Another Double

Old July 11th, 2007, 01:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Default Another Double

I was taking a new guy out and teaching him a little about bass fishing on
the river. My very first cast of the morning was a double before I even got
my trolling motor deployed.

Later in the day I was teaching him about flipping. He asked me if you
could really catch bass just throwing your bait in the weeds like that. I
set the hook on a four pounder as he was breathing in, and replied, "Yep.
Once in a while."

Pictures in thread.
http://www.yumabassman.com/bulletinb...pic.php?t=1513

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old July 11th, 2007, 04:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Olebiker

Bob,

Speaking of flipping...

I am going to fish at Lake Iamonia (I'm not making that up) here in
North Florida this weekend. It is shallow, and much of it is covered
in pads. I figured that I would fish a Horny Toad but might also do
some flipping.

Do you ever use braided line for flipping? I loaded some 40# Power
Pro on the outfit I am going to be fishing the Toad with. It's the
first braided line I have used and it looks like it ought to be good
for flipping. Whatcha think?

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee

Old July 11th, 2007, 05:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Olebiker" wrote in message
ps.com...
Bob,

Speaking of flipping...

I am going to fish at Lake Iamonia (I'm not making that up) here in
North Florida this weekend. It is shallow, and much of it is covered
in pads. I figured that I would fish a Horny Toad but might also do
some flipping.

Do you ever use braided line for flipping?

Yes. I have several flipping sticks spooled with braid. I've got three or
four spooled with 50lb Stren Super Braid, and one spooled with 65. I do
have one flipping stick spooled with 20lb flourocarbon for flipping ultra
clear water, but I mostly just stays in the bottom of my rod locker out of
the way with a rod cover on it.

I loaded some 40# Power
Pro on the outfit I am going to be fishing the Toad with.

There is a kid here locally that is a wizard with a frog. He catches big
frog fish way back in the trash most of the year. He uses 40# braid. A
couple other guys I know also use 40# braid for frogs. I've use 30 myself
in the past and was not thrilled. If I am tossing it way back between all
the garbage I tend to throw it on 40. If I am dragging it over grass mats
and stuff like that where the vegetation has really made the water ultra
clear I'll use 17#mono instead on the same rod I use for buzzbaits. A
Med/Hvy moderate fast heavy crankbait rod.

It's the
first braided line I have used and it looks like it ought to be good
for flipping. Whatcha think?

Nothing wrong with Power Pro. Its strong stuff and very reliable. I used
to use it until I discovered Stren Super Braid. I've still got a spool of
50# PP on my quick spool rack.

There are a few tips for you.

1. You don't need a lot of braid on a flipping stick. If saving money is
an issue for you spool the reel about half full of mono first and then
attach the braid to it with back to back uniknots.

2. Braid will slip on the spool if tied directly to the spool with asn
arbor knot. I prefer to spool a little mono back on and then connect the
braid to it, but you can also wrap a singler layer of duct tape around the
spool and let the braid dig into it. Either method works just fine.

3. If you aren't used to casting such heavy line be careful. You can
break it easily under some circumstances. Don't cinch the drag down to a
dead stop and figure the line will handle anything. If you do that and set
the hook on a stump you will probably break the line. Also you will tear
the hook completely out of the fish while fighting it if you get a skin
hook. Set the drag to slip on the hookset on abotu a 2lb fish. That seems
to work for me.

4. If flipping with braid use Daiichi X-Point HD hooks. You want the
heavier hooks becuase you will striaghten out lighter hooks on snags and
stuff. Once you bend a hook of any brand you should throw it away and tie
on a new one because bending it loses most of its temper. You sure don't
want it straightening out on the fish of a lifetime.

5. Tie your hook to the braid with a super improved clinch knot. Trilene
Knot or a braid knot. A palomar works ok and won't slip, but it is not as
strong a knot in my opinion. If using the Trilene knot cinch it down by
pulling the tag end down smoothly and firmly after wetting the entire knot
with saliva. Then leave 1/4 to 3/8 of tag hanging off the knot. Sometimes
it will cinch down a little tighter the first time you set the hook. The
knot can slip a tiny bit when that happens.

6. Even though your are fishing braid check your line regularly and retie
periodically. You don't need to do it as often as fishing mono, but you
still need to do it. All things in use experience wear. Since I usually
fish braid in pretty adverse conditions I cut 10-20 feet off when I retie.

Old July 11th, 2007, 05:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
.. .
"Olebiker" wrote in message
[...]

Forgot one.

7. Include a "stump puller" in your gear. I use a piece of 1" oak dowel
wrapped in the middle with a couple wraps of duct tape. Its for when that
irressistable force meets that immovable object. Basically when you bury a
hook in a snag that won't move and your only choice is to break the line.
You can wrap the line around the strump puller sev eral times and then you
have a good solid safe handle to pull on it until it breaks or tears loose.
NEVER wrap brad around your hand or arm. It will cut you bad. If you don't
have a stump puller you can loop the braid around a boat cleat and back off
the boat, but my experience is that it breaks at the cleat instead of at the
hook or bait most of the time. This wastes line and leaves a hazard in the
water for outboard and trolling motor shaft seals.

Old July 11th, 2007, 06:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Olebiker

I appreciate the tips. I am really champing at the bit. I've been
seeing pictures of some really nice bass coming out of there. Along
with the bass, they have been catching some big pickerel, locally
known as "jacks."

Dick Durbin

Old July 11th, 2007, 08:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
johnval1

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Forgot one.

7. Include a "stump puller" in your gear.

Great tip Bob. I have been cutting the line and have lost yards of
perfectly good braid in doing so. This tip will save some very costly line.
Thanks.

John

Old July 12th, 2007, 04:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

johnval1 wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

Forgot one.

7. Include a "stump puller" in your gear.

Great tip Bob. I have been cutting the line and have lost yards of
perfectly good braid in doing so. This tip will save some very costly line.
Thanks.

John

Don't really need a separate item to lose track of in the boat. I just
wrap it around the rod handle a couple times, right behind the reel,
point the rod tip right at the snag, and pull.
Old July 12th, 2007, 05:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"RichZ" wrote in message
johnval1 wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

Forgot one.

7. Include a "stump puller" in your gear.

Great tip Bob. I have been cutting the line and have lost yards of
perfectly good braid in doing so. This tip will save some very costly
line. Thanks.

John

Don't really need a separate item to lose track of in the boat. I just
wrap it around the rod handle a couple times, right behind the reel, point
the rod tip right at the snag, and pull.

That is one way to do it. I am more comfortable with my stump puller when
ripping 65 pound braid out of the fragmata. Most of the experienced anglers
I know around here have a stump puller in the boat, but as one of them is
found of saying, "If what you are doing is working why change."

A similar arguement is that you don't need a balance beam in the boat if you
already have a scale. Well, I have a scale for when I catch a toad fun
fishing or when I am fishing a tournament with a funky pot, like the nearest
fish to two pounds (yes one local tourney has one). However, the balance
beam is way faster and more accurate than a scale. I can easily tell the
difference in weight between two fish of less than a tenth. I won a
tournament last year by right at a tenth of a pound. So while some folks
might say I am cluttering my boat up with a bunch of extra junk, I still
have both a scale and a balance beam in the boat right next to my stump
puller and my pruning shears.