Browns on the Madison?

Old October 1st, 2005, 03:48 AM
chas

Default Browns on the Madison?

I have an opportunity coming up to drive to Jackson hole to watch a neighbor
kid compete figure skating. A great thing about this is that I can get a
couple days to fish on the Madison for that fall run of browns.

This would probably be around the 10th of October. Is that the right timing,
or will I again be too early?

It's a half baked idea, but the oven is still hot.

Chas
remove fly fish to e mail directly

Old October 1st, 2005, 04:55 AM
Larry L

"chas" wrote

This would probably be around the 10th of October. Is that the right
timing,
or will I again be too early?

as of today, according to Blue Ribbon in West Jellystone

Madison River in the park: Good numbers of lake run trout have arrived.
Shakey beeleys, copper zonkers, red fox squirrel nymphs, and rufus specials
have been working well. Remember these trout are on the move and a run that
had fish yesterday may not today. Move around, fish early, fish late and you
will be rewarded.

Old October 1st, 2005, 04:53 PM
Larry L

"chas" wrote

I have an opportunity coming up to drive to Jackson hole to watch a
neighbor
kid compete figure skating. A great thing about this is that I can get a
couple days to fish on the Madison for that fall run of browns.

The drive from Jackson to the Madison is tedious. Look into the Lewis
Channel ( between the lakes ) it is known for big spawners too in the Fall
and is a lot closer to Jackson

Old October 1st, 2005, 05:32 PM
Kevin Vang

In article ,
says...

The drive from Jackson to the Madison is tedious.

You must be pretty damn jaded!

Kevin
--
reply to:
kevin dot vang at minotstateu dot edu
Old October 1st, 2005, 11:52 PM
Wolfgang

"Larry L" wrote in message

...For me, driving is like drinking .... I've done more than a life's
worth in less than a life time and, as a result, now I would rather avoid
it.

Maybe so, but a sufficient dedication to the latter still makes the former
much more tolerable......when necessary

Wolfgang

Old October 3rd, 2005, 01:11 PM
Conan The Librarian

Wolfgang wrote:

"Larry L" wrote in message

...For me, driving is like drinking .... I've done more than a life's
worth in less than a life time and, as a result, now I would rather avoid
it.

Maybe so, but a sufficient dedication to the latter still makes the former
much more tolerable......when necessary

Hilarious, and so true. :-) As for the original point -- when
SWMBO and I were in Montana, we made the drive from Raynold's Pass to
Jackson just for the hell of it. It was wonderful; seeing the Tetons in
the distance, driving across Henry's Fork and seeing Lawson's flyshop,
the Railroad Ranch, etc. The only problem was when we got to Jackson
itself, and saw that it looked like a yuppie western theme park. We
immediately circled the wagons and got out of Dodge.

On the way back we took the Teton Scenic Bypass (or whatever the
hell the loop is called), which took us past the Warm River, and into
Cardiac Canyon and Upper Mesa Falls. Stunning scenery all along the way.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Chuck Vance (maybe it comes from living in Texas, but drives like
that one and the run into the GSMNP from Robbinsville just seem like a
nice way to pass the time)

Old October 3rd, 2005, 04:25 PM
chas

"Larry L" wrote:

"chas" wrote

This would probably be around the 10th of October. Is that the right
timing,
or will I again be too early?

as of today, according to Blue Ribbon in West Jellystone

Madison River in the park: Good numbers of lake run trout have arrived.
Shakey beeleys, copper zonkers, red fox squirrel nymphs, and rufus specials
have been working well. Remember these trout are on the move and a run that
had fish yesterday may not today. Move around, fish early, fish late and you
will be rewarded.

Thanks Larry. It sounds like I might be a bit late, particularly when I
realize it's more like Oct 17 or 18, instead of the 10th.

I will consider that Lewis river channel. I've fished that before, but in mid
summer with not much activity. I also wonder about the lake trout, and when
they make their run. Maybe even around Yellowstone lake there is a place to
help kill those invaders?

Old October 3rd, 2005, 04:29 PM
chas

Kevin Vang wrote:
In article ,
says...

The drive from Jackson to the Madison is tedious.

You must be pretty damn jaded!

Kevin

I'm with you here Kevin. I've been known to skip fishing for a day so I could
drive around in the park, and I've been to the park about 20 times over the
years. But then, I even enjoyed a 1400 mile drive across the frozen plains to
fish a wind-swept lake with folks I hadn't met yet!

Old October 3rd, 2005, 06:22 PM
Larry L

"chas" wrote

I've been known to skip fishing for a day so I could
drive around in the park, and I've been to the park about 20 times over
the
years.

The vast majority of my "fishing days" in the Park involve far more time
"sight seeing," such as watching the Bison, going for a walk just to see
what's there, taking non-fishing photos, and "just sittin' and lookin,'
then fishing. If I carry a rod 5 hours, likely 2.5 involve actually trying
to catch fish, and maybe only 1 of real 'casting.' I don't think much of
the best the Park offers can be appreciated from a car, and frankly being
stuck behind Horace from Oklahoma in his Motorhome, stopped IN the road to
take a picture of yet another Bison, with Dilbert from Texas tail gating me
like his life depended on saving 3/4 second in a 20mile drive, is FAR more
like San Jose or Dallas than the visit with Nature I seek.

Fishing is just the excuse

http://www.kimshew.com/flyfish/displ...php?log_id=187