It's been a long time coming...

Old May 17th, 2007, 04:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Default It's been a long time coming...

I've been working a bunch lately and not nearly fishing enough, so when my
friend and guide service partner Gil called today and asked "wanna go
fishing?" I jumped at the chance even though it was a lousy day for fishing.
We're at the beginning of a cold front, 52 degrees with winds from the east
gusting to 30 mph. The water temps ranged from 59.4 - 60.8 at the lake.

He wanted to fish a local lake for walleyes so we picked up a bucket of
minnows. When we got on the water, I couldn't stand the thought of fishing
walleye with a jig/minnow, so I grabbed a 1/0 octopus hook and a 5" GoTo
Bait Company Tournament Stick bait and rigged it wacky style.

I caught a largemouth, a northern pike, a walleye and three smallmouth
before Gil put away the livebait and grabbed a Tournament Stick bait from
his box. He caught three or four smallies and we decided to wrap it up for
the day.

On the way to the landing, I told Gil to swing by a rock/rubble shoreline
for a couple minutes. Tossing the stick bait, I let it fall, feeling
"something." I set the hook and the rod just STOPPED in mid-swing. I
actually told Gil "Hold on, I'm hung up," when I felt the headshake!

The smallie was either lethargic from the cool water, but I don't think so,
based on the way she pulled. All I know is that she tried to jump several
times and couldn't get half her body out of the water!

I put a lip-lock on the fish and greatfully swung her over the side. She
measured 19.75 inches and weighed just shy of 5.5 pounds.

You can read the same story here, but with a picture of the beauty...

http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com/of/i...hp?serendipity[subpage]=forum&boardid=2&threadid=90
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old May 17th, 2007, 05:42 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

It's been a long time coming...

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Wed, May 16, 2007, 9:38pm (CDT-1)
From: (Steve*@*OutdoorFrontiers)
[...]
=========
Steve, WAY TO GO!!!!!!!

One nice fish!

John K

Old May 17th, 2007, 12:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
johnval1

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in message
I put a lip-lock on the fish and greatfully swung her over the side. She
measured 19.75 inches and weighed just shy of 5.5 pounds.

Gorgeous fish Steve, and a nice story that serves as an object lesson. I
took the sissy way out :-) and stayed off the water when that cold front
moved through MI.

Our current temp is in the 40s. Think I'll grab the gear and hit the lake.

Old May 17th, 2007, 02:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Charles Summers

Damn it looks cold up there... but that's a very nice fish Steve! On a
spinning rod no less, too!

Old May 17th, 2007, 02:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"John B" wrote in message SNIP
=========
Steve, WAY TO GO!!!!!!!

One nice fish!

John K

Thanks John,

It sure felt good. I just love it when the rod stops and you can't move the
fish on the hookset.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Old May 17th, 2007, 02:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"johnval1" wrote in message
t...

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in message
I put a lip-lock on the fish and greatfully swung her over the side. She
measured 19.75 inches and weighed just shy of 5.5 pounds.

Gorgeous fish Steve, and a nice story that serves as an object lesson. I
took the sissy way out :-) and stayed off the water when that cold front
moved through MI.

Our current temp is in the 40s. Think I'll grab the gear and hit the
lake.

It's 35 degrees now, but I'll bet the fish are still hitting. Probably just
look a little deeper. Go gettum tiger!
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Old May 17th, 2007, 02:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

From: (Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers)
[...]

Great fish Steve. I got one about five last year. I was amazed at how well
she fought. Smallies are incredible, but the biggest thing I think is that
they fight different than largemouth.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old May 17th, 2007, 03:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Charles Summers

Spoken like a true sportsman....

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in message

It was a fun fight on medium light spinning gear. :-)
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Old May 17th, 2007, 03:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Charles Summers" wrote in message
. ..
Damn it looks cold up there... but that's a very nice fish Steve! On a
spinning rod no less, too!

We had frost warnings last night and it was 33 degrees when I got up this
morning. It's warmed already to 48 degrees.

Old May 17th, 2007, 04:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message SNIP

Great fish Steve. I got one about five last year. I was amazed at how
well she fought. Smallies are incredible, but the biggest thing I think
is that they fight different than largemouth.

That's a fact JACK! Boom shakalaka...... :-)
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers