Do You Have Yours Yet?

Old October 3rd, 2003, 11:42 PM
George Cleveland

Default Do You Have Yours Yet?

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 16:26:44 -0700, rw wrote:

George Cleveland wrote:

Well looking at the big picture is everything not one of a kind, from the cosmos
to the person, to the cells in the body of that person, to the molecules in the
same person, to those molecules constituent atoms, to the quarks and other sub
atomic particles that reside in that atom?

No. It's a peculiarity of quantum mechanics that every "elementary"
particle (of some particular class) is completely indistinguishable from
every other one. If you replace an electron in an atom, say, with
another electron, there is absolutely no way to tell the difference.

Cooool!

g.c.

Old October 3rd, 2003, 11:43 PM
Charlie Choc

wrote:

No. It's a peculiarity of quantum mechanics that every "elementary"
particle (of some particular class) is completely indistinguishable from
every other one. If you replace an electron in an atom, say, with
another electron, there is absolutely no way to tell the difference.

They would have different wave functions, though. The particles would
also have to have the same state to be 'indistinguishable'.
--
Charlie...
Old October 4th, 2003, 12:11 AM
Charlie Choc

wrote:

No. It's a peculiarity of quantum mechanics that every "elementary"
particle (of some particular class) is completely indistinguishable from
every other one. If you replace an electron in an atom, say, with
another electron, there is absolutely no way to tell the difference.

They would have different wave functions, though. The particles would
also have to have the same state to be 'indistinguishable'.

I knew you'd start nitpicking, Charlie. :-) I didn't really want to
write a treatise of quantum dynamics.

I'm sure you didn't. g
--
Charlie...
Old October 4th, 2003, 12:16 AM
daytripper

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 19:40:23 GMT, (George
Cleveland) wrote:

Things just get weirder and weirder here in cheeseland.

g.c.

We should hook this guy up with www.bassfanatic.com ;-)
Old October 4th, 2003, 12:24 AM
Wayne Harrison

"Charlie Choc" wrote

I knew you'd start nitpicking, Charlie. :-) I didn't really want to
write a treatise of quantum dynamics.

I'm sure you didn't. g
--
Charlie...

hilarious. and a masterpiece of understatement.

yfitons
wayno

Old October 4th, 2003, 12:58 AM
rw

wrote:

No. It's a peculiarity of quantum mechanics that every "elementary"
particle (of some particular class) is completely indistinguishable from
every other one. If you replace an electron in an atom, say, with
another electron, there is absolutely no way to tell the difference.

They would have different wave functions, though. The particles would
also have to have the same state to be 'indistinguishable'.

I knew you'd start nitpicking, Charlie. :-) I didn't really want to
write a treatise of quantum dynamics.

The point is that it makes no physical sense to assign individual
identities to electrons and protons and so on, in the same way that you
might name, say, dogs.

In other words, an electron isn't "one of a kind." Electrons are "all of
a kind."

Old October 4th, 2003, 01:26 AM
Wayne Harrison

"rw" wrote in message
. ..
Wayne Harrison wrote:

hilarious. and a masterpiece of understatement.

You wouldn't know a wave function if it shot right up your ass and came
out your nose. :-)

and, according to le duc du chocolat, neither would you. and i never
claimed to have such knowledge. and will never give a **** about having
same. smiley.\\

wayno

Old October 4th, 2003, 01:29 AM
Tim J.

"rw" wrote...
Wayne Harrison wrote:

hilarious. and a masterpiece of understatement.

You wouldn't know a wave function if it shot right up your ass and came
out your nose. :-)

DUDE! I was, like, doing the surf one time and, like, actually had a *gnarly*
wave shoot right up my ass and out my nose right as I sliced and diced. It was,
like, a TOTALLY COSMIC experience, dude.

Gotta run, dude. 'Spose to glass off at 5 with the off-shore blow. Later.
--
Ta,
Tim

Old October 4th, 2003, 01:39 AM