Fly Fishing Equipment

Old September 29th, 2003, 06:36 PM
rw

Default Fly Fishing Equipment

Sierra fisher wrote:
My $.02
I don't know why anyone buys a rod less than 9' long.

It fits inside the back of my camper shell, rigged up, without bending
too much. :-)

Old September 29th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Sierra fisher wrote:

My $.02
I don't know why anyone buys a rod less than 9' long.

I have fly rods from 1wt to 7wt and 6'3" to 10' in graphite, fiberglas
and bamboo. Every single one of them performs a specific task better
than any of the others. It's great to be a gear whore. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old September 29th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Wolfgang

"Sierra fisher" wrote in message
My $.02
I don't know why anyone buys a rod less than 9' long....

I've never owned or used one over 8.5 ft..........or under 4 for that
matter. Given the nature of the fishing that I do....panfish, trout,
a bit of salmon and steelhead, smallmouth bass, etc., on small streams
to large rivers and open water on tiny ponds to big (as in Michigan &
Superior) lakes....I can't see any reason to....let alone a GOOD
reason.

Wolfgang
YMEV

Old September 29th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Sierra fisher

(First liar doesn't have a chance)

I agree! I have singlehanded rods from 0 wt to 14 wt, and spey rods from 6
to 11 wt. Only two are less than 9' and only because that is the way Sage
builds their 0 wt and 2 wt rods.

I believe that the best reason listed above, is that is what fits in a
camper rigged

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
y.com...

Old September 29th, 2003, 09:13 PM
Jeff Miller

Sierra fisher wrote:

I've got an Expediton!

10 foot rods, expedition?? hmmm... just too damn freudian! g

depends on the water, i guess, but a 9 footer seems tougher for me to
manage in tight nc streams with little fish. i haven't noticed much
difference in mending or casting my 8.5 and 9' five weights, but i'm
sure i've not paid as much attention to the fine details of that 6
inches (yeah, i know, also too damn freudian...). more info from the
newbie would allow for better advice from people who fish the same
areas. ...and i still think a 4 weight is the best all purpose single
rod and line weight for normal troutin in the places i've fished.

jeff

"rw" wrote in message
. ..

Old September 29th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Wolfgang

"Jeff Miller" wrote in message

.....i still think a 4 weight is the best all purpose single
rod and line weight for normal troutin in the places i've fished.

Hm.......never used a 4 weight myself, but I've fished both 5 weights
(for 18 years) and 3 weights (for the last 2) in many of those same
waters as well as numerous others. Both work flawlessly.......even
brilliantly. I guess there's no good reason to suppose that a 4
wouldn't be adequate.

Wolfgang
well, in the right length, anyway.

Old September 29th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Larry L

"Sierra fisher" wrote in message
My $.02
I don't know why anyone buys a rod less than 9' long. There is no savings

A number of years ago a friend in Calif F&G told me about a "secret" spot
that they were using to try and help protect the gene pool of Lohantans It
is a very small stream, protected by a small waterfall from upstream
migration and they stocked it with the Cutthroats. I was told, at that
time, to expect up to 14 inch fish and to be sneaky and try not to be seen
( not to catch fish to avoid advertising their existence ).

I went off, 9 foot rod in hand and got little more than very frustrated.
The next time I went it was with a 6'6" 3 wt and the difference = lots of
fish caught as I could now ( barely) cast in the tangle of cover

the being sneaky was easy, as you can't even see the stream for all the
overhanging vegatation in most places ... G

I also know of a irrigation canal on a wildlife area in Calif that has BIG
Bass in it that will eat a big popper, it is shallow enough to wade but is
completely overgrown with willows and brush in many places ..... I'm still
looking for a 6' 8 wt but did try a stiff short old spinning rod with a fly
line one time to some success if not great casting G

I like to hop over Tioga to fish ExtraCrowdedCreek near YuppieSkiTown in the
Eastern Sierra. I fish it very early in the morning before the rest of the
crowd has picked exactly the right flavor of StarBucky coffee to start their
days. The creek has a lot of small black caddis and in the very early one
can find browns hugging the bank looking for caddis that fall off the grass.
I take a 7'6" 5wt because I can cast just the leader and a foot of line with
it, very accurately. I can get closer than 9 feet to these fish, if I move
like a hunter, and by throwing a curve can take fish only 5 or 6 feet from
me, closer than I can accurately cast with any of the 9 foot rods I happen
to own ( even dapping is hard that close with the 9 footers ). About the
time the crowd shows up I leave and grab my 10' rod to fish local lakes ....
honest there are reasons besides gearwhoreitis to have rods of various
length G

Old September 29th, 2003, 09:31 PM
Sierra fisher

I do 95% of my dry fly fishing with a 3 wt or 4 wt. However they are both 9
feet. When you are fishing even small streams you should try to stay as far
from the fish as possible. I think that the longer the rod, the better the
distance and accuracy. Actually, I don't think that many can tell the
difference of 6". However I think that using 7' carbon rods are just
handicapping yourself. If you are going to have to cast 30' while
surrounded by willows, you can do it easier with a 9' rod. If you are
using a 7' cane rod, you like hanicaps.

Sierra fisher wrote:

I've got an Expediton!

10 foot rods, expedition?? hmmm... just too damn freudian! g

depends on the water, i guess, but a 9 footer seems tougher for me to
manage in tight nc streams with little fish. i haven't noticed much
difference in mending or casting my 8.5 and 9' five weights, but i'm
sure i've not paid as much attention to the fine details of that 6
inches (yeah, i know, also too damn freudian...). more info from the
newbie would allow for better advice from people who fish the same
areas. ...and i still think a 4 weight is the best all purpose single
rod and line weight for normal troutin in the places i've fished.

jeff

"rw" wrote in message
. ..

Old September 29th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Wolfgang

"Sierra fisher" wrote in message
I do 95% of my dry fly fishing with a 3 wt or 4 wt. However they

are both 9
feet. When you are fishing even small streams you should try to

stay as far
from the fish as possible.

"As far as possible" is often under ten feet. As Larry pointed out,
it is often less than the length of one's rod. On the mountain
streams I've fished in North Carolina (as well as other places) a
likely pocket may be less than two feet in diameter and less than that
distance from your nose as you climb up over the boulder at the head
of the last one. On the other hand, on many a stream I've
fished.......um......in fact, on ALL of them..... "as far as possible"
is about twelve thousand miles. Even a ten foot rod wouldn't help
much......line control and all that, wot?

I think that the longer the rod, the better the
distance and accuracy.

It is entirely reasonable to suppose that, on average, longer rods
will allow longer casts. But other factors come into play. Other
characteristics of a given pair of rods may be more important. As for
accuracy, I can think of reason to believe that greater length
contributes. If distance casting is critical......and in trout
streams it is nearly always a mistake....then a heavier line weight
rod is the answer.

Actually, I don't think that many can tell the
difference of 6".

That doesn't really bolster your argument all that well, does it?

However I think that using 7' carbon rods are just
handicapping yourself. If you are going to have to cast 30' while
surrounded by willows, you can do it easier with a 9' rod. If you

are
using a 7' cane rod, you like hanicaps.

If you have trouble hitting 30 feet with any decent fly rod, or even a
cheap piece of ****, for that matter, you've GOT a handicap.

Wolfgang