casting into wind

Old May 24th, 2004, 01:21 AM
Lure builder

Default casting into wind

On occasion i have to cast into the wind in certain fishing situations. There
are several problems. First the lure tends to tumble and the line entangles
with the hooks. Second if it is cold it is down right uncomfortable. Third the
casting distance can be diminished by the wind. The upside is that fish often
gather on the windy shore side to pick off the baitfish. I have found the ideal
rod is 6 foot 6 inch rapala. It is short and you can do a low bullet cast
through the under belly of the wind. I actually find it more effective to fish
under these circumstances. Just thought i would share this tidbit.
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Jeff Durham

I have often wondered if the windy shoreline would produce more or less fish
than the calm shoreline on a windy day given that both shorelines are
similar with regards to other factors like temperature, depth, and
structure.

Any thoughts on this? I tend to seek out the protected coves or shorelines
for my own comfort. The wind drives me nuts.

Jeff

Old May 24th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Lure builder

Last few days i've fished on the windy side and done very well. I take a break
sometimes and go to wind protected coves for my own comfort. The windy side has
no fishing pressure since there is no fair weather anglers present.
I have read that fish go to the windy side since the baitfish are driven there.

Old May 24th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Jeff Durham" wrote in message
I have often wondered if the windy shoreline would produce more or less

fish
than the calm shoreline on a windy day given that both shorelines are
similar with regards to other factors like temperature, depth, and
structure.

Any thoughts on this? I tend to seek out the protected coves or

shorelines
for my own comfort. The wind drives me nuts.

The prevalent theory on this is to fish the windy shoreline. The theory
goes something like this.....The wind blows zooplankton and such in,
bringing with it the minnows that feed on such. The wave action also stirs
up the bottom somewhat, and the crustacians are out and about feeding. This
activity brings in the gamefish that feed on the minnows and critters.

But, with that being said, on windy days, I've also done very well seeking
out protected areas and fishing them. I guess you just have to try both and
see what's producing that day.

Like everything else in fishing, let the fish tell you what they prefer.
I've found that the fish don't pay any attention to what's been written in
books, magazines or on the internet.

Stupid fish!
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old May 24th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Charles Summers

From what I've been taught:

A single windy day is different than a few windy days. A week (give or take
a couple of days) or so of wind, is suppose to drive, or blow, the stuff
that the baitfish eat toward that side of the lake, which in turn drives the
baitfish there, then the bass will follow. Of course, the wind speed will
make a huge difference in how fast and how much get's blow in that
direction.

I hate fishing in the wind, but sometimes... you just gotta do it.

Old May 24th, 2004, 02:35 PM
alwaysfishking

I agree, if I were to analyze everything I wouldn't have time to fish. Look
for a spot that looks fishy and throw something at it. On the way back throw
something different. Cruised the lake today and caught 6 bass this morning
most on sticks near shoreline, but one came in open water and the biggest
3.5 came off a sunny bank, with absolutely nothing fishy about it. Go
figure, I like fishing in the wind as long as it's not too windy
"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

Old May 24th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Lure builder

If you are into the astetics (sp) you will fish quiet little coves like Chas.
In his brain it looks like where the fish ought to be. Fish are guided by
something on a higher order than that being their feeding instinct. That's why
it is good to try the windy side. I'm going to try this evening.

Old May 24th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Lure builder

Charles
Are you referring to me, Al?