What can I catch in the Murray?

Old September 18th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Ken Oaf

Default What can I catch in the Murray?

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 07:47:22 GMT, "Mil80C" wrote:

Isn't it illegal to return any carp - alive or dead - to the water?

This is correct.

You can't even dump them within a certain distance of the water.

OK, if you believe this to be so, can you please quote your reference so
that we all know the facts, The NSW Dept of Primary Industries indicated
that LIVE carp can not be used as bait, leading one to believe that DEAD
carp can and also that DEAD carp can be placed back in the river to feed the
shrimp and yabbies.

I was told this about 15 years ago by a NSW fisheries officer just prior to the
commencement of an ANSA fishing tournament on Burrinjuck Dam.

Old September 19th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Mil80C

wrote:

Isn't it illegal to return any carp - alive or dead - to the water?

This is correct.

You can't even dump them within a certain distance of the water.

OK, if you believe this to be so, can you please quote your reference so
that we all know the facts, The NSW Dept of Primary Industries

indicated
that LIVE carp can not be used as bait, leading one to believe that DEAD
carp can and also that DEAD carp can be placed back in the river to feed

the
shrimp and yabbies.

I was told this about 15 years ago by a NSW fisheries officer just prior

to the
commencement of an ANSA fishing tournament on Burrinjuck Dam.

Well Ken, I can only suggest that he was either giving you information which
was correct then but not now or that he was pulling your leg. Suggest you
seek up to date information.

Old September 20th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Old Joe

Mil80C wrote:

Well Ken, I can only suggest that he was either giving you information which
was correct then but not now or that he was pulling your leg. Suggest you
seek up to date information.

So on the off-chance that I do pull one of these vermin from the water
what action should I take?
Old September 20th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Mil80C

"Old Joe" wrote in message
Mil80C wrote:

Well Ken, I can only suggest that he was either giving you information

which
was correct then but not now or that he was pulling your leg. Suggest

you
seek up to date information.

So on the off-chance that I do pull one of these vermin from the water
what action should I take?

My suggestion would be that you should ask the Parks and Wildlife or other
relevant authority for the current rules. And if there are no rules once
the pest is dead then I believe it should be returned to the river to feed
the shrimp etc.

Old October 21st, 2004, 06:12 PM
ASIS

YOU SAID MATE IF YOU GET CAUGHT U GET A STIFF FINE IF THE INTENTIONS ARE
GOOD..

our club caught a massive 35kg carp at lake eppalock some time ago.. it
fought well as it treid to take the rod with it back to middle of
lake..lucky we had a boat standing by and were able to retrieve the gear
with the fish still hooked on the end of it..

nice catch tho..

it was fun

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Old Joe" wrote in message
Mil80C wrote:

If nothing else, you can have some good
sport on light tackle trying to get some of the European Carp onto the

bank,
they then make great yabbie pot bait or should be simply killed and put

back
in to feed the yabbies and shrimp.

Isn't it illegal to return any carp - alive or dead - to the water?

Old October 21st, 2004, 06:17 PM
ASIS

Ive been under the imprssion that carp should not be returned to the water
in either state dead or alive and also be some distance away from the
bank... but all this info should be on the vrfish' website or similar

all in all carp is a menace and we should all try and reduce its population
where possible in humane way as well..

i dont mind a weekend of carp fishing now n then..

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com