Fly Fishing Equipment

Old September 29th, 2003, 01:06 AM
rob

Default Fly Fishing Equipment

I've been wanting to get in to fly fishing and I am wondering what
brand of equipment would you recoment for a beginer.

Rob
Old September 29th, 2003, 01:21 AM
Tim J.

"rob" wrote...
I've been wanting to get in to fly fishing and I am wondering what
brand of equipment would you recoment for a beginer.

Olympus makes very nice binoculars.
--
TL,
Tim

Old September 29th, 2003, 01:31 AM
Ernie

"rob" wrote in message
om...
I've been wanting to get in to fly fishing and I am wondering what
brand of equipment would you recoment for a beginer.

Rob

Beginner kit for trout,and panfish (this is what I would get)
You can add items as you need them.
Ernie Harrison

Vise -Thompson pro. and a midge head
Hackle Pliers
Bobbin, (ceramic tube)
Surgical scissors, with large thumbhole for palming
Bodkin
Bobbin threader
Hooks, Mustad (box of 100)
94840 in sizes 10 and 12 and 14 (dry fly)
3906 in sizes 10 and 12 and 14 (wet fly/nymph)
Thread 6/0, (black, brown, yellow and red)
Head cement.
Dubbing wax.
Gold wire, (fine)
Tinsel, (medium) silver on one side, gold on the other
Floss, (red, yellow, and green)
Chenille, small (black, yellow, olive and brown)
Bead heads, medium (gold)
Calf tail, (white)
Squirrel tail, (gray)
Hares mask,
Deer hair, (natural)
Rooster hackle, (brown, and grizzly)
Mallard wing, (pair)
Ringneck pheasant tail
Peacock herl

Hook & Hackle on line catalog at http://www.hookhack.com/
Has most of these items and their prices are reasonable.

Old September 29th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Jeff Miller

look for good quality entry-level rod and reel. all of the major
mail-order catalogues (orvis, ll bean, cabela's) have good selections.
g-loomis, st. croix, cortland, orvis, ll bean offer low-mid price rods -
less than $200. if you aren't sure and you're just testing the waters,
try out a friend's rig first. while the things i enjoy about
fly-fishing aren't diminished or enhanced by the quality of the
equipment, stuff poorly suited to your methods of fishing can make it
more difficult.

here's what i'd do if i wanted a good start on beginning to solve the
great mystery...

1. orvis or ll bean entry level outfit du jour. generally reliable
offerings and good folks to deal with at a distance. excellent
guarantees and return policies. or, go to your closest fly shop and get
personal service - recommendations, etc. you don't mention the kind of
fishing you'll be doing. i've fished a 3 weight rig in montana, maine,
pensylvania and nc. it'll do fine and is comfortable. for all round
use, 4 or 5 weight is probably better. i'd go with the 4 weight. unless
you're fishing tiny water, get an 8.5 foot rod. get the best line you
can - stay away from cabela's entry-level tomato staking line. cortland
and orvis are my choices for mid-price lines.

2. breathable stocking-foot waders. hodgman, dan baily, orvis, simms -
simms are the best for heavy-duty use, imo, but expensive. i've heard
they are coming out with a new mid-price wader. my expensive pair is
still going strong...so on a cost per year basis, i got better value
than the much less expensive hodgmans that lasted a little over a year.
i wouldn't take chances on the waders. get the best you can justify for
the kind of fishing you do.

3. chota felt-bottom wading boots for comfort. buy a size bigger than
your shoe size to accommodate socks and stocking foot waders.

4. leaders and tippet. look at catalogues. maxima and rio and climax
are good. buy the 9 foot leaders. 4x leader, 4x, 5x, 6x, 7x tippet
material.

5. flies - elk hair caddis, parachute adams, stimulator, royal wulf,
prince nymph, pheasant tail, gold-ribbed hares ear...

6. learn the nail or needle knot, surgeons knot, improved clinch knot.

7. buy a book on fly-fishing.

8. understand that all of the preceding is just words in the ether.
others will say i'm fulla **** and give you different recommendations.
in the end, it's your call based on what suits you, and something you
won't know or decide until after you've busted your ass in a stream
during a season of chasin wily mr. trout.

jeff

Old September 29th, 2003, 03:25 PM
George Adams

From: Jeff Miller

look for good quality entry-level rod and reel. all of the major
mail-order catalogues (orvis, ll bean, cabela's) have good selections.
g-loomis, st. croix, cortland, orvis, ll bean offer low-mid price rods -
less than $200. if you aren't sure and you're just testing the waters,
try out a friend's rig first.

Balance of generally good advice snipped

I agree with most of Jeff's advice with two exceptions:

1. I think a 4 weight outfit is a bit on the light side for a beginner's
all-around outfit. I'd recommend a 5 wt in 8" or 8-1/2", even a 6 wt if you
fish big water in windy conditions....you'll want to add lighter tackle later.
Go with a medium or medium/fast action to begin with. Since you are a true
beginner, you will have no real preferences here. Learn to cast with that
outfit, and make adjustments in tackle as you progress.

2. There are a number of breathable waders from major manufacturers in the $150
range that will give you good service.
No need to bust the budget at the outset. Good advice on the wading shoes,
though. Get something comfortable that offers good traction and ankle support.

Just my $0.02

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Old September 29th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Sierra fisher

My $.02
I don't know why anyone buys a rod less than 9' long. There is no savings
when you buy it, It doesn't cast any better, it is not appreciably easier to
negotiate through brush, it doesn't mend as well, and it weighs less than
1/2 oz less. If there is an reason, it favors the rod builder. There are a
lot of times when I would like a little extra distance and wish my rod was
10' long

Old September 29th, 2003, 05:44 PM
Joshua Rosenblatt

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:29:11 -0700, "Sierra fisher"
wrote:

My $.02
I don't know why anyone buys a rod less than 9' long. There is no savings
when you buy it, It doesn't cast any better, it is not appreciably easier to
negotiate through brush, it doesn't mend as well, and it weighs less than
1/2 oz less. If there is an reason, it favors the rod builder. There are a
lot of times when I would like a little extra distance and wish my rod was
10' long

Why don't you ask Ed Shenk.

Personally, I have rods ranging from 6' to 10'

Joshua
Old September 29th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Stan Gula

"Sierra fisher" wrote in message
My $.02
I don't know why anyone buys a rod less than 9' long. There is no savings
when you buy it, It doesn't cast any better, it is not appreciably easier

negotiate through brush, it doesn't mend as well, and it weighs less than
1/2 oz less. If there is an reason, it favors the rod builder. There are

lot of times when I would like a little extra distance and wish my rod was
10' long

Do you ever fish streams that you can jump across that are covered by
tangled masses of rhodendra?

Old September 29th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Ernie

"Sierra fisher" wrote in message
My $.02
I don't know why anyone buys a rod less than 9' long. There is no savings
when you buy it, It doesn't cast any better, it is not appreciably easier

negotiate through brush, it doesn't mend as well, and it weighs less than
1/2 oz less. If there is an reason, it favors the rod builder. There are

lot of times when I would like a little extra distance and wish my rod was
10' long

Interesting, my $.02 is it depends on the material the rod is constructed
from. Bamboo is tiresome over 7 1/2 feet and fiberglass is tiresome over 8
1/2 feet. You can go to longer rods with graphite. For me the length
depends on the use. Short rods for small or bushy streams and longer rods
for large rivers or lakes where you are casting longer distances. Of course
if you like to dap a longer rod is beneficial.
Ernie

Old September 29th, 2003, 06:13 PM
rb608

Sierra fisher's perfectly valid $.02:
I don't know why anyone buys a rod less than 9' long. There is no savings
when you buy it, It doesn't cast any better, it is not appreciably easier

negotiate through brush, it doesn't mend as well, and it weighs less than
1/2 oz less.

On the other side of the coin, although I have rods from 7.5' to 9.75', most
of my "primary" rods are 8.5' or less. They didn't cost any more, they
don't cast any worse, they are slightly easier to handle in close brush,
mend perfectly well on the waters I fish most, and weigh slightly less.

Joe F.