PseudoTR: Africa Roadtrip

Old January 9th, 2005, 09:38 PM
riverman

Default PseudoTR: Africa Roadtrip

I'll try to get a Life In Congo story out of it, but in a nutshell, I just
got home from a 2 week roadtrip through Zimbabwe, Zambia and Botswana. The
highlights:

-Incredibly welcoming and hospitable people in Zim, of all colors. The white
farmers truly have a raw deal, but there seems to be another side to the
story that has some small amount of merit. Never ever met such accommodating
and helpful folks, living in fear of their own government.

-Saw 18 lions munching an antelope quite up close and personal. Never will
forget that meaty 'crunching' noise just four feet away...

-Saw a few dozen hippos right outside my tentsite in Mana Pools, as well as
a rogue Elephant wander right past my tent window. Heard a splash in the
night, and the next morning saw a few dozen Nile gators chawing down a Cape
Buffalo.

-Got attacked by a swarm of African Killer bees (no ****) and got stung
about 15 times before I could get inside the Landrover. *******s.

-Got to fish the Zambezi for Tigerfish for several days. Not such a simple
thing on a fly rod, and I am sorry to report no strikes, no hits. I feel
like I let you all down.

-Victoria Falls is stupendous, but too commercial.

-No ****, there I was. About 50 miles away from the nearest town, the broken
brake caliper laying in the dirt under the car and all the brake fluid
****ing out all over the ground, a flat tire with one flat spare and another
spare that did not fit, a jack that would not work, and all the lug nuts
several miles away at camp. And no beer.

--riverman

Old January 9th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Tim J.

riverman wrote:
[...]

So just another one of your average trips then, eh? ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

Old January 9th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Peter Charles

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 16:16:27 -0500, "Tim J."
wrote:

riverman wrote:
[...]

Sounds like eh? I mean, this one was almost a let down -- what with
no AK47s and such . . .

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html
Old January 9th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Wayne Harrison

"riverman" wrote
(snip)
the next morning saw a few dozen Nile gators chawing down a Cape
Buffalo.

i thought they were crocs...

yfitons
wayno

Old January 10th, 2005, 01:03 AM
Padishar Creel

"riverman" shared his experience with us ashe got to fish the Zambezi for
Tigerfish for several days. Not such a simple thing on a fly rod, and I am
sorry to report no strikes, no hits. I feel like I let you all down.
------------
I, for one, love your posts and stories. NEVER disappointing, please
keep'em coming. Besides, Riverman, we be a fishin' group not a catch' group
anyway GRIN

By the way, what do you do with the tigerfish when you get near you, anyway?

Chris

Old January 10th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Guyz-N-Flyz

"Padishar Creel" wrote in message
"riverman" shared his experience with us ashe got to fish the Zambezi for
Tigerfish for several days. Not such a simple thing on a fly rod, and I am
sorry to report no strikes, no hits. I feel like I let you all down.
------------
I, for one, love your posts and stories. NEVER disappointing, please
keep'em coming. Besides, Riverman, we be a fishin' group not a catch' group
anyway GRIN

By the way, what do you do with the tigerfish when you get near you, anyway?

Chris

I've always wore a Halloween mask on the back of my head, cause they are known to
attack from behind.

Mark

Old January 10th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Wayne Knight

"riverman" wrote in message

And no beer.

Not a trip for the timid.

Old January 10th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Tim J.

Guyz-N-Flyz wrote:
"Padishar Creel" wrote in message
"riverman" shared his experience with us ashe got to fish the
Zambezi for Tigerfish for several days. Not such a simple thing on
a fly rod, and I am sorry to report no strikes, no hits. I feel like
I let you all down. ------------
I, for one, love your posts and stories. NEVER disappointing, please
keep'em coming. Besides, Riverman, we be a fishin' group not a
catch' group anyway GRIN

By the way, what do you do with the tigerfish when you get near you,
anyway? Chris

I've always wore a Halloween mask on the back of my head, cause they
are known to attack from behind.

You could probably dispense with the mask. . . (well, *someone* had to
say it, dammit!)
--
TL,
Tim

Old January 10th, 2005, 04:27 AM
Bob Patton

"riverman" wrote in message
[...]

Are you sure you didn't just pass out drinking the local brew and dream
about a ROFF thread?
Bob

Old January 10th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Guyz-N-Flyz

"Tim J." wrote in message

You could probably dispense with the mask. . . (well, *someone* had to say it,
dammit!)
--
TL,
Tim

A .17 cal. shot in the dark!

Mark --momma say I'm the most handsome Neanderthal she's ever produced.--