Fished outside of Boone

Old September 6th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Mark Bowen

Default Fished outside of Boone

I caught up with Jennifer and Frank about 8 AM this morn. It was nice to see Frank
again after so many years. It's amazing how well he looks and gets along at such an
advanced age--101 years I think he said. Hadn't seen Frank since the Spring Fling in
2000, when we first met. We reminisced, which didn't take to long, talked about my
job prospects for the future, ROFF, life in general, and where we might fish.

I chose to fish one of Uncle Wally's favorite stream, while Jennifer and Frank chose
to fish a stream that parallels Hwy 321 between Boone and Blowing Rock, or Bowling
Rock, if you go with Franks pronunciation? Weather was the deciding factor as to
where Jennifer and Frank would fish. I, on the other hand, wanted to fish wild trout
and didn't especially care to witness or be party to any on stream spankings. So I
headed out by my lonesome.

The hike into this stream about 20 or so minutes, and about half way in I notice that
someone is in the middle of the trail. Then I realize why they aren't moving in any
particular direction. THE SON OF A BITCH IS TAKIN' A **** RIGHT ON THE
TRAIL!!!!!!!!!!!

I hang back a ways behind some rhodos, waitin' for the asshole to complete his mornin'
constitutional. Just as he gets his britches up I emerge and walk on past him. He's
got two ****in' aluminum hikin' poles and the dumb**** can't even get off the trail to
do his business?

Anyway, I get to the trails end and begin castin'. Nothin' on the first 5 or so
casts, and I'm beginnin' to believe that not only do I think the para-Adams I tied
last night is butt ugly, but the fish have figured it out too. :~^( I made my way up
to a stretch of water where a monster broke me off the last time I fished this
stretch--Jennifer was there and can attest to the break-off last time. I was hopin'
to hook the same beggar, but the water was very murky due to heavy rains last night or
early this morn. I keep castin' where I know the old fat boy should be hangin', but
nothin'. Naturally, I hook a smallish brown, and then a tree branch. Oh well,
there's lots of stream ahead of me and the ****ter has headed far down the trail in
the other direction. No other fishers on the stream.

My para-Adams has become a sinker, after catchin' a few more browns in the 9 inch
range. I tie on a PMD. I fish it for about 15 minutes with no takers. I tie on a
GIANT # 12 elk hair caddis that I also tied last night. I miss a big strike and can't
get the fella to try again. The caddis has begun to come apart--did I mention it was
giant, ugly, and poorly tied?

I tie on a #14 quill bodied mosquito/Hendrickson lookin' thingy. I'm back on track
again. Catchin' and honorin' trout left and right. Then I do a left-side Reid! Damn
that waters cold and them rocks a tough on the old elbow. The rains begin in earnest
and decide to hook one more fish and hit the trail out. Luckily, I land a nice 13
inch brown--give or take a foot.

I get to the truck and the rain begins to come down in buckets.

Stopped by to see Jennifer and Frank on my way home, but I guess it was Frank's nappy
time again.

Night all.

Mark

Old September 7th, 2004, 12:10 AM
snakefiddler

"Mark Bowen" wrote in message
[...]

i remember it well

[...]

very nice trip report mark. i'm not surprised you did well, i have seen
for myself that you can fish the hell out of that water.
sorry about the guy takin a **** out there. jesus, you *would* think he
could have chosen a more discreet place to do it.

you couldn't be more right about the old boy's nap. we came back in about
12:30 - 12:45, and he went off for a nap, while i showered. so sorry we
missed you comin back, i would have loved to hear that trip report "in
person." it was good to see you this mornin, though.

frank hooked a pretty 8" brookie this mornin- got his revenge by skunking
me........

let's fish soon-
snake

Old September 7th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Mark Bowen

"snakefiddler" wrote in message

let's fish soon-
snake

Let's try to hit that stream I did today, sometime this week after work....4:00PMish

Mark

Old September 8th, 2004, 12:46 PM
asadi....

"Mark Bowen"

THE SON OF A BITCH IS TAKIN' A **** RIGHT ON THE
TRAIL!!!!!!!!!!!

It's crazy Mark, being formerly young, indestructible and bullet proof I
lacked the wherewithal to say anything. Now that I am of sound mind and
decrepit body - I find myself more than likely to say something. I'll
probably end up getting shot by some litter bug someday..

Doubt if I'll make the snowbird sled ride in October, but chances are I'll
be over around the Cradle of Forestry on the Davidson the first weekend of
October. Anyone have any tips or campground recommendations?

john

Old September 8th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Guyz-N-Flyz

"asadi...." wrote in message
link.net...
It's crazy Mark, being formerly young, indestructible and bullet proof I
lacked the wherewithal to say anything. Now that I am of sound mind and
decrepit body - I find myself more than likely to say something. I'll
probably end up getting shot by some litter bug someday..

Naw, litterbugs don't carry guns, just trash.

Doubt if I'll make the snowbird sled ride in October, but chances are I'll
be over around the Cradle of Forestry on the Davidson the first weekend of
October. Anyone have any tips or campground recommendations?

Sorry to hear you won't make it! Unfortunately, I have agreed to work a football game
the 1st weekend of Oct. (the electrical dept at ASU provides two people for each game,
for obvious reasons).

And I can't help ya with campin' accomodations either; however, Wayne Knight seems to
know that area fairly well. Maybe he will chime in?

Here are some sites of possible interest:

http://www.cradleofforestry.com/camp...th%20cfaia.htm

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/nfnc_fi...river_area.htm

http://camping.about.com/library/perfect/ucpcg722.htm

http://backcountryoutdoors.com/Lodging.html