Do any of you local Pacific NW folks go to one of these?

Old February 21st, 2005, 04:09 AM
Padishar Creel

Default Do any of you local Pacific NW folks go to one of these?

The Fly Tying classes with Mark Backmann up at Welches, Oregon? If so was
it useful. It is a hike from my home to his fly shop, but be worth it if I
learned something...

http://www.flyfishusa.com/newsletter/current/

Old February 21st, 2005, 03:41 PM
Guy Thornberg

I have known Mark Bachmann (and Patty) for over 25 years since they ran
their shop out of the little log cabin on Hwy. 26. I visit their shop
everytime I go the "The Mountain" to visit family. There are many
knowledgeable flyfishers in Oregon. Mark is among the top in the craft and
dedicated as well. If I were still living in Welches, all of Marks functions
would all be on my calendar.

I will be in Welches (and Deschutes) appx. May 11 - 18 if you would like to
tie up for some of the local fishing or one of Mark's functions.

Guy (Dreaming & reminiscing of silver bright steelhead and Deschutes
Redsides).

Old May 6th, 2005, 02:38 PM
gary

The Deschutes is extremely overrated in my opinion. There is so many people
dependant on it for there living there is a lot of fictional stories about
the great fishing there.

It used to be good, but that was years ago. The same with many rivers, and
streams.

One might as well go golfing.

Old May 8th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Guy Thornberg

Hi Gary,
I will be on the Deschutes this coming Friday (the 13th) for several days at
our 28th annual "Maupin Flop". Hopefully we will hit the stone fly hatch.
There will be relatively few steelhead in the river at this time so we will
be seeking trout for the most part and am sure we will hook up with some
"snooters". It does seem the trout fishing on the Deschutes has fallen off
in recent years but the steelhead runs are still fantastic. I am going to
try some other stimulator patterns, a casual dress and use some tiny
droppers this year rather than the regular GRHE, caddis, stone flies (nymphs
& dries) and muddlers. I will also try some other streamer type files along
with a sink tip line. Hopefully the river will be "Hot" this year. It has
always been "Hit or Miss" fishing for me - one day you'll catch 20+ fish and
the next day none. We can always drown our sorrow if we don't catch fish...
but we do it less often now.

One thing though, any day on the river is better than a day (or a 1,000) on
the golf course (unless you fish the water hazards). You golf. Less pressure
on the river.
GuyT

"If I ever get so I can catch fish, so that each becomes just another fish,
I shall sell or give away my tackle." -Sparse Gray Hackle

(If I recall correctly, my quotes below were regarding a post related to
spay fishing which Mark Bachman excels along with steelheading in the local
area which includes the Deschutes.)

ink.net...

Old May 9th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Salmo Bytes

Guy Thornberg wrote:
Hi Gary,
I will be on the Deschutes this coming Friday (the 13th) for several days at
our 28th annual "Maupin Flop". Hopefully we will hit the stone fly hatch.

I rowed the Deshutes two Novembers ago, from Warm Springs to Maupin,
in an 11' wood-frame, two-man Rapid Robert. Rowed the whole way *except*
for the Whitehorse rapids. I let the boat's owner do that stretch.
....if it was my boat, I wooda done it. But it wasn't.

Anyway, what a beautiful river. What a beautiful float. What a place.
The only bad part was the wind (strong enough to make a parked
locomotive shake and vibrate, every now and then) and, well, the
locomotives. Those trains were so loud I can still here them now.
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:57 AM
JR

Guy Thornberg wrote:

I will be on the Deschutes this coming Friday (the 13th) for several days at
our 28th annual "Maupin Flop". Hopefully we will hit the stone fly hatch.

I'll be on the lower D a couple of days next week (probably Wed/Thurs) and
then again the following week, either at Mecca or around Maupin. Where
are you folks basing yourselves?

JR