Senko's

Old September 24th, 2004, 12:54 AM
big fish 2003

Default Senko's

I haven't posted hear for a long time, and I think that's why I have
been sucking in my tournaments lately. I fish Senko type baits alot and
they just don't seem to be catching the fish they did a few years back,
I fish them mostly Texas rig and whacky some, could I be fishing the
baits too fast? I have a tournament this Sunday and the lake is kinda
stained water, what color, size and technique do you guys think I should
use or should I just try a different bait.

Old September 24th, 2004, 01:23 AM
Brad Coovert

I fish Senko type baits alot and
they just don't seem to be catching the fish they did a few years back

Like any bait, after the fish see a few million of them, they get used to them.
They are still a good bait though, but you also cannot force feed them the
bait when they are on another bite.

I fish them mostly Texas rig and whacky some, could I be fishing the
baits too fast

You could be. I've found that if you are fishing them weightless, you cannot
fish too slow. Let 'em sink, then let 'em sit. Just watch that line! Give
'em a lift and repeat.

The fish may want 'em faster, you gotta try different things and find what
works.

I like to fish 'em weightless, but I like to use screw in weights on the 5"
baits also with straight shank hooks. The bait has a fall like a tube rigged
this way.

They also work great on a C-rig.

I have a tournament this Sunday and the lake is kinda
stained water, what color, size and technique do you guys think I should
use

I guess that depends on what you define as "stained", for me, that is about 1'
of visibility. About any color will work and I would stick with the 5". Just
stick with your confidence colors. Maybe dye the tail now and then and try
that.

should I just try a different bait.

I would never just fish one bait unless the fish are just tearin' it up. I'm a
plastic and jig junkie and I always have rods for 5" Senkos, Fat Ikas, 4"
flipping tubes, Sweet Beavers, Crigs, Brush Hogs and jigs/trailers ready to go.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

Old September 24th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Bob La Londe

Stained, If you got sunfish then throw pumpkin with a chartruese tail

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing

Old September 24th, 2004, 06:00 PM
go-bassn

Senkos are good in oneway, but like poison in another. I remember when
plastic worms drewstrikes like magic too...

Warren

Old September 24th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Bob La Londe

I had that experience with salted plastics when they first started getting
popular. I had a hard time not gut hooking fish because they would suck
them down right away. I don't think I got any fish that spit them out at
all. It was pretty amazing.

Old September 24th, 2004, 08:42 PM

Don't know what state ya in or the water temp of your lake, but I'd
guess the fish still very active and chasing. So I would put the Senkos
away till the fish slow down. Go with blades, some thing that makes
noise, Rat L Traps, plugs with a wide wiggle. Don't stick with anything
long unless catching fish. Look for long points on the main lake and
work them over good. Main thing to find the fish first, second what to
catch 'em on. Find a contour map of the lake and study it before ya get
out, a good map of the lake is a must for sucess, also use your depth
finder to pin point areas from the map. These deep canyon lakes in CA
are like no others on the east side of the Rockys, so don't know if this
will be of help or not. Good luck.....

sket