More chatterbait

Old May 16th, 2006, 12:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default More chatterbait

Saw an old thread about this bait. I had heard of them and figured
just another hype. Read about them in the FLW mag while practicing for
my Top Six last month and figured the same thing. Next day, five days
before the tournament went into a store at the lake and they had a big
sign but no baits. Woman said they had about five dozen and some guy
came in and bought them all, said he did not want anyone fishing
against him to have any. That is at $6.99 eacyh. Another store up the
road a few miles said they sold out over six dozen in two days.

Called a club member that was not fishing the Top Six and he said he
had some. I had to go home for a couple of days anyway so went by his
house and he gave me three to use. Went by the local bait and tackle
store the next day and ask - they had five, told them I wanted all five
but two guys in the store begged to get one each so I left there with
three.

Next day back at the lake the store that was sold out had some in so I
bought three more. Now had nine! Did not want to get on the lake and
my partner beat my brains out with a bait I did not have. Shared with
the team members in my club that were camping together, made sure we
all had one just in cast.

Night before tournament I was looking for some jig heads in my boat and
found a paper sack. It had two Chatterbaits in it - it was a sack of
samples I got last April at Georgia Outdoor Writers Assoc meeting. Been
carrying them around for a year without trying them out!

Threw one some in the tournament as did other club members. One guy
said he caught a keeper on one, I never got bit on it. No bites in my
pond, either.

I am sure they will catch bass - and bass fishermen, just like other
baits.

Old May 16th, 2006, 01:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

I witnessed them outfish my with a crankbait and spinnerbait 4 to1 on a
retirement pond last month. Since then, not a fish.

Just goes to show ya, There's a time and a place for everything.

Dave V

oups.com...

Old May 16th, 2006, 03:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Well, Ronnie, your lack of success may be because you weren't throwing the
new IMPROVED Ultra-flex Bozonium-alloy, Scent-impregnated, Sparkle-coated
Chatterbait-X with Super-Sonic Rattle Chamber that just appeared on store
shelves last week. Did I say store shelves? I should say cash registers.
These incredible baits are not in stock long enough to require shelf space,
because eager anglers are snatching them up in the stores as eagerly as bass
do in the lake!

Bass have, evidently, grown jaded to the old, first-generation Chatterbait
(or "Model A" as it's sometimes called), having been exposed to it for
several months now. The revolutionary Chatterbait-X, however, guarantees
that bass will never become accustomed to it because it constantly changes
shape and sound in the water. Each cast is like throwing a whole new, small,
struggling bass bon-bon into the water. Bass are powerless to refuse it! FLW
and B.A.S.S. are considering outlawing this new bait, but until they do,
expect all bass tournament weight records to be smashed! Smashed, I tell
you!!!

MSRP on the Chatterbait-X is $10.99, but usually when a store tears open a
carton, a bidding war breaks out, and dealers report selling them to the
jostling, cursing crowd of desperate anglers for upwards of $50 apiece.
Prices on eBay today ranged from $33 to $71 for lures still in original
bubble packs.

On a related note... Police raided a modest rancher near Morristown,
Tennessee this past weekend. Concealed beneath the house is an elaborate
metal shop that has been carved out of a natural cavern. Deputies are still
exploring the vast complex of storerooms, mostly filled with Chatterbait
knock-offs that had been staged for shipment to tackle shops across the U.S.
Evidently, the counterfeiters abandoned their worthless lures, which before
the great Chatterbait Drop-off, had a street value of approximately $5
million. Now that the Chatterbait-X is on the market, demand for the Model
As has completely vanished. Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency has arranged
with Hamblin County Sheriff's department to take the entire load of baits,
wire them together, and use them as fish-repellents around power plant
cooling water intakes.

Joe

oups.com...

Old May 16th, 2006, 12:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Joe Haubenreich wrote:
[...]

"Ronnie" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Joe, you the Man!

That was a very good read. The funny thing is there are probably
anglers out there that would believe this; and be foaming at the mouth
like a bull dog to get ahold of this new Chatterbait-X! The sad thing
here is; there are other baits that they could purchase that would be
more for their money and also be more consistant.

