Idwal over the weekend, had a bunch of small trout, but
might not make it up there again before the end of the month, and we
didn't seem to get the mass heather fly fall - still time yet if the sun
should suddenly decide to reappear.

cheers

Dave
  #12  
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 391
Default Fly Fishing Rods

In article , Dave Lane
writes
W. D. Grey wrote:
In article , Dave Lane
writes


snip

Just a Ford.... KA :-)
Difficult to get a decent rod in the back though!

you want to try getting a 14 foot double hander into a mini???
Even in 3 pieces.... :+)

Your maths are in terrible state - 3 doesn't go into 14...:-)
How are things Dave - any salmon this season yet?


Hi Bill - sadly no - not yet. The river has been up and down like a
yo yo, and I don't think that I have ever seen it so high - bit dodgy
being down there sometimes. I've been flogging away at all of my
favourite places, and a whole bunch of new spots, which have been quite
nice to explore - but just the once had the line suddenly slap tight -
really gets the heart going, doesn't it? It's chucking it down again
this morning, so no prizes for guessing where I'll be later today :+)
I was up at Idwal over the weekend, had a bunch of small trout, but
might not make it up there again before the end of the month, and we
didn't seem to get the mass heather fly fall - still time yet if the
sun should suddenly decide to reappear.

cheers

Dave

I've only been out twice this year :-(

I fished when the Tawe Disabled Fishers visited a local put an take
fishery. I managed three nice rainbows on each occasion. All the fish
weighed near as dammit 2.5 lbs each -(well graded stockies)

Our local river - the Tawe has really been showing its strength this
year with all the rain we've had up the top end of the Swansea Valley.
--
Bill Grey

  #13  
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 285
Default Fly Fishing Rods

In article valid,
Lazarus Cooke wrote:
In article , Derek Moody
wrote:


Just spent a couple of weeks in Ireland, far -too much- water though. There
were a couple of Shannon tribs we could have fished but even finding the
river under all that floodwater would have been a feat.


Hi Derek whereabouts were you? I've been thinking it would have been a
great season on the Irish rivers I usually fish on the Foyle system -
it's rare for Irish rivers to have more water than they can handel.


We were touring, looking for any sort of fishing. On the RTE news there were
bridges washed out on some of the E coast rivers, Ireland had a -lot- of
rain. Caught a few mullet and bass of the shore and some small coarse fish
but the trip, generally, was below par.

I did have one sea-trout follow a lure on a rocky foreshore at the start
of the trip - looking for bass that day.

I'm sure those with local knowledge could have taken a few salmon/sea trout
but the sheer weight of water meant that detailed local knowledge was
essential and, significantly, no locals were out.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/
uk.rec.fishing.game Badge Page:
http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/urfg/

  #14  
Old September 17th, 2008, 09:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
Dave Lane
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default Fly Fishing Rods

W. D. Grey wrote:
In article , Dave Lane
writes
W. D. Grey wrote:
In article , Dave Lane
writes


snip

Just a Ford.... KA :-)
Difficult to get a decent rod in the back though!

you want to try getting a 14 foot double hander into a mini???
Even in 3 pieces.... :+)
Your maths are in terrible state - 3 doesn't go into 14...:-)
How are things Dave - any salmon this season yet?


Hi Bill - sadly no - not yet. The river has been up and down like a
yo yo, and I don't think that I have ever seen it so high - bit dodgy
being down there sometimes. I've been flogging away at all of my
favourite places, and a whole bunch of new spots, which have been
quite nice to explore - but just the once had the line suddenly slap
tight - really gets the heart going, doesn't it? It's chucking it
down again this morning, so no prizes for guessing where I'll be later
today :+)
I was up at Idwal over the weekend, had a bunch of small trout, but
might not make it up there again before the end of the month, and we
didn't seem to get the mass heather fly fall - still time yet if the
sun should suddenly decide to reappear.

cheers

Dave

I've only been out twice this year :-(

I fished when the Tawe Disabled Fishers visited a local put an take
fishery. I managed three nice rainbows on each occasion. All the fish
weighed near as dammit 2.5 lbs each -(well graded stockies)

Our local river - the Tawe has really been showing its strength this
year with all the rain we've had up the top end of the Swansea Valley.



