Wading with "parts"

Old October 2nd, 2003, 04:38 PM
Wayne Knight

Default Wading with "parts"

Last May when I met up with Opie to fish his home water, I had a hell of a
time walking up the trail upstream due to some back and hip pain which had
been previously diagnosed as "arthritis". The hip has not gotten any better
and is now being termed degenerative. Diet and PT is not helping so it looks
like I'm going to have to have some hip replacement surgery this winter and
possibly a knee replacement too.

Do any of you have any experience or know of folks who have had major joint
replacement and how they got along with wading, hiking and the other such
physical activities associated with fishing? I can accept that a hike from
Clingman's dome to Hazel might no longer be an option but I really don't
want to give this up.

Thanks

Old October 2nd, 2003, 04:57 PM
Kevin Vang

Wayne Knight wrote:

Do any of you have any experience or know of folks who have had major joint
replacement and how they got along with wading, hiking and the other such
physical activities associated with fishing?

Semi-relevant data point: I know a guy who was had two hips
and a knee replaced, and he plays golf several times a week.

Even less relevant: The guy who lives across the street from
me had both hips replaced last year. I don't know if he gets
much physical activity, but the man looks 20 years younger.
I see him up and about now, and he doesn't have a look of pain
on his face anymore.

Not that medical advice from me is worth much, but you should
be ok to fish. Good luck with it,

Kevin

Old October 2nd, 2003, 05:05 PM
Larry L

"Wayne Knight" wrote

The guy that rents my pasture had both hips replaced. He doesn't dance his
way around, chasing his cows, but he has mentioned that the pain is so much
better that it was well worth it

Old October 2nd, 2003, 05:23 PM
Larry L

Ah, and this summer I happened on an aluminum walking stick, left behind by
someone at henry's Fork I repaired the handle, added a cord and small clip
and now carry it even on "easy wading" streams .... it helps my bad knees to
have just a little support for big steps and rough terrain ... I felt silly,
old, and certain that everyone that saw me was laughing g the first time,
but am glad to have it now.

And I'm sure you know it, but a bottle of good pain pills fits in a vest
pocket ... I carry two types that I was told make a good mix by a pharacist

Old October 2nd, 2003, 05:25 PM
Mark Anderson

"Wayne Knight" wrote in message
.com...

snip

Do any of you have any experience or know of folks who have had major

joint
replacement and how they got along with wading, hiking and the other such
physical activities associated with fishing? I can accept that a hike from
Clingman's dome to Hazel might no longer be an option but I really don't
want to give this up.

Thanks

Greetings Wayne and Group:
Heck, my Mom, (who is now 76), had hip replacement surgery 15 years ago.
She was always an avid hiker, bicycler and other wise outdoor fantatic.

She still is.

She works every day as a volunteer at the Native Plant Restoration Project
at Asilomar State Park here in CA. This requires that she not only walk a
lot, but also bend, stoop, shovel, plant... you get the idea. She says her
"new" hip is BETTER than the "old" one because she can actually walk more
than she used to. Again, her surgery was a long time ago now.
Oh, and she still hikes _and_ walks to work each day (which itself is
about 3 miles round trip.) OK, it ain't fishing, but she also does a lot of
tide-pooling. Does that count?
Go get'em Wayne!
Cheers, and tight lines.
-Mark

Old October 2nd, 2003, 07:33 PM
Dave LaCourse

Wayne writes:

Last May when I met up with Opie to fish his home water, I had a hell of a
time walking up the trail upstream due to some back and hip pain which had
been previously diagnosed as "arthritis". The hip has not gotten any better
and is now being termed degenerative. Diet and PT is not helping so it looks
like I'm going to have to have some hip replacement surgery this winter and
possibly a knee replacement too.

Welcome to the old man's club. My feet are in constant pain from neoropathy,
while my knees, hips, and especially my hands are painful from arthritis. I
find it difficult and painful to "get started", but once moving everything
feels a little better. I have a friend who had his knees done. He's older
than me and doesn't wade very often, but he gets around fine, even better than
I do at times.

Good luck. As Peter Charles said not to long ago, "If it doesn't hurt, it
probably ain't workin'."

Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Old October 2nd, 2003, 07:55 PM
George

About 15 years ago, my mother (84) fell and shattered her hip so she got a
replacement. She did limp after that but she got around better and felt
better. Best of luck to you...

George

Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:30 PM
Jeff Taylor

"Wayne Knight" wrote in message
.com...

Do any of you have any experience or know of folks who have had major

joint
replacement and how they got along with wading, hiking and the other such
physical activities associated with fishing?

My Dad has good friend (Wes) in his middle 80's that had both hips and a
knee replaced over the
last 5 years. I saw Wes a couple days after his last hip replacement and he
was up and around walking, (he wasn't skipping around, however I figured he
would be flat on his back) I was amazed considering what actually takes
place with this type of surgery.
He gets around pretty good, tends bar twice a week at the local watering
hole and shoots a mean game of pool. He's an ornery old coot!

Best of luck with your hip,
Jeff

Old October 2nd, 2003, 09:16 PM
Jim Ray

[...]

Wayne:

I have a good friend that has had both hips replaced at the ripe old age of
about 45. For some reason, the doc gave him handicapped tags for his car
(5yr expiration). They sure do help him get a parking place right by the
tennis courts for his matches 2 or 3 times a week! And he plays SERIOUS
tennis.

Good luck,

Jim Ray