bluegill question

Old August 14th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Searlian67

Default bluegill question

Are bluegills good to eat? I've always caught & released them.
Old August 14th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Jon Splane

dude wrote:

I'm a little new to fishing and had a quick question...

Me and some friends were fishing for bluegill the other week and we were
getting a lot of them. However, the bigger ones had a streak of yellow under
their mouths that extended about an inch or two toward their bellies.

Is this bad or is that normal?

Thanks....

The yellow/orange color is normal in the larger males. It gets intense
when they are on the spawning beds. Some of the other species of
sunfish have this color also. Locally (Oregon) we have Pumpkinseeds and
Shellcrackers (AKA Red Ears) that show this color and are easily
confused with bluegills. Pumkinseeds have a red blotch on the gill
flap; the black flap that extends out from the gill cover. Shell
Crackers have a thin red border to the gill flap.

Jon

Old August 14th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Pepperoni

They are great to eat. The small ones aren't worth cleaning, but over 10
inches--- just fillet them. Firm white meat. I much prefer bluegill to
crappie meat.

Old August 14th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Jon Splane

Searlian67 wrote:

Are bluegills good to eat? I've always caught & released them.

What planet did you say you were from? Seriously they are wonderful
table fare.

Jon
Old August 15th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Searlian67

Are bluegills good to eat? I've always caught & released them.

What planet did you say you were from? Seriously they are wonderful
table fare.

I've enjoyed catching them for ages, but I'd never heard, till now, that they
were good to eat. Well, it's better to learn this late than never!