OT Two things

Old November 16th, 2006, 04:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Default OT Two things

The Dining & Wine section of the Times on November 8 had an
article and recipe on a novel way to make bread. I've never
had an aptitude for baking of any sort but I've made three
loaves now and this method makes absolutely gorgeous bread.

Mix three cups of flour (I use two cups bleached white and
one cup whole wheat) 1/4 teaspoon yeast and 1 1/4 teaspoon
of salt. Add 1 5/8 cups of water to make a very wet, sticky
dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit for at least
18 hours. Turn it out on a surface with just enough flour
to keep it from sticking then fold it into thirds and then
into half. Place it seam side down on a towel coated liberally
with flour, corn meal or wheat bran (I use wheat bran) and
cover with another towel. Let it sit for at least two hours.
Crank up your oven as high as it will go, mine goes to 550F,
and put a 4-6 quart enameled, covered cast iron pot, like a
Le Creuset, into the oven while it comes to temp. You want
a very hot pot. Throw the dough in seam side up, cover the
pot and bake for a half hour. After a half hour take the
lid off and continue until browned (it varies).

You won't believe it until you try it, but this turns out
a bakery quality boule right out of your home oven. The wet
dough in the hot covered pot has the moisture home bakers
have strived in vain for and that creates a wonderful, crackly
crust that you've never been able to get at home before.
Amazingly good.

And it's the third Thursday of November !! BEAUJOLAIS NOUVEAU !!
Woohoo. They're saying this batch is the equal of the 2003.
We'll find out tonight.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old November 16th, 2006, 05:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid

You won't believe it until you try it, but this turns out
a bakery quality boule right out of your home oven. The wet
dough in the hot covered pot has the moisture home bakers
have strived in vain for and that creates a wonderful, crackly
crust that you've never been able to get at home before.
Amazingly good.

Sounds great. I'll try it this weekend.

And it's the third Thursday of November !! BEAUJOLAIS NOUVEAU !!
Woohoo. They're saying this batch is the equal of the 2003.
We'll find out tonight.

Wine is grape juice one step removed from vinegar, though the
beaujolais might be two steps removed. I'll pass.
Frank "the Cretin" Reid

Old November 16th, 2006, 05:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote ...
The Dining & Wine section of the Times on November 8 had an
article and recipe on a novel way to make bread. I've never
had an aptitude for baking of any sort but I've made three
loaves now and this method makes absolutely gorgeous bread.

Saturday looks to be a gout-inducer. The plan is dolmades (thanks, Wolfgang
and Chuck, we're hooked,) bruschetta, assorted stinky cheeses, olives, and
bread during the initiation of the new, fancy Scrabble board (it spins --
cool!) Thanks for the bread recipe -- we rarely get the results we want, but
this seems pretty straightforward, and should fit in quite nicely.

And it's the third Thursday of November !! BEAUJOLAIS NOUVEAU !!
Woohoo. They're saying this batch is the equal of the 2003.
We'll find out tonight.

Oh, yeah! Love the stuff. To be honest, I'm not too sure why. Truth be told,
it's not the greatest wine out there, and it's certainly not the cheapest
(although it's not expensive.) But, for some reason, it's always a fun and
enjoyable wine. We usually pick up a few bottles, saving one for Easter (or
is that Saturnalia?) :-)

Thanks again for the tip....
Dan

Old November 16th, 2006, 06:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Kevin Vang

In article ,
says...

And it's the third Thursday of November !! BEAUJOLAIS NOUVEAU !!

Here's an interesting article, by the snobbiest wine snob I have ever
read:
http://www.slate.com/id/2074387/

Kevin
Old November 16th, 2006, 06:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:14:38 -0600, Kevin Vang wrote:

In article ,
says...

And it's the third Thursday of November !! BEAUJOLAIS NOUVEAU !!

Here's an interesting article, by the snobbiest wine snob I have ever
read:
http://www.slate.com/id/2074387/

Are you saying that the writer is "snobby" in this article, or that he
is generally "snobby?"

If the former, I'd strongly disagree - I saw nothing "snobbish" and I
think he made a good case to back up what IMO is a fact: Beaujolais
Nouveau is little more than French Ripple and DuBoeuf is to fine (hell,
even decent) wine what Mickey D's is to fine dining (but that said, a
cheap hamburger and some Ripple isn't _always_ a bad thing).

If the latter, I can't say that I've ever seen another piece from him,
so ???

TC,
Old November 16th, 2006, 06:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Kevin Vang wrote:
says...
And it's the third Thursday of November !! BEAUJOLAIS NOUVEAU !!

Here's an interesting article, by the snobbiest wine snob I have ever
read:
http://www.slate.com/id/2074387/

Nobody, least of all myself, is going to claim that Beaujolais
Nouveau is fine wine. But it is a fun wine, ideal for gulping
not sipping, and it goes well with all variety of food. We
enjoy hell out of our annual case or two or three and it's
always the wine on the table at Thanksgiving. If your sister
plopped an ice cube into her wine glass would you want her to
be drinking that Burgundy you've had in the cellar for ten
years or a $9 bottle of Beaujolais Nouveau ? ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old November 16th, 2006, 06:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

wrote in message
[...]

So, what leads you to believe that anyone does or should give a **** what
you think about all this......or anything else, for that matter?

Seriously.

Wolfgang

Old November 16th, 2006, 07:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
Kevin Vang wrote:
says...
And it's the third Thursday of November !! BEAUJOLAIS NOUVEAU !!

Here's an interesting article, by the snobbiest wine snob I have ever
read:
http://www.slate.com/id/2074387/

Nobody, least of all myself, is going to claim that Beaujolais
Nouveau is fine wine.

No, of course not. You are (for the moment, anyway) content with the
implication that your devil may care attitude toward the regard of others
says all that needs to be said about your éclat. So much so, that you would
never even need to start such a thread to demonstrate this, thus making it
clear that you only did so to demonstrate that you aren't bound by such
silly considerations.

But it is a fun wine, ideal for gulping
not sipping, and it goes well with all variety of food.

Mostly, it's trash, gulped by trash as an accompaniment to trash.

We
enjoy hell out of our annual case or two or three and it's
always the wine on the table at Thanksgiving.

If it's as good as you say, you should save a bottle for Friday.

If your sister
plopped an ice cube into her wine glass would you want her to
be drinking that Burgundy you've had in the cellar for ten
years or a $9 bottle of Beaujolais Nouveau ? ;-)

Moot point. My sister isn't from alabama.

Wolfgang

Old November 16th, 2006, 08:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"Kevin Vang" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
Are you saying that the writer is "snobby" in this article, or that he
is generally "snobby?"

Generally snobby. That particular article wasn't too bad, but here's
some other selections from his ouev
http://www.slate.com/id/2088890/
http://www.slate.com/id/2085758/

Now, THAT is some funny stuff! You suppose we could get this guy to come
play in ROFF?

Wolfgang