Well, hold the page... caught my first salmon on the fly yesterday
afternoon. Unfortunately, it was only 4" long, with lovely thumbprints
all the way down the sides. D'you think it counts?

  #15  
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 391
Default Fly Fishing Rods

In article , Dave Lane
writes

Well, hold the page... caught my first salmon on the fly yesterday
afternoon. Unfortunately, it was only 4" long, with lovely thumbprints
all the way down the sides. D'you think it counts?


If it only has thumbprints then No. It needs fingers to count :-)
--
Bill Grey

  #16  
Old September 17th, 2008, 03:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
riverman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,032
Default Fly Fishing Rods

On Sep 17, 7:55*pm, "W. D. Grey" wrote:
In article , Dave Lane
writes



*Well, hold the page... caught my first salmon on the fly yesterday
afternoon. *Unfortunately, it was only 4" long, with lovely thumbprints
all the way down the sides. *D'you think it counts?


If it only has thumbprints then No. *It needs fingers to count :-)
--
Bill Grey


Hilarious

--riverman
  #17  
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
Dave Lane
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default Fly Fishing Rods

W. D. Grey wrote:
In article , Dave Lane
writes

Well, hold the page... caught my first salmon on the fly yesterday
afternoon. Unfortunately, it was only 4" long, with lovely
thumbprints all the way down the sides. D'you think it counts?


If it only has thumbprints then No. It needs fingers to count :-)


groan....
  #18  
Old September 19th, 2008, 04:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,901
Default Fly Fishing Rods

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:55:59 +0100, "W. D. Grey"
wrote:

In article , Dave Lane
writes

Well, hold the page... caught my first salmon on the fly yesterday
afternoon. Unfortunately, it was only 4" long, with lovely thumbprints
all the way down the sides. D'you think it counts?


If it only has thumbprints then No. It needs fingers to count :-)


Gylwnn yslyn g'dyn baegig f'ubyar laegogll drflyyl yyyyl aeaeaeae...

y Gymraeg,
R
....hyll, evyn y'll Welsh f'ylks wyll, er, pry'll wyndyr...thym whyt
dysn't spyek 'th lyngynge wyll wyndyr...
  #19  
Old September 19th, 2008, 04:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 785
Default Fly Fishing Rods

On Sep 19, 5:53*am, wrote:
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:55:59 +0100, "W. D. Grey"

wrote:
In article , Dave Lane
writes


*Well, hold the page... caught my first salmon on the fly yesterday
afternoon. *Unfortunately, it was only 4" long, with lovely thumbprints
all the way down the sides. *D'you think it counts?


If it only has thumbprints then No. *It needs fingers to count :-)


Gylwnn yslyn g'dyn baegig f'ubyar laegogll drflyyl yyyyl aeaeaeae...

y Gymraeg,
R
...hyll, evyn y'll Welsh f'ylks wyll, er, pry'll wyndyr...thym whyt
dysn't spyek 'th lyngynge wyll wyndyr...


Just in case any of you UK lads are wondering, this is one of the real
nasty *******s from ROFF. Treat with caution. Indeed, best to ignore
him altogether.

TL
MC
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fly Fishing Rods W. D. Grey Fly Fishing 21 September 23rd, 2008 04:36 PM
Fly Fishing Rods Dave Lane UK Game Fishing 0 September 2nd, 2008 09:40 AM
Fly Fishing Rods Dave LaCourse Fly Fishing 2 September 2nd, 2008 02:27 AM
fishing rods philip.crook1 UK Coarse Fishing 1 January 23rd, 2007 09:04 PM
fishing rods Jr and Faye General Discussion 0 January 26th, 2004 07:06 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FishingBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.