It just goes to show the power of a PRO winning money in a tournament
on a bait. After this along with the marketing of this happening, the
craze begins!

I have a few of the Chatterbaits. It is not a catch-all lure. It has a
time and place as any bait. I have caught fish with it, and more with
My own bait. One thing is for sure; most anglers I have takled to, or
read reports are fishing the bait completely wrong. But, I will not
enlighten them. Just as I have figured out somethings that only my good
friends, and sponsors will know about for the time being.

-Justin

www.SecretWeaponLures.com
www.AllTerrainTackle.com

Old May 16th, 2006, 01:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Justin - Joe

I, like a lot of others bought a couple of these "Chatter baits" because it
was new, and like a lot of people, we're [I'm] are just plain gullible.
After fishing it a few times without as much as a look [and finally one
fish] I'm back to fishing what I know works .And putting good fish in the
boat. .In fairness to the bait, it does have tremendous action and movement
but unless the fish are actively aggressive, nothing. This bait seems
destined for the" wouldn't catch a starving fish box". Put any of your new
baits out there and I'll buy one

Ken Blevins

wrote in message
oups.com...
Joe Haubenreich wrote:
[...]

oups.com...

Old May 16th, 2006, 02:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Ken Blevins" wrote in message
Justin - Joe

I, like a lot of others bought a couple of these "Chatter baits" because

it
was new, and like a lot of people, we're [I'm] are just plain gullible.
After fishing it a few times without as much as a look [and finally one
fish] I'm back to fishing what I know works .And putting good fish in the
boat. .In fairness to the bait, it does have tremendous action and

movement
but unless the fish are actively aggressive, nothing. This bait seems
destined for the" wouldn't catch a starving fish box". Put any of your new
baits out there and I'll buy one

Ken Blevins

Interesting Ken. I was thinking just the opposite. That it might work for
negative fish the same way a slow moving crank bait bounced off a tree can
in cold stained water.

Old May 16th, 2006, 05:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Talk about a marketing ploy. I actually met someone on the lake who had
a couple of them, and let me take a couple tosses with them. He was
pretty excited just to have them. Really nothing special, nothing a
spinnerbait and/or Swim jig couldn't handle.

Just my opinion of course. Just like when Balsa B's went to $10 each, I
switched brands, and still did pretty darn good. It goes back to our
old thread of people putting too much stake in the lure itself, and not
taking enough credit for presentation and location. The Hype is so huge
, that someone will take one out and fish every single area with it, and
maybe catch 10 fish, especially since they have all the confidence in
the world they are going to catch fish. The bait must work, everyone is
buying it, the classic was almost won with it....Oh my god!

I guess I will end up being a day late again, but $10 ahead.

Chris
Joe Haubenreich wrote:
[...]

oups.com...

Old May 16th, 2006, 10:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Chatterbaits are in the retail stores for $6 Chris, and are well worth the
price. My biggest 5 the other day weighed 24#+, all on the white 3/8 oz
Chatterbait. The limit included a 7, 6.5 & 5. In a NJ lake no less. Don't
knock it...

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

.. .

Joe Haubenreich wrote:
[...]

oups.com...

Old May 16th, 2006, 10:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Warren -- with a limit like that maybe you can give out a few pointers out
to the poor , confused and the misinformed
Ken Blevins

Joe Haubenreich wrote:
[...]

oups.com...

Old May 16th, 2006, 10:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Sure Ken, though I hardly consider myself an expert on the bait. I've only
thrown it on a few occasions. It seems to shine in shallow water at or
around the spawn. I've had no luck on it in cold water but once the temps
hit the low 60's they really got on the bait well. It's your basic crank &
wind retrieve. I caught my bass Saturday by bumping wood with it just like
a shallow crank or spinnerbait. The fish really responded to the
contact/deflection. I used 25# big game to keep it up in the water column,
a trick I've been using with many baits lately with great results. I think
alot of guys don't bother contacting cover with thier baits & miss the boat
because of that. Let me know if I can answer any specific questions. I,
for one, am big on the chatterbait.

Warren
--

Joe Haubenreich wrote:
[...]