Bank Fishing

Old July 27th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Scootack Scootack is offline
Junior Member

Question Bank Fishing

I am new to this site, and absolutely new to bank fishing. My entire fishing experience has been dry flies for trout and spinning gear for river small mouthbass. I am now restricted (med disability) to sitting on the bank, mostly at PA state park lakes. What kind of gear, bait, and rigs do I need?
Old August 5th, 2011, 02:33 PM posted to alt.fishing
Pepperoni

Default Bank Fishing

--
Scootack

A lot depends on the places you can fish. Try the spinning gear with
minnows under a bobber. I like places where the water drops off from
5-15 feet. I try to fish the deep side of the drop-off and let the
minnow do all the work. Bass, crappie, walleye and perch will take
minnows. If you have a good spot, a change to leeches is a lot of
fun. If you can fish from bridges or below dams, you can try jig &
minnows, which can be quite effective and lots of fun.

For heavier fishing, I use 20 pound Spiderwire. The good thing about
the superlines is the ability to cut weeds. One good carp will run
hard enough to clip the weeds from a wide area, and the next good wind
will clear them out. That overgown spot quickly becomes open water.
Corn is my favorite carp bait, but the big guys prefer meat. I use
beef hot dogs sliced about 1/4 inch thick. I use a heavy short shank
hook (Gamikatsu HD Bait hook)

I guess you've noticed the lack of action here in the group. Your
best resource will be talking to local anglers about baits and places.