John Day River Smallmouth Clave?

Old January 5th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Padishar Creel

Default John Day River Smallmouth Clave?

Just putting my toe in the water, but would there be any interest in a John
Day River, Oregon smallmouth float trip clave thingee? (I believe we can
rent rafts/pontoon boats for such an event, but I will need to check, IF
there is any interest, this is a calm float thing with very few rapids, so
canoes work well too) A few of us Oregonian types may be pursuaded to act
as Clavemeisters for such an experience.

Here is a taken from a website about the fishery: Beginning in the Blue
Mountains and flowing north to the Columbia, the John Day is the second
longest free-flowing stream in the U.S, and is protected as a "Wild and
Scenic" river under the Oregon Scenic Waterways Act. In 1971, Seventy-five
Smallmouth Bass were introduced to the river. Since then, they have
flourished! The John Day River is arguably the best Smallmouth Bass water in
the country. The season is at its peak from late May to early August; it's
quite common for anglers to hook 75+ fish per rod per day. Fish average from
8"-12", with larger fish in the 18"-20" range.

Chris

Old January 5th, 2005, 03:32 AM
rw

Padishar Creel wrote:
[...]

I might be interested, depending on the dates. I have a pretty full
plate of fishing for this year.

I've read that the smallmouth fishing on the John Day Rover is something
special.

Old January 5th, 2005, 03:59 AM
B J Conner

Our club has an outing there every year. I have not been with them as yet
because of one damm thing or another. Here's the website.
http://www.geocities.com/flyhacklers/
They just changed the website and the old monthly news letters are not on it
any more. I am sure if you contact them they send you the news letters with
the reports. I'm sure you can get on the mailing list weather you join or
not. IT's a pretty informal group. We have had some very nteresting
speakers, some definately worth a drive across the river. I amm sure they
will put you on to the people who lined up the trip and know every thing
about it. It has always been reported as great fun with lots of fish and a
good time being had by all.
I plan on doing it this year but then again I planned on it last year and
the year before. you know how it is? work the curse of the fishing class.
If I remember correctly last year the water was low and several people
floated it on pontoon boats.

Old January 5th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Chas Wade

"Padishar Creel" wrote:
Just putting my toe in the water, but would there be any interest in a
John
Day River, Oregon smallmouth float trip clave thingee?

I'm interested Chris. It will be new to me, but I'd like to give it a
try.

Thanks

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Old January 5th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Padishar Creel

"Chas Wade" I'm interested Chris. It will be new to me, but I'd like to
give it a try.
----------
That is one of the things I enjoy about you Chas, you get out there and try
new fisheries. I grew up in this area (Wasco, Oregon from 7 years of age
until the service) and I am pretty familiar with the local conditions.

Chris

Old January 6th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Jeff Marso

Chas Wade wrote in news:gDMCd.75262
$k25.63849@attbi_s53:

"Padishar Creel" wrote:
Just putting my toe in the water, but would there be any interest in a
John
Day River, Oregon smallmouth float trip clave thingee?

I'm interested Chris. It will be new to me, but I'd like to give it a
try.

Thanks

Chas

Yah, could be. When? I've only ever looked (not even fished) at the John
Day at Clarno so I don't have any inside knowledge but given the right
dates I'd be interested and could possibly help with logistics. It's
beautiful out there....
Old January 6th, 2005, 06:45 PM
JR

Padishar Creel wrote:
Just putting my toe in the water, but would there be any interest in a John
Day River, Oregon smallmouth float trip clave thingee?

I'd be interested in a short (1-2 day) JD smallmouth clave sometime
before the summer steelhead season reaches full swing (in June, say).

JR

Old January 6th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Padishar Creel

"JR" wrote in message
Padishar Creel wrote:
Just putting my toe in the water, but would there be any interest in a

John
Day River, Oregon smallmouth float trip clave thingee?

I'd be interested in a short (1-2 day) JD smallmouth clave sometime
before the summer steelhead season reaches full swing (in June, say).

---------
That would be tough based upon my research. It looks like three days
between takeout points if I read the literature correctly. Surely, you can
get an extra day? I hope!

http://www.or.blm.gov/Prineville/Joh...ation-Boating%
209-23-04.pdf

Chris