Trout fishing with worms

Old January 18th, 2004, 09:32 PM
mary

Default Trout fishing with worms

When I was a kid, my father and I would fish for bluegills, sunfish and so
forth with worms. Trout fishing came up, and I asked my father if we could
go trout fishing. He said you could not catch trout with worms. Once I got
"older", I was visiting a private trout hatchery that stocked , I guess,
private streams. The person at the hatchery said that only "jerks" fished
for trout using worms. He implied that using worms to catch trout was really
easy, and no challenge. Now I am confused. My father acted as if you could
not possibly catch trout with worms, and the "expert" acted as if catching
trout with worms was like shooting ducks in your bathtub. Any opinions about
this?

Thanks

Tom

Old January 18th, 2004, 10:09 PM
daytripper

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:32:45 -0500, "mary" wrote:

When I was a kid, my father and I would fish for bluegills, sunfish and so
forth with worms. Trout fishing came up, and I asked my father if we could
go trout fishing. He said you could not catch trout with worms. Once I got
"older", I was visiting a private trout hatchery that stocked , I guess,
private streams. The person at the hatchery said that only "jerks" fished
for trout using worms. He implied that using worms to catch trout was really
easy, and no challenge. Now I am confused. My father acted as if you could
not possibly catch trout with worms, and the "expert" acted as if catching
trout with worms was like shooting ducks in your bathtub. Any opinions about
this?

Thanks

Tom

Dad was inspiring you to reach higher...
Old January 18th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Wolfgang

"mary" wrote in message
When I was a kid, my father and I would fish for bluegills, sunfish and so
forth with worms. Trout fishing came up, and I asked my father if we could
go trout fishing. He said you could not catch trout with worms. Once I got
"older", I was visiting a private trout hatchery that stocked , I guess,
private streams. The person at the hatchery said that only "jerks" fished
for trout using worms. He implied that using worms to catch trout was

really
easy, and no challenge. Now I am confused. My father acted as if you could
not possibly catch trout with worms, and the "expert" acted as if catching
trout with worms was like shooting ducks in your bathtub. Any opinions

about
this?

I caught my first trout on worms.....but not until after I'd been skunked a
couple of times. Yeah, they can be pretty easy on worms but there are still
no guarantees. They can also be pretty easy on flies, with the same
qualification. The truth, although it doesn't get much air time, is that it
generally isn't all that difficult to catch stream dwelling trout regardless
of method.

Wolfgang

Old January 18th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Tim J.

"Wolfgang" wrote...

"mary" wrote...
When I was a kid, my father and I would fish for bluegills, sunfish and so
forth with worms. Trout fishing came up, and I asked my father if we could
go trout fishing. He said you could not catch trout with worms. Once I got
"older", I was visiting a private trout hatchery that stocked , I guess,
private streams. The person at the hatchery said that only "jerks" fished
for trout using worms. He implied that using worms to catch trout was

really
easy, and no challenge. Now I am confused. My father acted as if you could
not possibly catch trout with worms, and the "expert" acted as if catching
trout with worms was like shooting ducks in your bathtub. Any opinions

about
this?

It's not a matter of "could", but a matter of "should."

I caught my first trout on worms.....but not until after I'd been skunked a
couple of times. Yeah, they can be pretty easy on worms but there are still
no guarantees. They can also be pretty easy on flies, with the same
qualification. The truth, although it doesn't get much air time, is that it
generally isn't all that difficult to catch stream dwelling trout regardless
of method.

Well, who in their right mind would do it if it were difficult? ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

GO PATS!
http://css.sbcma.com/timj

Old January 19th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Wolfgang

"Tim J." wrote in message

"Wolfgang" wrote...

...The truth, although it doesn't get much air time, is that it
generally isn't all that difficult to catch stream dwelling trout

regardless
of method.

Well, who in their right mind would do it if it were difficult? ;-)

Zackly! Um.....well, there IS one other important consideration. It also
has to be easy to make it LOOK difficult........else why would anyone
bother?

TL,
Tim
who is sipping a nice glass of Merlot waiting for the Yankee pot roast to

be
done.

Hm.......a jenyuwhine authentic classic, with all the right ingredients and
none of the wrong, Yankee pot roast?.....or.....?

Wolfgang

Old January 19th, 2004, 01:14 AM
Charlie Wilson

I'd rather eat worms than fish with them.

Old January 19th, 2004, 01:27 AM
Mike Connor

"mary" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
He said you could not catch trout with worms.
Tom

One may catch trout on just about anything, worms, cheese, bread, liver, etc
etc. It is merely more elegant to do it with flies.

Definition of fishing = "A jerk on one end, waiting for a jerk on the other
end".

TL
MC

Old January 19th, 2004, 02:05 AM
George Cleveland

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:07:54 GMT, "Tim J."
wrote:

"Wolfgang" wrote...

parasitized trout stuff snipped

Tim
who is sipping a nice glass of Merlot waiting for the Yankee pot roast to be
done. Whaddaya gonna do about THAT, T?

GO PATS!
http://css.sbcma.com/timj

Just got done having a meal of organic ham (although on further thought,
there is probably nothing such as inorganic ham, although on even further
thought you couldn't prove it by some of the ham I've eaten), mashed taters
and broccolli. Washing it down with a Leinies Red Lager.

Sometimes its good to be a peasant.

g.c.
Old January 19th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Mike

I did a pretty good job catching trout on worms ...meal worms.....power
bait.....spinners.....but go down to your local stream about 6 or 7:00 at
night without a rod you will see dimples on the water or splashy rises or
jumping trout the surely ain't going after worms.... catch one of the bugs
thats flying around your head thats what they are eating......over a season the
flyfisherman will catch more and bigger and better fish the a bait slinger will
IMHO

Handyman Mike
Standing in a river waving a stick

Old January 19th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Big Dale

Mike wrote:snipOne may catch trout on just about anything, worms, cheese,
bread, liver, etc
etc. It is merely more elegant to do it with flies.

I gotta go with Mike on this one. Trout will eat anything catfish will.

Big Dale