Reflective rod tip

Old November 14th, 2004, 10:39 PM
jason.p

Default Reflective rod tip

Can anyone recommend the best material for making the rod tip reflective. I
have used the tape (?gemini) which is OK, but I have noticed others on the
beach much brighter.
Many thanks in advance.

Old November 14th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Lucky Luke

"jason.p" ha scritto nel messaggio
Can anyone recommend the best material for making the rod tip reflective.

have used the tape (?gemini) which is OK, but I have noticed others on the
beach much brighter.

Don't be shy to ask them...

Old November 15th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Marty

"Lucky Luke" wrote in message

"jason.p" ha scritto nel messaggio
Can anyone recommend the best material for making the rod tip

reflective.
have used the tape (?gemini) which is OK, but I have noticed others on

the
beach much brighter.

Don't be shy to ask them...

i have just recently bought some from uk hooks and it is very bright
(white-think they called it silver) but they also have other colours
give him a ring on +44 (0) 1983 868687
or find details about him here http://www.uk-hooks.org/

i buy most of my stuff from him and although his web site does not have
much apart from hooks if you ring or email for a catalogue he has an
extensive range of products

Old November 16th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Keith M

Jason

What you need is a reflective sleeve from a road cone or a bollard ( that it
the straight up and down one0 and preferably the type which sheds a
reflective sandy type of grit.
When you get home after raiding your local roadworks
take it out of its protective polythene sleeve and cut it into long strips
about 4mm wide.
Varnish the rod tip for the length that you want to be reflkective and when
the varnish is tacky wind the strip tightly up or down the rod and apply a
coat or two over the top to seal it and hold it down.
Leave to dry.
Buy some sun glasses.
Go night fishing.

Before you do all this go into a dark room and shine a torch on the sleeve
to ensure it is up to scratch..

I have not tried the reflective sleeve that appears to be diamond shaped.

Alternatively find someone who works in a road sign factory and get him to
collect some self adhesive 3M reflective material and carry on as before.

I did my rod tip years ago and it is still as good as the day when I did it.

Happy Hunting

Keith.

Old November 17th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Cliff

Jesus! instead of all that arseing about spend a quid at halfords & get
the militaty grade self adhesive tape

Old November 19th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Ian D

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:20:21 GMT, "Cliff"
wrote:

Jesus! instead of all that arseing about spend a quid at halfords & get
the militaty grade self adhesive tape

Well if that's the same stuff I recently bought there, don't bother.
It's reflective enough, but its adhesive qualities are poor, at least
when it's not applied to a flat surface. It unrolls after a very short
while, and either has to be glued down or overwound with a spiral of
clear mono or similar.
If you go to a half-decent bike shop you can get an A4 sized sheet of
self-adhesive Scotchlite. Not particularly cheap at around £10, but
can be cut into strips to suit the diam of the rod(s) you're using,
and one sheet will do at least six rods.

Cheers
Ian D