Tying flies

Old September 20th, 2003, 04:28 AM
tony

Default Tying flies

how true, i only fish with my own tied flies and catching a fish on my own
design is a real thrill although i am still a long way from catching fish
each trip im a glutton for punishment and persist
cos one day ill come up with that killer fly;-)
cheers
tony
"John Lindsey" wrote in message
Ed you probably got more info than you planned on!

Without repeating earlier threads, two more points come to mind.
1. It's more fun to catch any fish on the fly you tied yourself vs. a drug
store bought fly tied by some faceless/nameless person in a foreign

country.
2. It's even more fun to catch any fish on a fly you designed yourself.

If you take these two points building on the other posts and your common
sense you'll probably conclude that tying your own will significantly
increase your enjoyment of the sport.

Good luck!
John

"egildone1" wrote in message
I am thinking of starting to get into tying my own flies. I have found

website that sells flies for $0.65. I wonder if it is worth it to

invest
in
the fly tying equipment when I can get them so cheap? How long does it

take
to tie a fly after you get some experience under your belt? I would

think
even the simplest flies would take 20 min. or so. I imagine most who

tie
their own flies do it for the satisfaction of creating something of

beauty
and disregard the economics of tying your own.

Thanks in advance for the answers to my questions

Ed

Old September 20th, 2003, 07:49 AM
Hooked

Best to leave the roadkill where it was and avoid the situation of
introducing all those bugs to your materials in the first place.

"Tim J." wrote in message

Good advice for all. I don't even store "roadkill" in the same container
regardless of precautions.
--
TL,
Tim

Old September 20th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Tim Carter

"Tim J." wrote in message

"Scott Seidman" wrote...
"Tim Carter" wrote:

And if my post didn't clearly mention, I've been stoked about tying my
own flies!!

Your flies for the roff swap arrived and no one would ever guess you're a
novice. Very nice!

Thanks Tim. I suppose like anyone, I'd be curious to hear how well they
stand up and how well they do on the water. I've yet to fish
them...jeezzz...I haven't been out for ... 2 ..months now?!?!

Another thing that I forgot to mention was getting tying
materials from other sources than fly tying shops. My Meow Mix nymphs
are dirt cheap thanks to the contributions my cats make, and my Border
Collie mix has a ton of colors to contribute to my flies. Also, early
waterfowl season just ended and now I have a good supply of feathers
from a few blue-winged teal and Canada geese, as well as a pheasant
hunting friend of mine getting me a supply of those feathers, and I
hope to be receiving a few raccoon and squirrel hides in the next few
weeks from another friend...

Be careful about introducing critters into your expensive materials,

like
hackle. Put the stuff through a freeze/microwave/freeze cycle, store
everything in individual plastic ziplocks, and pop a few moth crystals

(not
naphthalene, but the other stuff, paradichlorobenzene, I think) in your
storage facility.

I had heard this before but couldn't remember the details. Thanks for
posting here. Up to this point, I've only had them in a ziploc. Thus far I
haven't seen anything appear, but the animals were hunted and not roadkill
and I only took feathers with no blood/skin on them. I had hoped that would
reduce my potential problems until I could find this information. ...come
to think of it, I do also have a few turkey feathers I found in the woods.
Well, gotta go do some freezing...
Thanks again Scott,

Old September 22nd, 2003, 01:36 PM
Scott Seidman

"Hooked" wrote in news:UJSab.25279$eF3.14773
@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com:

"Tim J." wrote in message

Good advice for all. I don't even store "roadkill" in the same container
regardless of precautions.
--
TL,
Tim
------------------------
http://css.sbcma.com/timj

I don't know. Tying flies with your own game is kind of like catching fish
with your own flies. You increase your sense of accomplishment. If road
kill is your bag, that's your bag

Scott

Old September 23rd, 2003, 01:22 AM
Lat705

Recommend learning how to handle road kill (rubber gloves, mild clorox-water
soloution, freezer, etc.depending on the brand of road-killl. You can
introduce "bugs" into your body along with introducing bugs into your fly tying
material.