Casting Disaster

Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:22 PM
Svend Tang-Petersen

Default Casting Disaster

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

New fly rod....big trouble. Tried casting while actually standing in a
stream last night. Two books said that x amount of line should be
laying in front of me before the pickup. This worked fine when
practicing on the lawn. They do not explain what to do when the
water's moving swiftly from left to right, taking the pile of line
with it, and you want to fly to end up to the left. I managed
something creative, but the leader & tippet were not exactly landing
gracefully - more of a bunch than a nice presentation. Help.

Many folks develop the nasty habit in this situation of roll-casting to

put
the line out in front of them so that they can pick up for a backcast in
the right direction. It works, but I'm told its not desirable.

Pick up the line however you can, and adjust the direction later

Scott

Like....working it around while it's airborne until it's oriented correctly?
In other words, if the line's headed downstream to the right, the pickup's
going to head pretty much to the left initially, unless I keep it airborne
for a few cycles to get it behind me.

Single handed double spey or snake roll to the left (unless the wind is from
the downstream side).

Just ask Peter.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:24 PM
Svend Tang-Petersen

Svend Tang-Petersen wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

I see I got beaten one that one by someone else. I guess thats what happens when
you take a week
off to go fishing.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:33 PM
Wolfgang

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...

Alas, Penns is off the table this season.

Bad news.

My wife's been having a rough year,

More bad news!

and I shouldn't be leaving her along on her birthday yet again.

Well......um......maybe she'd like to take up fly fishing. THAT would be a
lovely birthday present! And in pleasant company!

The good news is that after staying home one year, I should be good to go
for the next four or five.

Doesn't work that way.......some kind of natural law or something at work.

Wolfgang
flip flops for ANOTHER fukkin year!

Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:45 PM
Wolfgang

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

....I don't think anyone really understands how
difficult this has been for me.

Well, maybe.......um.......uh.......well, ****.

Wolfgang
joel?......george?......anybody?

Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:57 PM
George Cleveland

On Mon, 3 May 2004 16:45:12 -0500, "Wolfgang"
wrote:

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

....I don't think anyone really understands how
difficult this has been for me.

Well, maybe.......um.......uh.......well, ****.

Wolfgang
joel?......george?......anybody?

There there. There there.

g.c.

Who is too busy feeling sorry for himself (back to work tomorrow) to
spare much more than that.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:02 PM
Wolfgang

wrote:

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

....I don't think anyone really understands how
difficult this has been for me.

Well, maybe.......um.......uh.......well, ****.

Wolfgang
joel?......george?......anybody?

There there. There there.

g.c.

Who is too busy feeling sorry for himself (back to work tomorrow) to
spare much more than that.

Self-centered *******.

Wolfgang
who is thinking about the bible camp on the tomorrow, sunday. joel's in.
whattya say?

Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:22 PM
George Cleveland

On Mon, 3 May 2004 17:02:00 -0500, "Wolfgang"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

....I don't think anyone really understands how
difficult this has been for me.

Well, maybe.......um.......uh.......well, ****.

Wolfgang
joel?......george?......anybody?

There there. There there.

g.c.

Who is too busy feeling sorry for himself (back to work tomorrow) to
spare much more than that.

Self-centered *******.

Wolfgang
who is thinking about the bible camp on the tomorrow, sunday. joel's in.
whattya say?

Work.

Don't have a weekend off til the 22nd. Thats the weekend for the
Wisconsin board's spring pond mini-clave.( Anyone interested in
learning how to fish ultra clear ponds for brookies? Plus there is an
all out assault planned on a local lake that the DNR is trying to rid
of bass in order to give the self sustaining brook trout population
[an unusual thing in the stillwaters in this state] a hand up. It will
be the first clave I've been to that plans on having a fish fry whose
ingredients will be the actual fruits of the claver's efforts.)

g.c.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:45 PM
Jeff Miller

Doug Kanter wrote:

It's been my turn in the barrel for a couple of weeks, ever since he
realized that some peoples' children can tie their shoes without help. I
think there's a bit of envy going on here.

oh jeez... willi made an interesting point about perspectives or
perceptions regarding carp. i have a vastly different perception of
wolfgang than do you, willi, or rw; and, i also view willi and rw in
much more pleasant and admirable ways than does wolfgang. my judgment is
based on personal experience and observation. there's no accounting for
tastes... each to his own. but, of one thing i'm reasonably sure -
there ain't a bit of envy going on here. you only flatter yourself by
such a naive statement...

play on...

jeff

Old May 4th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Wolfgang

wrote:

...thinking about the bible camp on the tomorrow, sunday. joel's in.
whattya say?

Work.

Drat the luck!

Don't have a weekend off til the 22nd. Thats the weekend for the
Wisconsin board's spring pond mini-clave.( Anyone interested in
learning how to fish ultra clear ponds for brookies? Plus there is an
all out assault planned on a local lake that the DNR is trying to rid
of bass in order to give the self sustaining brook trout population
[an unusual thing in the stillwaters in this state] a hand up. It will
be the first clave I've been to that plans on having a fish fry whose
ingredients will be the actual fruits of the claver's efforts.)

Hm......if the calendar on the wall is to be believed, I'll be somewhere
betwixt central Pennsylvania and Milwaukee on the 22th.......drat the luck!

If anyone comes up with a really good bass recipe, I'll trade "humus,
chicken stock, left over Italian sausage, left over bratwurst, chick pea,
tomato, posole, carrots, and stuff soup" for it.

Wolfgang
work? what's up with that ****?

Old May 4th, 2004, 01:32 AM
Willi and Sue

Jeff Miller wrote:

oh jeez... willi made an interesting point about perspectives or
perceptions regarding carp. i have a vastly different perception of
wolfgang than do you, willi,

Yeah, but those perceptions are based on "real life" interactions. If
you've never met the person, all you have to judge is their online
behavior.

Although I never really hung with Wolfgang very much, I found him to be
a pleasant enough guy IN PERSON. It's his online behavior that bothers
me and that's what we see here. Maybe it goes back to my background in
working with handicapped kids but I find his propensity for demeaningly
labelling people as stupid or fools offensive.

Willi