Smallmouth Spinner Flies

Old June 13th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Skip

Default Smallmouth Spinner Flies

Does anyone have any patterns for flies with
spinner blades? Fishing a river with alot of
timber cover. Spinner bait with the spinning
rod is great. Need some ideas.

Old June 14th, 2005, 02:06 AM
daytripper

On 13 Jun 2005 03:07:40 -0700, "Skip" wrote:

Does anyone have any patterns for flies with
spinner blades? Fishing a river with alot of
timber cover. Spinner bait with the spinning
rod is great. Need some ideas.

I suppose you could slip a small spinner blade on your stout leader, followed
by an appropriately sized bead, followed by a Wooly Bugger.

But if you're going to fish spinners, why not just tie a Real One on your
leader and be done with it? Why reinvent the wheel?

/daytripper (It's hardware either way...)
Old June 14th, 2005, 02:19 PM
DaveMohnsen

"Skip" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have any patterns for flies with
spinner blades? Fishing a river with alot of
timber cover. Spinner bait with the spinning
rod is great. Need some ideas.

Skip,
Do a google search for a fly/lure called a Pistol Pete. Basically a woolly
worm with a propeller blade at the front.
Apparently originated in Southern Colorado. I used to put together a few for
spin fishers.
Chris Furia is the name of the guy who introduced it to Southern Colorado in
the '70s.
I used to do a little pre-production work, for various flies, for his
company Hi-Country Flies, when when I was messing around in the industry for
a fly manufacturer here. (at that time never did this fly/lure for
production . . .but I certainly did pre-production samples)
I tested them . . . but not for fish. Only for the action of the blade.
That was my concern. Found I had to tweak(sp?) the blades a bit to get a
good rotation in some cases.
I've never really "fished" the thing. Seems okay probably with a spin rig,
with a bubble and it. Could work just hanging/swinging it down stream with
a fly rod, if you have the current to spin the blade, and bring it into the
fish.
And you don't want algae or various moss/weed stuff. You have to clean it
off after every cast for blade rotation.
I have seen the flies, in a couple of the "Marts". Check that out. I'm
sure many people could teach you to tie one in less than 15 minutes. I take
30 minutes , or more, because I'm rather chatty for a first fly.
Hope that helps a bit.
DaveMohnsen
Denver

Old June 14th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Frank Reid

Does anyone have any patterns for flies with
spinner blades? Fishing a river with alot of
timber cover. Spinner bait with the spinning
rod is great. Need some ideas.

Take a Beetle Spin, just use the wire and blade, and attach it to any well
weighted fly of your choice. Worked well for me in Nebraska.
One of my favorites is a 4 inch piece of zonker tied onto a hook. Also,
something like a Murray's Helgrammite will work.

--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

Old June 14th, 2005, 09:36 PM
B. B.

Try these.
Streamers, Black Calf (wet), Bloody Butcher(wet)
Smallies like ACTION. Try a pattern thats fluffy, flashy, or natural.
As I'm writing this note, I'm leaning toward Zonkers.
Tight Lines,
Brad

oups.com...

Old June 14th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Flyfish

"Skip" wrote in news:1118657260.140854.139290
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Does anyone have any patterns for flies with
spinner blades? Fishing a river with alot of
timber cover. Spinner bait with the spinning
rod is great. Need some ideas.

My local tying shop sells small propellers that go on your hook before you
tie your streamer. Seriously. He has rattles too.

:rolls eyes:

Flyfish :-)
Old June 15th, 2005, 01:43 AM
LD Whitley

This ought to be what you're looking for. I saw them a month or two ago
and was intrigued, but haven't gotten around to tying any. Let me know
how it works...

Spinner'd Minners: The author is Fox Statler
http://www.fishinwhattheysee.com/Spinner'd%20Minners.html

Larry

PS: Google Fox Statler for some other interesting patterns. His
crawfish looks intriging.
http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10201.htm
Old June 15th, 2005, 01:27 PM
sandy