What can I catch in the Murray?

Old September 15th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Mil80C

Default What can I catch in the Murray?

Mike,
Don't ever leave the rod at home, it will guarantee you'll wish you'd taken
it five minutes after you arrive. If nothing else, you can have some good
sport on light tackle trying to get some of the European Carp onto the bank,
they then make great yabbie pot bait or should be simply killed and put back
in to feed the yabbies and shrimp.
BTW shrimp are great bait for the river.

"Mike Harding" wrote in message
I know next to nothing about fishing - and I'm camping on
the banks of the Murray east of Albury for a few days next
week. I understand Murray Cod are out of season at the
moment, is there anything else worth catching (to eat)
in that area or should I just leave the rod at home?

Thanks in advance
Mike Harding

Old September 15th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Old Joe

Mil80C wrote:

If nothing else, you can have some good
sport on light tackle trying to get some of the European Carp onto the bank,
they then make great yabbie pot bait or should be simply killed and put back
in to feed the yabbies and shrimp.

Isn't it illegal to return any carp - alive or dead - to the water?

Old September 17th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Mil80C

"Old Joe" wrote in message
Mil80C wrote:

If nothing else, you can have some good
sport on light tackle trying to get some of the European Carp onto the

bank,
they then make great yabbie pot bait or should be simply killed and put

back
in to feed the yabbies and shrimp.

Isn't it illegal to return any carp - alive or dead - to the water?

No it is not illegal to return dead carp to the water, for example live carp
can not be used as bait but dead carp (or parts of) can.