Walking, Wading, Wearing?

Old May 10th, 2008, 04:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default Walking, Wading, Wearing?

Hopefully I'll be able to hike into a few more waters this summer than has
been possible for me in the recent past.

Assuming I do, I have a question about current footwear. I absolutely
have to have good ankle support ( indeed I wear braces ) and some of the
places I hope to visit will require wading to fish well. So, what's out
there in the way of footwear that will double as a hiking boot and wet
wading boot? How would YOU avoid potential blister/etc problems of
walking back home in soggy socks?

When I was younger I just wore sneakers and suffered both on the hiking and
the wading, as they were poor for both ............. there must be a
smarter way

Old May 10th, 2008, 05:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Larry L wrote:
Hopefully I'll be able to hike into a few more waters this summer than has
been possible for me in the recent past.

Assuming I do, I have a question about current footwear. I absolutely
have to have good ankle support ( indeed I wear braces ) and some of the
places I hope to visit will require wading to fish well. So, what's out
there in the way of footwear that will double as a hiking boot and wet
wading boot? How would YOU avoid potential blister/etc problems of
walking back home in soggy socks?

When I was younger I just wore sneakers and suffered both on the hiking and
the wading, as they were poor for both ............. there must be a
smarter way

I like my Chota STL Plus for both hiking and wading. I've put
lots of miles on them hiking and they're fine for me. I wear
silk undersocks, SmartWool hiking socks, neoprene booties with
gravel guards and my size 10.5 foot in a size 11 Chota and I've
never had a blister hiking back to the car.

Best hiking/wading boots I've ever owned.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old May 10th, 2008, 06:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
notbob

On 2008-05-10, Larry L wrote:

Assuming I do, I have a question about current footwear. I absolutely
have to have good ankle support ( indeed I wear braces ) and some of the
places I hope to visit will require wading to fish well. So, what's out
there in the way of footwear that will double as a hiking boot and wet
wading boot? How would YOU avoid potential blister/etc problems of
walking back home in soggy socks?

There was a comprehensive comparison on wading boots in one of the FF mags last
month. Pros and cons and prices. I forget which one. Maybe someone else can
recall.

nb
Old May 10th, 2008, 06:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Halfordian Golfer

On May 10, 11:59 am, "Larry L" wrote:
Hopefully I'll be able to hike into a few more waters this summer than has
been possible for me in the recent past.

Assuming I do, I have a question about current footwear. I absolutely
have to have good ankle support ( indeed I wear braces ) and some of the
places I hope to visit will require wading to fish well. So, what's out
there in the way of footwear that will double as a hiking boot and wet
wading boot? How would YOU avoid potential blister/etc problems of
walking back home in soggy socks?

When I was younger I just wore sneakers and suffered both on the hiking and
the wading, as they were poor for both ............. there must be a
smarter way

Hi Larry,

I think it was in Schweibert's "Remembrances of Rivers Past" (though
could be way wrong) where he recommended keeping a dry pair of socks
in the pack but, if you get the first pair wet, just wring them out
and fish on. They'll absorb the water from the boot so, when you put
on the dry pair at the end of the day for the hike out, they'll keep
you from getting blisters. I always thought that to be excellent
advice. Wet skin and hiking boots is a recipe for blisters.

Your pal,

TBone
Old May 10th, 2008, 06:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote

I like my Chota STL Plus for both hiking and wading. I've put
lots of miles on them hiking and they're fine for me. I wear
silk undersocks, SmartWool hiking socks, neoprene booties with
gravel guards and my size 10.5 foot in a size 11 Chota and I've
never had a blister hiking back to the car.

Maybe the liner socks is really all I need. I have a new pair of SIMMS
wading boots that support my foot well ... I'm just a bit too dense to make
the leap to walking a few miles with no water in sight, in felt soles, but
it seems it works just fine, if maybe shortens sole life a lot ? ...

Old May 10th, 2008, 06:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Halfordian Golfer" wrote

Hi Larry,

I think it was in Schweibert's "Remembrances of Rivers Past" (though
could be way wrong) where he recommended keeping a dry pair of socks
in the pack but, if you get the first pair wet, just wring them out
and fish on. They'll absorb the water from the boot so, when you put
on the dry pair at the end of the day for the hike out, they'll keep
you from getting blisters. I always thought that to be excellent
advice. Wet skin and hiking boots is a recipe for blisters.

Ok, liner socks and a spare pair(s) .. both make sense .... I can do that.

Old May 10th, 2008, 08:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

notbob wrote:

There was a comprehensive comparison on wading boots in one of the FF mags last
month. Pros and cons and prices. I forget which one. Maybe someone else can
recall.

Reviews and comparisons in the FF rags are nigh on useless. You cannot
expect an honest and impartial review of a product on a page opposite
a full-page ad for the same product. Which is why we ask each other
for impartial opinions here on roff.

But good luck with that anonymous prick thing you've got going. You're
really getting it down pat.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old May 10th, 2008, 09:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
notbob

On 2008-05-10, Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Reviews and comparisons in the FF rags are nigh on useless. You cannot
expect an honest and impartial review of a product on a page opposite
a full-page ad for the same product. Which is why we ask each other
for impartial opinions here on roff.

But good luck with that anonymous prick thing you've got going. You're
really getting it down pat.

The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain.
Old May 10th, 2008, 10:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

notbob wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Reviews and comparisons in the FF rags are nigh on useless. You cannot
expect an honest and impartial review of a product on a page opposite
a full-page ad for the same product. Which is why we ask each other
for impartial opinions here on roff.

But good luck with that anonymous prick thing you've got going. You're
really getting it down pat.

The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain.

Keep up the good work.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old May 10th, 2008, 10:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Ken Fortenberry writes:

Keep up the good work.

eeny meeny miny moe