Question for Secret Weapon Guys

Old February 10th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Bob La Londe

Default Question for Secret Weapon Guys

How about that new lower snag snap system?

The ones I got this last time looked the same as the ones I already had. I
think it was Joe who said the snap system was being slightly redesigned to
reduce line tangle. When is that coming out?

Also, ask Joe if he lost a mask and glove when he was out here. I found
them tucked under the console of my boat a while back, and I just figured
they were Lannes, but he says they are not.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old February 10th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
How about that new lower snag snap system?

The ones I got this last time looked the same as the ones I already had.

think it was Joe who said the snap system was being slightly redesigned to
reduce line tangle. When is that coming out?

****Bob, here's the scoop on Secret Weapon spinnerbaits. I think he was
referring to the new 360-degree loop at the top of the frame. That wire
shape is superior to the "D" loop, and changing that shape has made the bait
much less prone to the blade attachment being misaligned on retrieves.

He may also have been referring to the angle of the wire "J" clasp. By
changing the bend so that it is now 90 degrees to the shaft (instead of a
90-degree wire bend), the open end is no longer pointing forward and should
pick up fewer weeds.

These are the models in production now.

Also, ask Joe if he lost a mask and glove when he was out here. I found
them tucked under the console of my boat a while back, and I just figured
they were Lannes, but he says they are not.

****They're not Joe's either. I know that he's been VERY busy lately, so I
gave him a holler.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old February 11th, 2004, 03:43 AM
Bob Rickard

If I may jump in here, Steve is correct in all his information. I am not at
all clear what the "new lower snag snap system" is exactly, but I do know
that the connecting snap on the blade attachments is not, and will not be
under consideration for any modifications of any kind. No snap configuration
is stronger or less prone to errant opening, and I am not aware of any
snagging problems by the snap itself being reported.

BTW, Steve himself was a huge help in my coming up with that snap design. He
reported that the original design blade attachments were subject to opening
while battling large muskie & pike. I sent him prototype fixes, he tested
them promptly and reported back with his opinions and ideas, and eventually
we had what is in use today. As was demonstrated on the website, the blade
attachments handled everything that huge Florida alligator could give them,
and then went on to catch more bass after. As is now said, the 'Weapons are
Gator Tough!
--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

[...]

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

Old February 11th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Bob La Londe

"Bob Rickard" wrote in message
om...
If I may jump in here, Steve is correct in all his information. I am not

at
all clear what the "new lower snag snap system" is exactly,

I have noticed that all the extra hardware of a the SW spinner baits has a
tendency to tangle line. Super lines tangle more than mono, but mono has
the problem too. On a windy day this happens more often. I have commented
on it to Joe on more than one occassion.

Since I like the bait in some ways very much I have continued to fish with
it, and just resigned myself to stopping periodically to untangle the line
from the bait.

I have also given away many of your baits to other anglers. Dave Willhide
(local region ABA director) and SW Pro Staff was one of the first. I also
have given them to Lannes Brock of Sportsmen's Hide-A-Way now a SW dealer,
and to Mac McDermot the director for Desert Bass. I've also given a couple
to my ABA partner Hammer and a few other guys I have fished with in Yuma
Bassmasters.

I told Dave about my experience with line tangling in the snaps and
hardware.

I did not mention it to Mac or Lannes. When I asked them how they liked the
bait they both commented on its tendency to get line tangled in the
hardware. Mac went so far as to say it happens worse on a windy day, and
thats a bad thing because he is more likely to be throwing it on a windy
day.

When Joe was visiting in Az I passed this on to him, and he said that he
thought the "new design" would reduce this problem.

but I do know
that the connecting snap on the blade attachments is not, and will not be
under consideration for any modifications of any kind. No snap

configuration
is stronger or less prone to errant opening, and I am not aware of any
snagging problems by the snap itself being reported.

You haven't noticed that line gets tangled in the snap much more so than
line gets tangled in a straight arm spinner bait? Three experienced pro
anglers I have asked have commented on it. So have I and my ABA partner
Hammer. I can't believe that you have not noticed a higher degree of line
tangling in the hardware than with other spinner baits. It also tends to ge
inside the snap. Soemtimes its difficult to get the line out of the snap
with out opening.

One other thing I have heard that you might want to consider. "I want to be
able to fish a bait right out of the package." I have heard that from
several pro anglers including one of your prostaff. SWs are certainly
fishable out of the package, but the psychology of the fact that its
designed to be an easily changable bait may be a sales related issue.

Old February 11th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message SNIP

I have noticed that all the extra hardware of a the SW spinner baits has a
tendency to tangle line. Super lines tangle more than mono, but mono has
the problem too. On a windy day this happens more often. I have

commented
on it to Joe on more than one occassion.

***I will admit that Secret Weapons will tangle a bit more than a
conventional spinnerbait. But I've found several things about them too over
the years. First of all, I'll put up with the tangles in order to catch
more fish. Plus, I've found that when I become sloppy with my casts, when
the bait starts tumbling in the air, I get tangled. If I pay attention to
what I'm doing, cast with proper form and technique, no tangles.

Since I like the bait in some ways very much I have continued to fish with
it, and just resigned myself to stopping periodically to untangle the line
from the bait.

***That is going to be somewhat the nature of the beast. If you really want
to have the quick change ability to match your lure to the changing
conditions, if you want your lure to have a unique signature in the water,
then the occasional tangle is going to happen. But like I said, work on
smoothness of your casts, and keep a light tension on the spool, so that the
lure doesn't tumble, and the amount of tangles will be greatly reduced.

The new design also helps reduce this problem.
SNIP

You haven't noticed that line gets tangled in the snap much more so than
line gets tangled in a straight arm spinner bait? Three experienced pro
anglers I have asked have commented on it. So have I and my ABA partner
Hammer. I can't believe that you have not noticed a higher degree of line
tangling in the hardware than with other spinner baits. It also tends to

ge
inside the snap. Soemtimes its difficult to get the line out of the snap
with out opening.

***Yeah sure, that does happen, but I'll still stand by my statement, "A lot
can be eliminated with casting technique."

One other thing I have heard that you might want to consider. "I want to

be
able to fish a bait right out of the package." I have heard that from
several pro anglers including one of your prostaff. SWs are certainly
fishable out of the package, but the psychology of the fact that its
designed to be an easily changable bait may be a sales related issue.

***?????? There's no reason why a Secret Weapon cannot be fished right out
of the package. Please tell me why someone would think that! Other than
the fact that someone wouldn't want to be bothered to decide what
blade/skirt combination would work best for the current conditions. To me,
the whole concept of the Secret Weapon spinnerbait is the fact that here is
a lure that is effective right out of the package, yet readily
"customizable" with no effort. What's not to like about that?

Old February 11th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Justin Hires

[...]

Bob not to say that you're not correct: But I fished S.W.'s all last
year about
80% of the time in all conditions. Throwing into the wind of 30mph,
overhand, sidearm, pitching. And I can honestly say I remember only 1
time the line wraped
into the hardwear. And that was only because I made a bad cast, double
pumping the rod before the cast. Which I have done the same thing with
crankbaits and buzz baits that tangled into the line. Are you using
the newer design? How about your casting? This is not to put you down!
I just know
as much as I fish them, this has never been a problem for me!

-Justin
Old February 12th, 2004, 12:21 AM
go-bassn

Smooth casts are the cure to the problem Bob. I acknowledge it does exist,
but can be eliminated 99% by a firm, straight cast.

Warren