18 Inch Brown

Old May 21st, 2007, 01:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Peter A. Collin

Default 18 Inch Brown

I got this one on a dry fly- my first real hog of the year. While
carefully playing it, a big smallmouth bass was chasing it away from its
nest!

Pete Collin

Old May 21st, 2007, 10:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Dave LaCourse

On Mon, 21 May 2007 08:11:24 -0400, "Peter A. Collin"
wrote:

I got this one on a dry fly- my first real hog of the year. While
carefully playing it, a big smallmouth bass was chasing it away from its
nest!

Pete Collin

Nice fish, Peter, but that doesn't look like one of your bamboo rods.
Slumming it, are you? d;o)

Heading up to the Rapid first thing in the morning. Temps are
supposed to be high of 61, low of 34. My kind of weather.

Old May 21st, 2007, 11:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Peter A. Collin

wrote:

I got this one on a dry fly- my first real hog of the year. While
carefully playing it, a big smallmouth bass was chasing it away from its
nest!

Pete Collin

Nice fish, Peter, but that doesn't look like one of your bamboo rods.
Slumming it, are you? d;o)

I own a lot of rods and I try to fish them all during the season! I am
not a bamboo snob at all.

Wish I was going to the Rapid, too. Have a buddy from Maine coming to
fish in a couple weeks. Hope I can put him into fish like that one.

Pete
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
daytripper

wrote:

I got this one on a dry fly- my first real hog of the year. While
carefully playing it, a big smallmouth bass was chasing it away from its
nest!

Pete Collin

Nice fish, Peter, but that doesn't look like one of your bamboo rods.
Slumming it, are you? d;o)

I own a lot of rods and I try to fish them all during the season! I am
not a bamboo snob at all.

Wish I was going to the Rapid, too. Have a buddy from Maine coming to
fish in a couple weeks. Hope I can put him into fish like that one.

Pete

Don't feel like you're missing anything.
It's High Tide on the Rapid right now - they're running above 2000cfs
(2700cfs, iirc) - which makes most of the river virtually unfishable...

/daytripper (ponding is where it's at this week in New England...)
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Peter A. Collin

Don't feel like you're missing anything.
It's High Tide on the Rapid right now - they're running above 2000cfs
(2700cfs, iirc) - which makes most of the river virtually unfishable...

/daytripper (ponding is where it's at this week in New England...)

My very first session on the Rapid, it was running 2700 or so. Was
feeling a sense of foreboding on my drive there, wondering if the river
would be blown for my whole trip. Turns out I caught 11 fish in the
first few hours in that high water. So you never know!

Pete
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Dave LaCourse

wrote:

I got this one on a dry fly- my first real hog of the year. While
carefully playing it, a big smallmouth bass was chasing it away from its
nest!

Pete Collin

Nice fish, Peter, but that doesn't look like one of your bamboo rods.
Slumming it, are you? d;o)

I own a lot of rods and I try to fish them all during the season! I am
not a bamboo snob at all.

Wish I was going to the Rapid, too. Have a buddy from Maine coming to
fish in a couple weeks. Hope I can put him into fish like that one.

Pete

Don't feel like you're missing anything.
It's High Tide on the Rapid right now - they're running above 2000cfs
(2700cfs, iirc) - which makes most of the river virtually unfishable...

/daytripper (ponding is where it's at this week in New England...)

One of the old time guest's son took a beautiful five pound brook
trout from 2nd current yesterday.

I was shut out. Spent the afternoon working on my tan and tying
flies.

The flow is actually 4000 cfs. Twenty years in the Navy and I never
saw that much water. Only a few places at the dam to fish, and you
need a boat/motor to get out to the island (which is submerged) The
big rock at the end of the island by 2nd current is a foot underwater.
Yet, folks are still taking some nice trout and salmon. Water temp is
a frigid 44 degrees. Too cold for any hatches except small mayflies
(bwo?). The only good thing about such high water is that there are
no locals hiking in.

Fifteen people in camp, many of them hiring guides to find the fish.
A new cook, Donna, has shown that she has the right stuff with a
delicious meal last night. A new waitress from Germany takes your
order. Another new waitress from China will begin work next week.

I'm here until the end of June. Hopefully by then the flow will go
down to something reasonable, like 2000 cfs. d;o)

Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Dave LaCourse

On Wed, 23 May 2007 06:16:49 -0400, "Peter A. Collin"
wrote:

Don't feel like you're missing anything.
It's High Tide on the Rapid right now - they're running above 2000cfs
(2700cfs, iirc) - which makes most of the river virtually unfishable...

/daytripper (ponding is where it's at this week in New England...)

My very first session on the Rapid, it was running 2700 or so. Was
feeling a sense of foreboding on my drive there, wondering if the river
would be blown for my whole trip. Turns out I caught 11 fish in the
first few hours in that high water. So you never know!

Pete

Yep, no problem. They are catching fish at 4000 cfs. Not many places
to fish, but if you know where, the river is still productive.

It is cold! I slept with four blankets, fleece long johns/sweater,
and a fleece watch cap. Got up at 5 and put a match to the stove.
Cabin was fairly warm by 5:30. Thermos of hot coffee rounded things
out nicely.