Thoughts on Casting by Lefty Kreh

Old February 8th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Jeff Miller

Default Thoughts on Casting by Lefty Kreh

troutbum_mt wrote:

It was warm enough today that I didn't even wear a jacket. I was plenty
warm in fleece bibs, thermals and a sweatshirt combined with my
insulated Carhart bibs. Nice, warm day. So when can I come visit? ;-)

anytime you choose ... we can always find a comfortable place to fish.

jeff

Old February 9th, 2004, 03:07 AM
pw

says...
Wish I could Warren! One of these days!

I am going to hold you to that.

Please do!

I guess I'm just a lousy teacher :-)

That very well could be. There is also the possibility that they are
perhaps just bad students so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. g

Bad listeners. Gets worse every year, every generation.

been working off and on over there during the last couple of
weeks, mostly around Carter's and Pine Creek.

What have you been doing? I am about 10 minutes south of there. I
will be home on Monday but off to Salt Lake for the rest of the week
on Tuesday. I think I've e-mailed you my phone number (and e-mail
address).

Perfect day to go fishing (no wind again, overcast, the Yellowstone
looked great), but I was homebound today.

There were a couple of
really nice days where I wished I could have gone fishing. I went down
to Carter's after work one day just to check the river out and watched
as fish rose along the ice shelves to something I couldn't safely get
close enough to identify, probably midges. I must have sat there for
half an hour just watching the fish rise and wished I had my gear with
me. You can't see the fish rising, but this is where they we

http://home.earthlink.net/~troutbum_mt/carters1.jpg

The view upriver:
http://home.earthlink.net/~troutbum_mt/carters2.jpg

Probably whities :-) Nah, there are a bunch of trout there but most
seem to be downstream at the tail above that island, and along the
bank. But not sure about this time of the year.

A guy could get used to living over there if it weren't for the wind.
;-)

What wind? g

Currently we are working in Big Sky and get to drive along the Gallatin
every day. The water is looking pretty good but had some slush in it
today. I really like that drive in the winter and have been seeing
quite a bit of wildlife. Bighorn sheep, elk and two moose that have
been hanging around the same area for the last three days. As we left
work today, a cow elk was walking along the edge of the job site. I
haven't seen anyone fishing during the drive so I plan on trying this
weekend if the weather cooperates. If it weren't for the road being so
close to the river over much of its length, the Gallatin in the Canyon
very well could be one of my favorite local rivers because of the decent
fishing and stunning scenery. The views definitely don't suck. ;-)

http://home.earthlink.net/~troutbum_mt/bigsky1.jpg

I agree. I like the Gibbon in the park a bunch too but it's right
along the road for the most part.

Hopefully I can get some good river and scenery pics on Sunday.

I'll be on the look out!

-paul

Old February 9th, 2004, 05:56 AM
troutbum_mt

says...
Please do!

Consider it done.

Bad listeners. Gets worse every year, every generation.

What? bseg

What have you been doing? I am about 10 minutes south of there. I
will be home on Monday but off to Salt Lake for the rest of the week
on Tuesday. I think I've e-mailed you my phone number (and e-mail
address).

I have been doing construction work, specifically insulation. I will be
working all week and have my daughter next weekend. Basically two weeks
until I will have a chance to fish again unless I leave work early one
day. I don't recall getting an email with your ph#. Email me at
troutbum_mt at yahoo dot com. I'll give you a holler next time we do
some work over in that area and maybe we can arrange a couple of hours
of fishing.

Perfect day to go fishing (no wind again, overcast, the Yellowstone
looked great), but I was homebound today.

It was "breezy" here at times and snowed off and on. It was cold enough
in the canyon that I was picking ice out of my guides on a regular
basis. Small price to pay for a few fish at this time of year. :-)

Probably whities :-) Nah, there are a bunch of trout there but most
seem to be downstream at the tail above that island, and along the
bank. But not sure about this time of the year.

Catching "Rocky Mountain Bones," as Bruiser likes to call them, on a dry
fly is fun though. Much harder to do than with trout so it is good
practice IMO. Right now I wouldn't bitch about catching any type of
fish. Catching just a couple of small rainbows today was a blast.

What wind? g

And who says that denial is a bad thing?!?!

I agree. I like the Gibbon in the park a bunch too but it's right
along the road for the most part.

It was kind of funny today in some respects. Several vehicles honked
and waved as I was fishing. I don't understand what would possess
someone to honk and wave to a guy freezing his ass off in the middle of
a river while trying to catch a few fish, but I waved back. A trucker
honked the big horn and waved, the snow plow drivers waved as I was
rigging up, a truckload of possibly drunk snowmobilers honk, waved,
rolled down their windows and yelled congratulations out the window as I
was fighting a fish. Even though it was odd, it was actually kind of
nice.

I'll be on the look out!

Unfortunately there aren't any pics. Well, other than the test pic I
took when I got home of my new "window" and the snow that collected on
the car. I guess I will just have to go back just so I can take some
pics. What a bummer. . . ;-)
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
Old February 10th, 2004, 06:46 AM
pw

day. I don't recall getting an email with your ph#. Email me at
troutbum_mt at yahoo dot com. I'll give you a holler next time we do
some work over in that area and maybe we can arrange a couple of hours
of fishing.

Check your e-mail when you get a chance

-paul