Dropshotting

Old September 19th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Doyce McIlvene

Default Dropshotting

"Rodney" . wrote in message
Doyce McIlvene wrote:
Rodney,
Jay Yelas NEVER claimed to have invented the rig in question, but was

merely
demo'ing it in answer to a question from a member of the audience. IT

was ME
that tagged it "the Jay Yelas rig" as this was the first time that I had
seen it.
Now if you have a problem with me doing so, I could care frikken
less. You may or may not have invented it,

I did, and I now remember showing it to Jay, as I made some phone calls
and another pro was there and told me when, he also told me that Jay was
not claiming it...

but who gives a rats rear end as
you said yourself that you couldn't or wouldn't patient it, so

therefore, it
is pubic domain as for as I am concerned much the same as the Texas rig,

It is just that,, I just wanted to make sure we did not end up with
another (Trilene knot) as they did not invent that knot (no I didn't

either)

It is doubtful that you could have secure a patent on it or else you
certainly would have, knowing the schrewed and wise businessman that you
are. And as far as I'm concerned, it is still the "Jay Yelas rig" and not
the "Rodney Long rig".

which I'm sure that you invented also!

Now your being an A.H.

Perhaps, but you were the one that jumped on my case for not giving you the
credit for inventing the rig in question. I don't know you nor do I care to
know you. I have never heard of you or your inventions. I care about Bass
fishing and don't give a care as to who invents what. Most of the inovations
that have come about in the last twenty years in the fishing industry are
really nothing more than rehashes of old lures, techniques or ect. with a
twist and most of those that do come along die well deserved death as they
are designed to catch fishermen, not fish. Tried and true always comes
thourgh in the end.

thunder and get a life.

This is my life, it is how I make my living, and it is important I get
the proper credit,, not to, or from the fishermen, but to the big
players in the fishing industry, you see they do keep score on who came
up with what, and that can make a big difference in how much they pay me
in the future, and how long a contract I get. It also improves my TV
exposure chances

Best of luck to you, if thats the life you choose to lead. I honestly wish
you the best and all the sucessing your endevors. As for it not being
important to you to get the proper credit from fishermen, keep in mind that
ultimately it is the fisherman that will pay the bills and make you the big
bucks and not the big boys in the industry. It is little ole me and the
folks like me, that goes to Bass Pro Shops and plops down my hard earned
$5.00 for a spinnerbait or the like or there wouldn't be any big players in
the fishing industry. It sure it was important for Gary Yamamoto to be
credited with the Senko by fisherman and now He IS a big boy in the fishing
industry. The same can probably be said for Bill Lewis and the Rattle Trap
i'm sure and I know He is a big boy in the fishing industry.

Go fishing and don't sweat the small crap!

As I just showed you, it is not small crap to those inside the industry.
It is very hard for a fishermen, not inside the industry to make it
licensing new fishing products,, few ever do it, and sometimes when one
does,, someone else tries to take the credit cutting the legs right out
from under the true inventor

Bud, the key word in this discussion is product. In my reply to the OP, the
discussion was on technique, Not product. He was inquiring about
dropshotting. If you want to make your fortune, you better do so with a
product not a technique or it ain't gonna happen as Bubba says. Name me one
person, just one, that has become rich and famous from selling a technique.
Some pros are noted for the expertise in a given technique, but they don't
try to sell it in Walmart.

Cheers,
--
Doyce

Old September 19th, 2004, 03:11 AM
alwaysfishking

Doyce wrote: Name me one
person, just one, that has become rich and famous from selling a technique.

Jenna Jameson.. I won't describe the technique :-)

Old September 19th, 2004, 03:11 AM
alwaysfishking

Doyce wrote: Name me one

Old September 19th, 2004, 03:11 AM
alwaysfishking

Doyce wrote: Name me one

Old September 19th, 2004, 04:02 AM
Calif Bill

I am saying just because you published it first and that is questionable,
that you did not invent it. Do a literature search on sal****er and rockcod
fishing. The dropshot is just a freshwater version of what sal****er
fishermen have been using for probably 2000+ years. Since hooks were
developed. We sal****er fishermen have been using a stinger hook above a
jig for as long as I can remember and I am 61 years old. The western bass
pro's came up with dropshot for deep lakes. And I bet he fished the Pacific
Ocean off a boat of pier. Florida does not have deep lakes so is not a
place where it would be invented. Can be used in shallow water on bedding
bass, etc., but that is a side benefit to the dropshot. First to publish
most likely gets credit, but being you are a sal****er fisherman also, I
seriously believe you have seen the hook above a jig. You just applied it
to bass with your banjo do-dad. You may even have a patent, but is most
likely not an enforceable patent for a hook above a jig. Those bass people
you mentioned had never seen a dropshot until a deep water fisherman came
from the west to kick ass. Same as flipp'n. Dee Thomas did not invent the
concept, he just improved on it and modified the original Tule-dippn that
won him his national first tourney. They banned the long pole, so he
figured out another way to do it. And Dee even gives credit to the old guys
who figured out tule-dippn at Clear Lake, California. I remember watching
Clude and the others with 10' bamboo poles and a heavy line and a live
rubber jig, dancing the jig on top the water and pulling out big bass. You
may have come up with another application for a hook above a jig, but you
did not invent the concept.
Bill

"Rodney" . wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:

You did not invent it Rodney.

Yet you are saying he did ?

You just applied it to using a CR rig or some
other rig below a dropshot in bass fishing. There were probably others
doing it bass fishing also.

Probably don't get it, and how in the world can you say I didn't ?

I would bet there are a lot of fishermen are doing it now

There is not a single article "ANYWHERE" in any fishing magazine, prior
to me publishing it, this fisherman never demonstrated it prior, and
according to the US patent office I am the inventor of it, No, someone
using it does not infringe on my patent, as that part was not worth
patenting, (no way to enforce that part of the patent) although it is
included in my patent drawings

WHen I showed this part (the Carolina rigged drop shot) to Bill Dance,
Hank Parker, Ray Scott, AL Linder, The editor of Bassmaster's, The
writers of Bassmaster's, Field and Stream, and two dozen other
magazines, they said they had never heard of it, or anyone ever thinking
about it prior

Someone claiming it is "their" idea is morally wrong, PERIOD !

"""If""" someone, some where, used it once prior to me,, then that is
just tough, first to publish, gets the credit, unless they can "prove" I
got it from them, or from ANYWHERE else.
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Old September 19th, 2004, 04:12 AM
Henry Hefner

Andrew Kidd wrote:
"John C. French" wrote in message
. ..

So, I can tie a line to a cane pole, attach a hook to it, get a patent and
say I invented it?

You must have also invented the cast on your arm that you broke while
patting yourself on the back......

No joke there, Rodney! It's absolutely obnoxious....and for God's sake, get
a spell checker - please!

You know Rodney, some people are absolutely unaware of how big an ass they
are. Are you as egotistical, brash and obnoxious in person as you seem to
be on this NG? Or can you not make this judgment yourself?

Apparently not, as numerous people have told him this numerous times.

Please refrain from mentioning your patents (again and again) in your
answer...with over 6.8 million patents in existence, it's not exactly unique
to have a novel idea!

I seem to remember him promising to leave and never return. He keeps his
word as well as jajwuth/canoeangler/lurebuilder.

Old September 19th, 2004, 04:50 AM
Doyce McIlvene

Good one, alwaysfishking! I stand corrected! But we ain't talkin no Bass
fishin now either!!! LOL!
Cheers,
--
Doyce